Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokware cap

Options
Who all uses this aftermarket cap. Is it really worth it. Does it really control the temp better. I've only seen them in adds but can you set it at x amount of opening and always get x temp out of it. Just trying to decide if this will be my next fix for this bge addiction. Thanks.

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I have it on every egg and a lot of others do too here. 

Way cheaper than the new BGE version with the rain cap. It has its advantages over the old style DFMT. No complaints about it

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Not a game changer, but they are very nice.  I've sold hundreds of them, never had anyone that brought one back or said they didn't like it.

I only have one at home, so I'll still use my old daisy wheel with a coffee can if I'm running 2+ eggs at once and it's raining.

The one thing is does all you to do is ventilate......if you dont use an egg very much, you can leave the draft door and cap open,  no worries about rain.
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I was gifted one at Christmas. I Never would have purchased it myself just because if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.  The jury  is still out for me. Worked fine but after one use it looks pretty damn nasty. The daisy disguised that pretty well. Also,  didn’t really  dig the smoke blowing out laterally instead of up.  Made for a smaller comfortable “space “ around the egg. Has some advantages like not moving when you raise the lid. The rain thing has never been an issue for me. IMO you would have to pour a pitcher  water directly into the top to effect a cook. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Got tired of it “gunking” up, which made it hard to open/close vent.  Gave it several cleanings with Easy Off in past year, and finally sold it on eBay a couple weeks ago.  Bought a Reggulator from CGS and love it.  Easier to adjust and no more burned fingers!
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I can see how it could gunk up easily based on the appearance of mine after one cook. Another plus of the daisy wheel is cleaning it by putting it inside the hot egg. I do that every time I shut it down. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    Way better in the rain, Setting doesnt change when the lid is lifted, Living in a very salty environment rust is not an issue. Other than those things, for me, its not a game changer...
  • tanner
    Options

Hey guys check out grilldome s old top cap I have 2 1 for the dome and 1 for the egg.

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    I bought one when my daisy wheel broke in a tragic accident. I like it and actually find it quite easy to keep clean. Since I do a lot of grilling on my egg during the week it sees more higher heat cooks with less gunk so I don’t really notice build up gunk until I do a low slow cook. 

After something like a pork butt I’ll just rinse in the sink and hit with the sponge then throw it in the dishwasher. Wiping it down with a rag and a tiny bit of oil gets it looking like new. 
  • BigreenGreg
    Options
    Goo Gone Grill & Grate Cleaner works well to de-gunk them, use mine only when rain is expected.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • tanner
    Options
    Hey Jethro ,that's the fancy one, their old cap is on there grills in pics on their site
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I bought one and used it for a while. It was fine. I have since put reggulators on and much prefer their simple design and use over the smokeware. My biggest smokeware gripe? It’s flimsiness and tendency to come off when uncovering my eggs. Not an issue if you run without a cover. 
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    No more mold in Eggs during humid summers in South central Virginia during periods of non use with the Smokeware cap. I leave top and bottom vents open giving enough air movement to keep internal moisture down.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited January 2020
    Options
       I don’t own one and prolly never will because I’m of the old school DW thought.  The daisy works fine for when I decide to use it.  Most of the time it sits on the shelf and I control from bottom vent only. In the case I use the DW it is for a low temp and is barely open.  If it’s being used in the rain is so closed there isn’t enough rain gonna get in to mess with my cook. 

Use what works for you but realize this cap isn’t a necessity 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    It's been raining here a bunch lately, including tonight which I plan to fire the egg up.  It would be nice to have a better covering for rain, although I'm sure it doesn't matter. 

The new BGE hardware seems ok, but as always is expensive.  

The smokeware product looks awesome and I almost bought one.  It seems like they require a good bit of maintenance to look and stay in tip top shape.  The DW just always reliably grinds along.

What am I missing about the smokeware?
    NC - LBGE
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I love my smokeware cap and do very little maintenance.  It opens and closes fine once it is heated up. A couple times/year I bring it in and use some "bar keepers friend" on it to clean it up.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • wardo
    Options
    Shiff said:
    I love my smokeware cap and do very little maintenance.  It opens and closes fine once it is heated up. A couple times/year I bring it in and use some "bar keepers friend" on it to clean it up.
    Does it come completely clean and look new?  That seems to be the struggle I hear with folks.
    NC - LBGE
  • Cornholio
    edited January 2020
    Options
    wardo said:
    Shiff said:
    Does it come completely clean and look new?  That seems to be the struggle I hear with folks.
    Yes, I use home brew equipment cleaning powder to soak mine then I hit it with some oil and it looks brand new. For quick gunk cleans I just throw it in the dishwasher after cleaning it in the sink with a sponge and it stays clean. Really not a lot of work to keep it clean. 

