Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picked up a 15 lb Prime Whole brisket at Costco for $3.49 lb

Options
Choice was $6.49 How can I cut it in half to only cook half on large green egg?

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Can you cook whole and vacuum seal any leftovers?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Cook the whole thing

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Just roll and tuck the front end of the flat under itself. It’ll shrink and fit as it cooks. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    If you cut that brisket in half we will never talk to you again...

But cutting off a few inches to grind into burgers is OK.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    Wrap a brick in foil and drape the briskey over it. It'll shrink...I've had 16lbers on my large before
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    If you’re thinking of cutting it to make it fit, drape it over a steel bowl or bricks as mentioned above. 

If you’re thinking of cutting because you won’t have enough folks to eat it, cut it longitudinally and freeze one half. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    The choice you probably saw at that price was a trimmed up flat only.  More labor to butcher the flat thus the increase in $$ /Lb. 
    15 lbs may yield only around 12-13 lbs post-trim.  As above, no issue with shoe-horning it in the LBGE to fit but if you can't justify the whole cook than go as mentioned by @caliking.  BTW the yield after a brisket cook is generally around 50-60% of the going in weight so give that some thought as you decide how to enjoy the most fun cook you can have on a BGE or any other Q rig.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mikeyice
    Options
    Will monitor this thread because I was coming to ask the same question. Was considering separating the flat from the point and cooking separately. I did do a15 lb choice brisket 2 weeks ago. Wanted to experiment with that one before I did the prime one. Turned out good. I used a Weber rib rack in the center of the brisket to make it fit. Just barely fit though. Am also going to consider removing a little of the ends and grounding them. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can cut it in half no problem.  The point is easily cooked, lots of intramuscular fat.  The flat does better attached, but you can wrap it after your bark forms and, since it's prime, it should be totally fine if you pull when tender.  Make sure you keep at least a quarter inch of any fat on it.
    Thanks very much for all the advice. I'll update after I decide and cook it!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    The V rack also makes a great draping device
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Bentgrass
    Options
    I’m with ColtsFan- I have done 17 pounders in my large and the brick wrapped in foil standard operation 
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited December 2019
    Options
    One more vote to cook it whole and have some leftovers.  Leftover brisket is great for sandwiches, chili, tacos, etc. I like to chop it all up and combine it so there is a mix of fatty (point) and lean (flat) in each bag.  Reheat in simmering water similar to pulled pork. I love finding these bags in the freezer. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.