Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Items to purchase in Hawaii??

Options
Just curious if there are any items I should purchase and take home with me from the Islands? Marinades, sauces etc? Any thing good?

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    The Costco in Honolulu stocks a good selection of booze, including great scotch at killer prices. 
  • FlyOverCountry
    Options
    Maybe a forum picture?
  • Jonnysouth
    Options

One of the locals suggested I take some of this home with me?? Anyone else using it?
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Salts
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Jonnysouth
    Options
    Salts
    What about sugars? Is that something I recall as well being unique from around here?
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Salts
    Funny story about bringing home salt. My b-I-l, a man who is generally quite intelligent and level-headed, saw cheap, individually packaged packets of salt for sale by the side of the road outside of Bangkok. A deal he could not pass up, he picked up a large bag of the small, one serving packets. When it was finally time to return home, customs had a field day with him, holding him up several hours until they were sure he was transporting salt only. It’s worth noting that salt is not all that expensive at home. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I brought home a Koa wood rice paddle about 25 years ago and love it. Makes some beautiful bowls also. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,508
    Options
    Get into the spirit and the drive to visit again.  
    For the record from a few years ago:  The all-time record high temp in Honolulu is 95*F; the all-time record low 56*F.  I can live with that-just need to win the lottery to make it happen on a permanent basis.    
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,368
    Options
    Maui wowie 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    It has been 20 years for me but Kauai Coffee was good. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• FlyOverCountry
    FlyOverCountry Posts: 665
    edited December 2019
    Options
    When we were over there the wife picked up one a them tiki idols.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Buy a house or condo. 😜
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    I live on Oahu. Which island are you visiting?
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,733
    Options
    we visited in May many years ago. The fruit from the roadside markets was way better than anything here. But you’ll have to enjoy  it there.  Can’t bring it back. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Loco Moco

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    30 years ago we brought back a case of Pineapples, went to the packing house and paid for it, then it magically appeared at the airport in West Palm Beach FL upon our return. Best we have ever had. 

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jonnysouth
    Options
    g37 said:
    I live on Oahu. Which island are you visiting?
    Started off on Oahu, then Big Island and now on Kauai. I had work on the first 2 Islands and this is my first time on Kauai. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,793
    Options
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    We brought back a bunch of stuff, most of which we found out is sold stateside anyway.  Trinkets, salts, chocolate covered macadamias, etc.  The coffee there was outstanding, but it’s available here as well. 

It’s the experience I appreciated.  Taco trucks on the side of the road, loco moco, eating a fresh coconut (despite not actually liking it), kahlua pork...all under a bright blue sky, with the gentle breezes. It was nothing I could bring home.  

Breathe it all in!  Hawaii is magic

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    Funny thing I’ve lived on Oahu most of my life but I’ve only visited one island which is Kaui.  Everyone here on the forum nailed what u should be doing and eating. I can’t really think of anything at this moment that really stands out as a must buy or do. Sorry. Enjoy the lovely weather but the evenings are getting colder now that it’s December.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Jonnysouth
    Options
    Southwest has flights from Honolulu to the other Islands for $39 - $59 one way. Of course, one could always swim to save a little cash here and there. Definitely a Beautiful chain of Islands and people!! We’ll be back one day!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options

when you get back order some smoking wood, guava, from guava wood farms. stuff is really good for a lighter smoking wood flavor
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jonnysouth
    Options
    Just in case some of you are stuck in a white cold winter land. This is at the Black Sand Beach on the Big Island.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Just in case some of you are stuck in a white cold winter land. This is at the Black Sand Beach on the Big Island.
    I mean this in the nicest of ways.....
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    You could always bring home a ukulele. Beware that many low-to-mid prices ukes in Hawaii are made in China (and marked as such). The real deals are pricey as hell and are usually koa wood, which is very sensitive to temp and humidity changes and is therefore prone to cracking during transportation. I was tempted to buy a high end uke in Honolulu when I was there last November, but ultimately thought that it was too expensive relative to the little use it would get at home (not to mention likely yo crack on the journey back to the cold of Canada!).
  • Jonnysouth
    Options
    I mean this in the nicest of ways.....
    LOL!! I can feel the love!! 😂 No offense taken!!
  • GeezerSteve
    Options
    I second the Koa wood. It's not available on the mainland. Some of the boxes, bowls and other designs made with it are stunning. There's a koa wood shop on Kauai that sells (and ships, I think) both finished products and pieces of wood to carve or make something out of.
    I'd only ever been to Oahu (Honolulu) for work, but when we went to Kauai and stayed up in the Princeville area, we both fell in love. We own a timeshare there that we'll be going back to in 2020. If we could get the grandkids to move, we'd be there permanently! Lovely island and very nice, laid-back people.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,270
    Options
    If you want Koa I've got the connection. I bought some for a knife handle and another block as a gift for a friend who makes fountain pens.
    Mountain View, CA