Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tough Pork Chops

Options
Kjunbob
Kjunbob Posts: 118
I've cooked thick pork chops on my Egg several times, and each time they do come out rather tough.  I want to try it again tomorrow. 

Previously, I have used a reverse sear technique, but haven't brined the chops prior to cooking.  Will it help to brine them in advance?   I am wondering if this is just a function of the chops or something that I might be doing wrong.  Any hints to avoid this and to get tender chops?  
Thanks
Large Egg.  New Orleans Area

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    What was the internal temp of the finished pork chop?
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    My guess would be overcooked a little.
    Most people overcook pork IMO.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This works for me. Thinking Beli gave it to me years ago but not sure:
    Best thick pork chops (rib chops).

Simple brine, 1/2 c kosher salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2-3 cups water...brine the chops a few hours (zip lock gallon bag is perfect). Pat dry, coffee rub and cook 'em hot and fast 450. preferred internal here would be to pull at 135/138 tops...carryover during the rest will bring them to 145* +/-. Keep it simple! Just don't cook 'em to death!!  Rest and foil 5/10 mins till 143/145

…:::…:…:.;.;.:.:.......   OR

450/500 Direct  PECAN rub and spicy garlic rub

Cook pork chops on the grill about 5-7 minutes on each side to an internal temperature of 135°F (57°C)—spot check the temperature 

• Pull from the grill and allow to rest on a cutting board, tented with foil, for about 5-10 minutes. Spot check the internal temperature after about 5 minutes with a ThermoPop to be sure you’re at, or almost at the target temp of 145°F (63°C). The ThermoPop’s speedy 5-6 second readings will keep your hand from burning when spot checking temps on the grill. (If your pork chops don’t rise all the way to 145°F, you can throw them back on the grill for a minute or two.)

It’s important to cook pork thoroughly, but so easy to err on the side of overcooking. With these key temps you can be sure to avoid serving tough, dry pork chops. Spot checking for the right pull temperature is the key to juicy pork chops

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Kjunbob
    Kjunbob Posts: 118
    Options
    Thanks.. I don't recall the internal temp last time, but I will brine as suggested, cook direct, and pay close attention to pull temp at 135.  I have a thermo-pen to give an accurate instant temp reading.

Large Egg.  New Orleans Area
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Once I brined my first set of poke chops, I never looked back.  And, yeah, slightly pink pork is fine nowadays.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Botch said:
    Once I brined my first set of poke chops, I never looked back.  And, yeah, slightly pink pork is fine nowadays.  
    Amen on both counts!
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Another option is to inject the chops if they are thick enough. I've used the Kosmos pork injection with good results. It will certainly result in tender chops.
    I cook to 145 Deg internal temp.