Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie to Pork Butt on BGE - How Long...really!?

Options
I've had a 7 pound bone in pork butt going for just over 12 hours.  Temp seems to have plateaued at 185.  Want it to get to 195 +/- before I pull it off.   BGE has been consistently between 220-240 over this period.  I'm using indirect heat.   Pork stalled earlier this afternoon around 165 and then climbed to current temp over about the next 5 hours.   Am I too impatient?

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    You're only impatient if you don't see it through to the finish, which is based on it probing like butter. Internal temperature is only a guide. You've waited this long, don't spoil it by pulling before it's time. You can cut the time down by running smoking at 250-275 degrees and won't be able to tell the difference between one done at 225-240.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    Is your thermometer calibrated? Bump up your temp to 300 and let it ride. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Blindsquirrel
    Options
    Hit 195 about 15 minutes ago, roughly 13 hours from the start.   Patience is a virtue I need to work on!   Now I just need to let it rest before I pull it.  Really looking forward to trying it tomorrow at a family brunch.   Thanks for the words of encouragement....
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    240 F will take a long time, the stall seems to last for ever. 275 F is better and if you're impatient just bump to 300F after it's been in the stall for a while to speed up the finish.

Did you stop at 195 F IT because it was probing like butter or just on temp? Usually into the low 200s for me before it gets truely soft.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    When the bone pulls clean you are there independent of temp.  Usually happens in the low 200's*F for me.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    Hit 195 about 15 minutes ago, roughly 13 hours from the start.   Patience is a virtue I need to work on!   Now I just need to let it rest before I pull it.  Really looking forward to trying it tomorrow at a family brunch.   Thanks for the words of encouragement....
    How do you plan to reheat it?

As other folks have mentioned, higher temps work really well.  I did a ~5lb'er the other day and I do it uncovered at 350.  Consistently awesome!
    NC - LBGE