Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wagyu Ribeye Cap Lifter

Options
Full-blooded Wagyu Ribeye cap lifter was seasoned with yellow miso, Hawaiian black lava salt, phu quoc black pepper, porcini mushroom, garlic and onion powders, rested overnight, then cooked indirect for 5.5 hours using oak and cherry wood chunks and Rockwood charcoal.  It was served with buttery herb mashed potatoes and oxtail gravy.

This was some good stuff.  A Wagyu brisket-like texture with a ribeye richness.  It was very unique, unlike any cut of beef I've eaten before.

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
Egging in the Atlanta GA region
Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    My God that looks good.  Where are you finding these cuts?  Ordering online or do you have a local butcher?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    My God that looks good.  Where are you finding these cuts?  Ordering online or do you have a local butcher?
    I ordered it online from Double 8 Cattle.  They dry age their Wagyu for 28 days. It's also know as blade or cap and wedge meat.  Here's a good pic for reference:

Arteflame grill grate

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    smokingal said:
    I ordered it online from Double 8 Cattle.  They dry age their Wagyu for 28 days. It's also know as blade or cap and wedge meat.  Here's a good pic for reference:

Thanks!  I was able to make out the name of the company in the label there in your OP, and check them out online.  Looks like they are sold out of a lot of the best stuff, which is maybe not a surprise given the proximity of the holidays.  

Awesome cook as always by the way.  You are setting a very high bar for the rest of us.  I do have something very different brewing for this weekend that I think will be of interest though.  Look forward to sharing!  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    @smokingal - you’ve earned another “WOW!”  That looks mighty fine!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,098
    Options
    Awesome Cut and Cook!  I know that tasted unbelievable!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    Never heard of a cap lifter before. Your posts are always educational to say the least. Excellent once again. 👍🏼
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Incredible.  Are you cooking just for your family with these amazing meals? Or a Michelin star restaurant? ;)   Simply amazing. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Great post and fantastic looking plate.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    WOW!  another incredible cook!
    had to google a few things   =)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    I have decided in the late hours of a LEO trip to post the following:
    JFC - and Go- Da-n.   I may have more downstream but for now I am just salivating.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blairz212
    Options
    Wow that looks great! Especially that gravy in the last pic...would totally do a shot and chase it with the beef lol

Could that cut of meat also be cook hot and fast to med rare like a steak? That marbling is awesome

Macomb, MI - LBGE, WSM, blackstone and a Weber gasser

• smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    blairz212 said:

Could that cut of meat also be cook hot and fast to med rare like a steak? That marbling is awesome
    It is a tough cut and if cooked whole, should not be cooked hot and fast.  If you were to make med rare center cut steaks, using sous vide first would work best.  I tried a 2 day marinade in shio koji followed by 8 hours of sous vide at 133F and a caveman sear on the smaller, hangar steak shaped piece.  It was epically delicious, yet still pretty chewy.  I guess it depends on how important tenderness is to you.
    Arteflame grill grate

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Wow that looks amazing!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    Thanks for sharing another incredible cook!
    NC - LBGE
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Wow, great cook!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va