Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filets for Fifteen Question

Options
byrne092
byrne092 Posts: 746
Looking for insight from anyone who’s cooked steaks for a crowd. I think the most I’ve done in the past is 8, and I was able to use my normal reverse sear method.
This time I am tasked to cook 15 filets for NYE. I was thinking searing them all on the egg and then finishing them to temp in the oven. I guess I could let the egg cool down and finish them on there but that might take a while. 
With that said - oven or egg, what temp should I use to finish the cook? 250, 350, 450?

XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO

Comments

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    I like the idea of a hard initial sear, then a slower finish in a 250 oven - allows better control and gets you back in the house quicker.  My $.02.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    edited December 2019
    Options
    ^^^^^ cook it whole then slice it up, I like to do my Venison and Elk that way

XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • byrne092
    Options
    I thought about that but the wife really wants individual steaks. 

St. Louis, MO
  • TrippleRipple
    Options
    byrne092 said:
    Just what I would do- sous vide the whole thing to 125 and hold. Before service cut the steaks and sear at @600 on the egg to desired doneness per guest. 
    Formerly @dharley prior to some password bs.

LBGE, 36" Blackstone, bad liver & a broken heart

Three Rivers, MI
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    byrne092 said:
    Tell her to cook em then! Naw, I kid.

Definitely do a large roast and then cut into individual steaks table side. I'd go for a whole beef tenderloin per eight guests. So for your party, do two of them. Check APL recipe. Go forward sear 500 for 2-3 minutes per side then cook at 250-300 until internal temp of 125.
    Mountain View, CA
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I'm with the whole tenderloin crowd. Ask for a Chateau Cut. 

It's a beautiful thing!

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • byrne092
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. I will update on the final decision and execution. 

St. Louis, MO
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Happy wife....happy life.  I would cut them all into steaks, then wrap with bacon and tie w/butcher string.  Season and sear both sides on a screaming hot egg, then put them all in a 400 degree oven to bring to desired temp.  They will still gain 5 degrees when resting after you pull from oven.
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    byrne092 said:
    Thanks for the input everyone. I will update on the final decision and execution. 
    How thick would your steaks be, if going that way?  I’m doing tenderloin steaks tonight - might do a test run for you.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • JohnEggGio
    edited December 2019
    Options
    byrne092 said:
    How thick would your steaks be, if going that way?  I’m doing tenderloin steaks tonight - might do a test run for you.
    Change of plan - it’s nonstop rain here.  These filets will be cooked in a cast iron skillet.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • blairz212
    Options
    I’ve cooked approximately 25 filets at once on my large last Christmas. I went reverse sear method. Stabilized the egg at 250-300. Filled up the woo with the extender and let them roast until 125ish IT. Pulled them all off patted them dry and then seared them all on my cast iron grates that were sitting just above the coals the whole time.

my father in law still refers to it as the best steak he’s ever had lol

u have tons of options so go with what ur most comfortable with.

Macomb, MI - LBGE, WSM, blackstone and a Weber gasser

• byrne092
    Options
    Well I went the full tenderloin route. Butcher prepped me 2 for a total of 7.25lbs. He showed me some of the ones that came in and they looked great. Place carries SRF and RR. This was something like RR superior? Regardless, they were nicely marbled for tenderloin. This made the decision easy for a reverse sear.  

St. Louis, MO
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Sous Vide is your friend in this situation 
    Took the words out of my mouth. 
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    I cooked these for Christmas.  I didn’t get a money pic.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I cooked these for Christmas.  I didn’t get a money pic.
    Fantastic quality.
  • byrne092
    Options
    @Gamecockeggman very niiice...

Any input on how long the tenderloins will take to reach 115 at 250ish?

St. Louis, MO
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    A few factors to consider.  The thickness of your steaks, did you take them out and allow them to get to room temp before putting them on the grill...  I would say about 15 minutes at room temp
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • byrne092
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I'm doing full tenderloins - 3.5lb each - ill let them sit out for about an hour before the grill. I am thinking an hour at 250, but that is just a guess.

St. Louis, MO