Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome issue with XL BGE

Options

I have had an ongoing problem with my XL BGE since I bought it. I have to keep replacing the thermometer. It will get loose and just turn at the slightest touch. The clip that holds it in place gets weak and fails every 6-8 months. I thought this was just “the way it is” until I bought my second BGE and after two years, the thermometer is still tight and does not move.  I have talked to several of my friends that are BGE owners, none of them have this issue. (but none of them have an XL…)

So I started investigating and believe I have figured out what is wrong…

The hole the thermometer mounts through on my XL is drilled at the wrong angle. It should be perpendicular to the dome, but it isn’t. It is approximately 21° off of perpendicular. This is putting the heel of the clip at a weird angle inside the dome, causing it to fatigue when heated and fail, which then allows the thermometer to get loose and flop around. I see no way to fix this issue.  Looking at my second Egg, the hole is drilled perfectly perpendicular.

I contacted BGE and sent them the photos. They agreed that this was wrong and sent a replacement dome and thermometer to my local dealer. It arrived and I took it out of the box today and it is nearly identical to the one I already have. See the photo below-the thermometer hole in the new dome is not perpendicular to the face of the dome.

I called the dealer and they looked at their floor models. All of them, including their 2XL have thermometers that slide into the dome perfectly perpendicular, EXCEPT their XL. 

I really wouldn't care if the thermometer sits perfectly in the hole if it would just stay in there tight. It will NOT stay tight. I bought a Smokeware thermometer, hoping for a better, or stronger clip. Same thing. Tight for a short while, then loosens right up.

My local dealer is reaching out to BGE next week to get their input.

Has anyone else seen this on their XL? Any idea as to how to get the thermometer to stay tight?

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The angle is insignificant to your problem. Not sure what you have going on, but suspect it is an issue with how the spring clip is installed. Best guess is you have it backwards or some manner in which too much stress is on it at all times. IDK??? It should take decades for the clip to fail. 
  • ArringtonEgg
    Options
    I agree, it should take decades. The clip is installed correctly-flat side toward the dome.
    The BGE rep I spoke with at a recent Eggfest believed the angle to be the problem-he suggested I warranty it for that reason alone. And it makes sense that if spring steel is continuously heated and cooled while in stress that it could damage it. Otherwise, why would this one continue to fail? My other Egg, with the clip installed the same way, has not failed after two years. My friend's clips do not fail. Only this one, and the only difference is the angle.
  • Phaqallyall
    Options
    Tap your own hole at the right angle maybe?
    sound it out yaidjit
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I threw that clip away on my XL a long time ago.  Makes it easier to pull thermometer to clean the crud off the shaft every few weeks.  
    I still use the 2” thermo, which has a groove built into the stem.  That clip should engage into the groove, which keeps some tension on the thermometer and not let it move.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Wonder if your Smokeware thermometers have the machined groove to engage the the BGE stainless clip?  That might be your problem!!!
  • pgprescott
    Options
    The spring clip is just that, a spring which provides opposing tension at two points of contact with the shaft of the thermometer thus holding it in place when slipped up snugly to the surface of the ceramics. Groove won’t really matter IMO. 
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Take your Smokeware thermometer and chuck up in your drill.  Spin it against a file and cut a groove in shaft  where clip would index on and put some tension on clip. Problem solved!!!
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I took all the clips off on my eggs. Allows all my therms to spin freely like I like them. I put the black smokewares in them recently. I put the clip on the outside of the minis to leave room on the inside, maybe something you could try:

• ArringtonEgg
    ArringtonEgg Posts: 8
    edited November 2019
    Options
    @Phaqallyall - I am considering that!
    @littlerascal56 - I tired a SmokeWare thermometer once, but went back to BGE.
    @here - So nobody else that has an XL and wants to use the clip to hold the thermometer tight has seen this issue? (I don't really want my thermometer to spin freely… I prefer it to work as designed)
  • ArringtonEgg
    Options
    My dealer contacted BGE in Atlanta. I got a call from someone there this week. It seems all of their inventory of XLs suffer from the same issue. But ONLY the XLs. All the others are correct. They are going to reach out to the factory in Mexico and try to determine a course of action to fix the issue. Looks like a production issue that is being addressed!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Put some teflon tape on the shaft
    Options
    @Phaqallyall- I am considering that!
    @littlerascal56 - I tired a SmokeWare thermometer once, but went back to BGE.
    @here - So nobody else that has an XL and wants to use the clip to hold the thermometer tight has seen this issue? (I don't really want my thermometer to spin freely… I prefer it to work as designed)
    I know you don't want to hear this but I've put together dozens and dozens of them and know exactly what you are talking about. I am perfectly able to install the clip that hold the thermo in place and have never had a single failure issue.

