Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Ham

Options
Eskew38
Eskew38 Posts: 2
edited December 2019 in Pork
Hey y’all!
My grandmother, Mama Cooper, used to grill a ham on a weber kettle and the fat and skin would be almost burnt but tasted like pork rinds. I have not figured out how to do this, please help!
It always turned out wonderful, juicy and tender!  As far as I know she was using a precooked ham.
Some mistakes were to much fun to only make once!

Comments

• Eskew38
    Options
    Bumping up, come on folks I know some of you know how she did this, how can I do it on the egg?
    Some mistakes were to much fun to only make once!
  • wolfetone
    Options
    Hey, 
    This is how we do it in Ireland and many parts of Europe, and it turns out fantastic. It’s one thing I don’t do on the egg or haven’t yet.

heres the scoop!
    Pork leg, deboned, and tied in a roll with twine by the butcher, keep the thick skin/fat on, the butcher here says it’s called a picnic ham deboned 

I got a 9 lb tonight but anything 6+ is fine 

place overnight in cold water

remove next day, dump water, and put in a large pot skin down, pour in a can of draught Guinness, just fill to cover with about an inch of water. Slowly bring to simmer, DO NOT BOIL

Add to the water now, 
    1 large onion cut I. Half
    6 peppercorns
    2 carrots 
    2 bay leaves
    2 table spoons brown sugar
    1 wine glass of cider vinegar

Bring back to simmer, and cover at simmering for 20 mins per lb of meat, keeping meat topped up with boiling water 

when time up turn off heat and leave in pot for 15 mins

remove the rind only to expose the jelly like fat, cross cross the cuts with a sharp knife on the fat and place whole cloves into the fat

Pour your glaze of choice over the ham now (contact me if you are doing this, I typically get whiskey, honey, and English mustard and mix it up into a gel and pour over)

Place in preheated oven and bake for 15-20 mins at 400F, reglazing with the drippings off the meat every 5 mins. Be careful in the oven step, all ovens are different and just keep your eyes on it

let it rest for 15-30 mins 

works amazing for the last 40+ years!

Tiocfaidh!
    Support 26+6=1 United Ireland
  • wolfetone
    Options

Tiocfaidh!
  • wolfetone
    Options

Tiocfaidh!