Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Joetisserie

Any thoughts on these? I’m doing a Prime Rib tomorrow and am considering getting one, but I’m not sure it’d be worth it. Is it really that much different from smoking/roasting it? 

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,331
    I use mine often. It's mostly a novelty/toy. I don't know that I've ever gained anything from spinning a protein vs spatchcock/regular egg techniques
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I’ve only used a rotisserie on high end gassers but quickly abandoned the technique as it is a PITA to clean up and the results are not worth the effort IMO. Others will surely disagree. To each their own. Maybe I will change my opinion in the future who knows. I have nothing against using it if you don’t mind the cleanup. It’ll prolly make the crust better???
  • I purchased one and personally like the flexibility. I’ve done chicken, turkey, prime and will be doing a beef tenderloin tomorrow. It allows you to cook a little faster and gives some larger cuts of meat a nice balanced flavor. I use some wood chunks to add the smoky ness 
  • Never heard of them.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • I’ve only used a rotisserie on high end gassers but quickly abandoned the technique as it is a PITA to clean up and the results are not worth the effort IMO. Others will surely disagree.

Just curious - what is hard to clean on them?  I have only had mine a few weeks, (used it twice so far), but didn't find it any harder to clean than a V rack for ribs, etc.
    Raleigh, NC
  • pgprescott
    rekameohs said:
    I’ve only used a rotisserie on high end gassers but quickly abandoned the technique as it is a PITA to clean up and the results are not worth the effort IMO. Others will surely disagree.

Just curious - what is hard to clean on them?  I have only had mine a few weeks, (used it twice so far), but didn't find it any harder to clean than a V rack for ribs, etc.
    I would agree with that statement for the most part. I would say the overall length of rotisserie components is a bit cumbersome in the sink. FWIW, I avoid using rib racks and the such like the plague as well.
  • pgprescott
    Keep in mind I've gone to using those laminated paper disposable cutting boards for many tasks to avoid cleaning up boards that don't easily fit or aren't compatible with the dishwasher.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Keep in mind I've gone to using those laminated paper disposable cutting boards for many tasks to avoid cleaning up boards that don't easily fit or aren't compatible with the dishwasher.
    Hmmm, paper cutting board...disposable...thanks, Pete, now I know what I’ll do with all our 2019 wall calendars!  :)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pgprescott
    RRP said:
    Hmmm, paper cutting board...disposable...thanks, Pete, now I know what I’ll do with all our 2019 wall calendars!  :)
    Check em out. A lot of comp people use them as dirty dishes are an even bigger PITA on the road. They are heavy duty coated paper products and NSF approved. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    RRP said:
    Check em out. A lot of comp people use them as dirty dishes are an even bigger PITA on the road. They are heavy duty coated paper products and NSF approved. 
    I will, though I lead such a sheltered life that I had never even heard of them. Now with that said where do you buy them?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Love the Joetisserie, have only really done chicken and pork. Pork loin is pretty amazing on it, one of my favorites. Did a small rib roast once and it was outstanding as well. Do need to experiment more with beef.

Wouldn’t be without it.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    be sure not to drop it by any means.  I just bought mine right after thanksgiving.  I drove from Ohio to Atlanta with the side purpose of buying the joetisserie from the factory store.  I wanted to see all the accessories as well.  I did not have the motor attached or any other accessory.  It fell from about 30 inches onto a stamped concrete patio.  Sheered the motor mount right off.  Unbelievable.  I now know what will make a grown man cry.  DO NOT DROP YOURS BY ANY MEANS.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers
    Side note.  The two things I cooked were outstanding.  Loved the accessory. 
    Columbus, Ohio
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,331
    jdMyers said:
    be sure not to drop it by any means.  I just bought mine right after thanksgiving.  I drove from Ohio to Atlanta with the side purpose of buying the joetisserie from the factory store.  I wanted to see all the accessories as well.  I did not have the motor attached or any other accessory.  It fell from about 30 inches onto a stamped concrete patio.  Sheered the motor mount right off.  Unbelievable.  I now know what will make a grown man cry.  DO NOT DROP YOURS BY ANY MEANS.
    Nothing a couple right angle straps, JB Weld and bolts can't fix. Or practice your brazing skills 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    jdMyers said:
    @jdMyers, I would suggest contacting the Kamado Joe folks. Maybe they'll make it good for you.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    jdMyers said:
    One of my dabs broke off.  Tried JB Weld, worked for one cook.  Went to a local welder, works great!!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Thanks, guys. I’m going to skip the purchase for this cook. I just bought the adjustable rig with oval stone, so I’m going to use that tomorrow. I’m definitely going to consider it for the future though. 
  • jdMyers
    i am going to try some different things.  I sent it in to kamado joe considering it was new.  We will see how they say.  thanks for the weld tip
    Columbus, Ohio
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The main advantages with rotisserie are:

1. even cooking
    2. self basting

yeah, they suck to clean and leave a big hole in the middle of the food.
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    I will, though I lead such a sheltered life that I had never even heard of them. Now with that said where do you buy them?
    http://www.cutandtoss.com/  Here ya go. 
    L and MM BGEs with JJGeorge tables, Mini BGE with carrier, other charcoal and pellet smokers/grills too numerous to count.
  • Final product:

250 until an internal temp of 120 then rested for 30 minutes. It was delicious.