Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

review - BGE vs. KJ - Which indirect setup is the best? I tested them

Options
Just posted my #1 most requested video to YouTube - you’ve asked how does my Big Green Egg (L) compare to my Kamado Joe Classic III? 

To illustrate the difference between the Eggs indirect setup and the two indirect setups on the Kamado Joe I’ve devised a test with three 18” baguettes to show the pros and cons of each configuration and find a winner.  I’ve taken my time to get to this review after my most recent KJ Classic purchase so that I could really understand the differences and share what I’ve learned from cooking on them each many times. Let me know what you think, still trying to figure out the YouTube thing.  

Comments

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    Forgot to mention I spent some time showing the SloRoller in the video as that was a popular discussion on here when it was first announced 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    Cool video.  I enjoyed the bread demo and conclusions.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Good video!!

One thing to note, the large BGE plate setter now has a larger deflector size.  You have the older ones that has a 2" gap or so, the new ones are less than an inch in the gap for that exact reason......more like the gap on the KJ's when using the half stones.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Good video!!

One thing to note, the large BGE plate setter now has a larger deflector size.  You have the older ones that has a 2" gap or so, the new ones are less than an inch in the gap for that exact reason......more like the gap on the KJ's when using the half stones.
    Thanks that’s good to know. 
  • brentm
    brentm Posts: 422
    Options
    Nice video.  It certainly looks like the Kamado Joe is packing a lot of value.

I'm more curious if the parts are interchangeable between the brands...  I'd like the bands from the Kamado on my egg.  Most of the other accessories are either available from Egg or 3rd parties.

I'd also be interested in a projectfarm-type video on the thermal differences in the ceramic.   Perhaps the heat decay from both units at the same temperature.  Performance testing like this would probably require two brand new units.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    brentm said:

I'm more curious if the parts are interchangeable between the brands...  I'd like the bands from the Kamado on my egg.  Most of the other accessories are either available from Egg or 3rd parties.

I'd also be interested in a projectfarm-type video on the thermal differences in the ceramic.   Perhaps the heat decay from both units at the same temperature.  Performance testing like this would probably require two brand new units.
    Interesting use of words. Value. They are considerably more expensive. You can buy a plethora of add on products for an egg and still be less expensive. This should be discussed if you intend to do apples to apples. 

I would also like to see some actual food cooked on each and a blind taste test. 
  • brentm
    brentm Posts: 422
    Options
    Interesting use of words. Value. They are considerably more expensive. You can buy a plethora of add on products for an egg and still be less expensive. This should be discussed if you intend to do apples to apples. 

I would also like to see some actual food cooked on each and a blind taste test. 
    I haven't priced them.  I assumed the way it was presented the "out of the box" experience, that they were similarly priced.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @pgprescott lots of options for the egg.  I feel that looking at the KJ Classic for $749 vs the Lg egg is the most realistic comparison. Honestly they are the same in my opinion. 

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• SmokeyLopey
    Options
    I believe I remember the instructions for the egg indicating we should install the platesetter with one leg toward the back. You have a leg to the the front. I wonder how the test would come out with the other setup. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    ryantt said:
    @pgprescott lots of options for the egg.  I feel that looking at the KJ Classic for $749 vs the Lg egg is the most realistic comparison. Honestly they are the same in my opinion. 

I believe even the bare classic II is $1200. You may get some blowout deals, but anything with the new stuff included by KJ is more expensive. I agree, the older models are very similar. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    brentm said:

I haven't priced them.  I assumed the way it was presented the "out of the box" experience, that they were similarly priced.
    Nope. Not even close. 
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    I believe I remember the instructions for the egg indicating we should install the platesetter with one leg toward the back. You have a leg to the the front. I wonder how the test would come out with the other setup. 
    Other way around.....PS leg to the front to keep the dome temp probe insulated from direct heat.
  • ryantt
    Options
    brentm said:

Nope. Not even close. 
    The only one that is close price wise to the LG egg is the classic 1 they sell at Lowe’s it’s 749.  The classic 2 and 3 are way more expensive.  