Maybe some pictures of the business end of things would help us diagnose the issue. I know the angle is not perpendicular, but you should still be able to contact the ceramics while engaging the opposing tension spring clip.  
  • ArringtonEgg
    Options
    It does contact the ceramic. When installed, it is very tight and will not move.  That is
    not the issue. If you go back and check with all of those dozens of XL installs a year later, is the thermometer still tight?
    I didn’t know it was a problem until I had another egg to compare it to. I thought that’s just the way it was…
    Maybe everybody just removes the clip and throws it away. Ha ha.
    The spring tension on the clips fail from repeated heated and cooling under tension at the wrong angle.
    I recently put a small washer around the shaft for the flat part of the clip to rest against once I tensioned it. So far, so good
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    A lot of us throw the clip away, the reason has already been stated....
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • pgprescott
    Options
    It does contact the ceramic. When installed, it is very tight and will not move.  That is
    not the issue. If you go back and check with all of those dozens of XL installs a year later, is the thermometer still tight?
    I didn’t know it was a problem until I had another egg to compare it to. I thought that’s just the way it was…
    Maybe everybody just removes the clip and throws it away. Ha ha.
    The spring tension on the clips fail from repeated heated and cooling under tension at the wrong angle.
    I recently put a small washer around the shaft for the flat part of the clip to rest against once I tensioned it. So far, so good
    Ok. If you say so. 

Maybe turn the clip 90 degrees. I’m sure you tried that though. 

I have a couple like this I use regularly. I also have and use other sizes. The angle is definitely just as you describe but I don’t have an issue with the clip. 

Good luck. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    It looks like the hole is too large. If it were simply drilled at the wrong angle you would not be able to swing it up the the correct angle. Cool pics btw.
     I will try to think of a way for you to secure it, red RTV would be a quick solution if you don’t worry about removing it regularly 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    You could put a piece of scotch tape around the probe sticky side out. Fill the hole with red RTV and put you probe in place. When it dries you would have a proper hole diameter without gluing the probe. Or high temp JB Weld
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,086
    Options
    I'm in the non-clip user group, for the reasons already cited, plus I found the clip difficult to remove if left on for many cooks.
    Alaskan seems to have some good solutions for you.  Another option is to buy spare clips, when yours loses its tension just replace it.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Had some issues of probe hitting meat when doing “Double deck” cooks.  Fix was to drill hole thru a wine bottle cork, slide up stem, then stick thru dome.  Worked perfectly.  You could also use red silicone on cork to secure it, and thermometer would stay in position, assuming probe was snug thru cork!
  • ArringtonEgg
    Options
    @alaskanassasin The shaft of the thermometer fits snugly. I had to hold the thermometer up and out of the hole (except the tip) to illustrate the correct angle.

@here I appreciate the tips, but my interest is to correct the underlying issue, as opposed to a workaround.

I have now received two calls from BGE–one from the team in Atlanta and one from a regional rep. They both agree with my assessment and are working toward fixing the issue at the source–the factory where the hole is drilled.

The small washer under the clip test is working so far. When I discussed this with the BGE rep this weekend, he agreed that this would take the awkward tension off the clip and would be a valid test.

It looks like I have a path to resolution.

Thanks everyone!
  • speed51133
    Options
    I skipped all the comments, except the original. Why cares what the angle is? It doesn't matter. So what if the thermometer rotates? It is free-floating in there. Are you expecting like a solid, screw-in type of engagement? There is nothing to fail. That clip is just a curved piece of metal. You don't even need it.

This is a non issue, ignore it and worry about something else like the inconsistent joint spacing in your brick work. 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • ArringtonEgg
    Options
    @speed51133
    Thank you for your response, but if you skip all the information and your only contribution is to try to convince me there is no issue when BGE admits there is, why did you even bother to respond? 
  • speed51133
    Options
    Because there is no issue, mostly. BGE is providing good customer service, good for them. I just figured you to be the kind that would also complain to the builder that your bricks are not evenly spaced, since I can see from your photos there is some inconsistency.  ;)
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Just curious, are there any others who are XL users that have experienced chronic and catastrophic failure of the spring clip? This is the first time I've heard of this issue.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    That clip is garbage and most of us have thrown it away. The clip will cause your thermo to get out of calibration if the thermo gets twisted. Also, by allowing it to spin freely, you can set your target temp at the 12 o’clock position and easily tell if the temp is high of low (for those of whose eyesight isn't what it used to be).  

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• ArringtonEgg
    Options
    <leaving thread> BGE is addressing. Thanks for the helpful comments!
  • Thomasc18
    Options
    I would be upset as well. For what you pay I’d expect it to be right. I have a Med and XL.  I purchased my XL back in Jan of 2018. Not sure if mine has the same problem or not. Haven’t checked. Thanks for the update. Not all of us are douche bags. Happy eggin!
    Madison, AL
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Thomasc18 said:
    I would be upset as well. For what you pay I’d expect it to be right. I have a Med and XL.  I purchased my XL back in Jan of 2018. Not sure if mine has the same problem or not. Haven’t checked. Thanks for the update. Not all of us are douche bags. Happy eggin!
    Go check. You’re 2 years in. I would think you would know. I bet you do know. Can’t believe you haven’t reported it yet. Happy Eggin!