Just took this picture and I haven’t done a real cleaning on this thing in awhile, owned it for two years now.

• wardo
    Options
    How long do you think it's been since you cleaned it?
    NC - LBGE
  • lentsboy007
    Options
    Not a game changer, but they are very nice.  I've sold hundreds of them, never had anyone that brought one back or said they didn't like it.

I only have one at home, so I'll still use my old daisy wheel with a coffee can if I'm running 2+ eggs at once and it's raining.

The one thing is does all you to do is ventilate......if you dont use an egg very much, you can leave the draft door and cap open,  no worries about rain.
    Question : I’ve heard these things get gunked up with grease and are a pain to clean.  Everytime I finish a cook and shut the egg down , I set my daisy wheel inside and this basically cleans it as the egg slowly goes out. Can u do this with the smokeware cap , or is it not good for stainless steal ? 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• littlerascal56
    Options
    Don’t think you would be impressed with the results....your pretty cap would be discolored and warped from the extreme heat.
  • Cornholio
    Options
    wardo said:
    How long do you think it's been since you cleaned it?
    Wiped while warm, recently.

Completely cleaned, over six months.

We moved in to this house in May and I haven’t cleaned it here with a soak and scrub. As long as it isn’t sticking I really don’t care. I posted earlier in this thread and mentioned that I do a lot of grilling on my egg so the higher heat cooks don’t really gunk it up, especially since the egg lid is only closed during the heat up for most of those meals. When I do a lot of low and slows then it gets thrown in the dishwasher more. I really only do a deep clean when I have an itch to make it look new inside and out.  
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Question, how much more is a “Smokware” cap than the “Smokeware” cap?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• wardo
    Options
    ^^^great question!

I do this a bunch with my DW and it's been great to keep it clean.

FWIW I did just hit my DW with a metal brush and olive oil and it looks almost brand new.  This was mostly for my vanity😬
    NC - LBGE
  • Cornholio
    Options

Question : I’ve heard these things get gunked up with grease and are a pain to clean.  Everytime I finish a cook and shut the egg down , I set my daisy wheel inside and this basically cleans it as the egg slowly goes out. Can u do this with the smokeware cap , or is it not good for stainless steal ? 
    It has a little rubber/plastic cover on the slide piece you use to open/close the vents so that could melt inside a hot egg. I really don’t think much about it, just take it off when done and stick it in my gasser/storage rack (or sometimes just use it to shut the egg down and leave it on top). 

Do people clean burn their eggs every cook? It really is easy to keep looking clean on the outside and as long as it isn’t sticking really nothing to it. I’ve spent maybe a total of 45 minutes cleaning mine over a couple of years and most of that was just being anal.

It works fine and if you want it pretty it isn’t much work.
  • lentsboy007
    Options
    Cornholio said:

It has a little rubber/plastic cover on the slide piece you use to open/close the vents so that could melt inside a hot egg. I really don’t think much about it, just take it off when done and stick it in my gasser/storage rack (or sometimes just use it to shut the egg down and leave it on top). 

Do people clean burn their eggs every cook? It really is easy to keep looking clean on the outside and as long as it isn’t sticking really nothing to it. I’ve spent maybe a total of 45 minutes cleaning mine over a couple of years and most of that was just being anal.

No not concerned with appearance , just have heard they get gunked up easily and won’t slide open and shut easily . I have been back and forth on getting one for some time 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• Cornholio
    Options
    Cornholio said:

No not concerned with appearance , just have heard they get gunked up easily and won’t slide open and shut easily . I have been back and forth on getting one for some time 
    I don’t really mess with my cap much during a cook so even if it is a little gunked up I can move it. It doesn’t slide around like a hot knife cutting through butter but that’s not what I am really concerned with.

My daisy wheel broke so I bought it and it works great and is easy to clean. My $0.02
  • PrivateJoker
    Options
    I am not real thrilled with mine.
    1. Can't set anything to under 250 now.
    2. Even though they claim it will snuff the coals it seems to be hit or miss for me. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I am not real thrilled with mine.
    1. Can't set anything to under 250 now.
    2. Even though they claim it will snuff the coals it seems to be hit or miss for me. 

I normally try to never butt in on these "like or hate" after market product threads - BUT your reply really strikes me as wanting/needing some help!

Why you can't set it under 250, nor can't snuff your coals baffles me!

Don't you have the gasket in place that came with your SmokeWare?

Have you contacted Matt at SmokeWare with your issues? If not then WHY not?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.