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    brentm said:

Nope. Not even close. 
    I can’t speak for all markets and currencies but in Canada a large egg comparably equipped would require a nest with side shelves, a charcoal basket, ash pan and tool, eggspander, half moon stones, reggulator with rain cap etc and would cost significantly more than a stock Kamado Joe and not have the SloRoller, gasket or hinge. 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    brentm said:

Most everything except the SloRoller fits in an egg. I believe some people bought the divide and conquer system before the eggspander came out. The half moons fit. I used a kJ cast iron on my egg with the cgs rig 
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    ryantt said:

I believe even the bare classic II is $1200. You may get some blowout deals, but anything with the new stuff included by KJ is more expensive. I agree, the older models are very similar. 
    Yes, a Classic II has a MSRP of $1200......it comes with the stand, side tables, D&C rack, 2 half stones, ash tool, grill, and gripper.  It also has the zero lift hinge, new gasket, ash clean out tray, and the rain cap.

A Large BGE on the 2018 price sheet with the equivalent......nest, mates, ash tool, and a gripper is already $1200 BEFORE you add the Eggfringer (AKA eggspander) and/or plate setter.

If no one pays MSRP for a BGE and they're cheaper, no one pays MSRP for a KJ either.  Especially when the Classic 2's are at Costco for $900 and straight Classic 1's can be had on Amazon, Lowes.com, etc for under $700.

You can't really compare a $1600 MSRP'd Classic 3 to a LBGE because it's taller and has stuff that isn't available for a LBGE.  But by the time you add a $100 KAB with divider, the $100+ for the hyperbolic insert, a better stand/nest, metal shelves, you're gaining 4" and a third level of cooking for cheap.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    ryantt said:

Yes, a Classic II has a MSRP of $1200......it comes with the stand, side tables, D&C rack, 2 half stones, ash tool, grill, and gripper.  It also has the zero lift hinge, new gasket, ash clean out tray, and the rain cap.

A Large BGE on the 2018 price sheet with the equivalent......nest, mates, ash tool, and a gripper is already $1200 BEFORE you add the Eggfringer (AKA eggspander) and/or plate setter.

If no one pays MSRP for a BGE and they're cheaper, no one pays MSRP for a KJ either.  Especially when the Classic 2's are at Costco for $900 and straight Classic 1's can be had on Amazon, Lowes.com, etc for under $700.

You can't really compare a $1600 MSRP'd Classic 3 to a LBGE because it's taller and has stuff that isn't available for a LBGE.  But by the time you add a $100 KAB with divider, the $100+ for the hyperbolic insert, a better stand/nest, metal shelves, you're gaining 4" and a third level of cooking for cheap.
    Yes well said. Because I’m from the north and currency is wacky the focus of my comparison isn’t purely focused on the dollars and cents. 

In my market and egg costs more for less when you add the comparable options. 

Knowing that I have both, people ask me for the differences all the time so thus this video was born lol 
  • ryantt
    Options
    @unoriginalusername it was a good video, Norah and I enjoy watching you videos.  

• pgprescott
    Options
    ryantt said:

I would never compare Costco pricing to anything. That said I’m pretty sure you can get all the goodies at MSRP for your egg and still be less than the new KJ. MSRP is the only real unbiased yardstick. You said yourself anyone can get some kinda deal, but measuring the value has to have a set standard and MSRP is that standard. Any other comparison attempt is an attempt to cloud the issue IMO. Not knocking the KJ, but it’s not accurate to suggest it’s less expensive any longer. Just saying. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Other way around.....PS leg to the front to keep the dome temp probe insulated from direct heat.
    I disagree... the back of the egg burns hotter than the front... leg in back helps diffuse some of that heat...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    Options
    I was told the leg should be directly opposite the air entry-point in the firebox. The air comes in and goes up the back right of the egg. That being said, I haven't used my platesetter since I bought the CGS R+B AR, which I use all the time.
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    Brother in law hit me with this question today. In the market, BGE or KJ? I have an XL BGE. After all I’m seeing that comes standard with the KJ and after reading the warranty info, they’re almost exactly the same money
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    ryantt said:

I would never compare Costco pricing to anything. That said I’m pretty sure you can get all the goodies at MSRP for your egg and still be less than the new KJ. MSRP is the only real unbiased yardstick. You said yourself anyone can get some kinda deal, but measuring the value has to have a set standard and MSRP is that standard. Any other comparison attempt is an attempt to cloud the issue IMO. Not knocking the KJ, but it’s not accurate to suggest it’s less expensive any longer. Just saying. 
    You have the price list, run it and see what you come up with.  I sell both and running off a 2018 BGE price list, the LBGEs MSRP was above the like KJCL2 before you even added a heat deflector or racking system.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    I disagree... the back of the egg burns hotter than the front... leg in back helps diffuse some of that heat...
    Maybe in the XL it does, but never seen that in a large.

Either way, BGEs assembly instructions, assembly video, and dealer training all show the notches at 2, 6, and 10 o'clock.  The big green gg stamp in the firebox and fire ring both are right side up and aligned 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Also have to keep in mind the KJ III has been reduced in price about 300 I believe (MSRP was really @ $1900 and $2400?) Why? I don’t know for sure. Also, believe it or not, not every customer wants every option. I still like the ala carte approach BGE takes. This allows the customer to pick and choose their package. As far as the kJ 1 and 2, I assume they are just dumping inventory. Maybe not, but I would think they would not be around much longer?
  • stlcharcoal
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Also have to keep in mind the KJ III has been reduced in price about 300 I believe (MSRP was really @ $1900 and $2400?) Why? I don’t know for sure. Also, believe it or not, not every customer wants every option. I still like the ala carte approach BGE takes. This allows the customer to pick and choose their package. As far as the kJ 1 and 2, I assume they are just dumping inventory. Maybe not, but I would think they would not be around much longer?
    All three version are available.....they are not getting rid of any of them.  The 3 is not replacing the 2.

The 3 is only available to stand alone dealers though.....can still get the 1 or 2, but I just sell the 3.  Costco just has the 2, and lowes/hd only have the 1.

And you can always get the stand alone if you dont want the nest or shelves.

The price on the 3 was not reduced that I know of.....its about 400 more than the 2.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    All three version are available.....they are not getting rid of any of them.  The 3 is not replacing the 2.

The 3 is only available to stand alone dealers though.....can still get the 1 or 2, but I just sell the 3.  Costco just has the 2, and lowes/hd only have the 1.

Ah. I see. Very well then. Hmm. Odd. 
  • stlcharcoal
    Options

Not odd.....just different than what you're used to with BGE's price model.  Just like my truck, theres a xlt basic package, limited upgrade, or a platinum everything.  Then there are some add-ons on any of those. 

For an educated buyer, yes the alacarte model is better, but that's not most people.  As a dealer, it's a hell of a lot easier to sell when all people need to decide is between two sizes, and nest or table.  Then everything is included.....no losing people when they go home to overthink it or freak out over all the choices.
  • pgprescott
    Options

Not odd.....just different than what you're used to with BGE's price model.  Just like my truck, theres a xlt basic package, limited upgrade, or a platinum everything.  Then there are some add-ons on any of those. 

For an educated buyer, yes the alacarte model is better, but that's not most people.  As a dealer, it's a hell of a lot easier to sell when all people need to decide is between two sizes, and nest or table.  Then everything is included.....no losing people when they go home to overthink it or freak out over all the choices.
    To each their own. I do see your point about simplicity. Another gas grill company got a bit too complex recently and it has been a disaster for them imo. I would HATE the big box involvement. Also the pricing fluctuations are not ideal. Not sure how that would work? Anyway, best wishes to you Jonathan! See you around this year maybe. Not sure if we are going to NOLA this year. You? 
  • stlcharcoal
    Options

To each their own. I do see your point about simplicity. Another gas grill company got a bit too complex recently and it has been a disaster for them imo. I would HATE the big box involvement. Also the pricing fluctuations are not ideal. Not sure how that would work? Anyway, best wishes to you Jonathan! See you around this year maybe. Not sure if we are going to NOLA this year. You? 
    It's not a big deal because I only sell the 3's, but you have to explain to people that there's a reason it's not $600-700......different unit.  I keep a couple 2's around, so I can match Costco if somebody wants one.

But not having to put the thing together or deal with a distributor in the middle makes it easy.  Free shipping direct to me and not having to screw with warranty claims is nice too.  All that makes up for the big box stuff.

Not sure on HPB, same weekend as Ace.  Definitely not exhibiting, maybe just go down and help KAB Chad or FB Michael on the first day if I'm not going to Ace.