Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Unveils New Kickbutt Basket

Options

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    im fine with the regular grate and the ability to get to 1200 degrees dome temp with it. not buying this or the kab.  sure wish i could get my firebox and ring replaced sometime soon
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bgedealer
    Options
    I hear great things about the KAB....I also hear a lot of people cracking their firebox components and/or base, more frequently, when using the KAB. 

I get the pro of easier clean up, higher temps, more effective temp controls & more efficient burns. I know the ceramics are warrantied, but I also don't want to be swapping out broken components all the time.

Maybe this factory option would give a guy a balance between the two?
    AKA @MattBTI

Cunningham, KS
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Is this offered as standard equipment on new eggs?
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I think I'll save my money and keep using the standard grate. I've had my bge's (lg and med) since 2006. I really don't find it difficult to clean out the ash from my bge.
    Shop vac - 30 seconds - done.
    There are many more accessories that I'd rather spend my money on then a ash basket.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    bgedealer said:
    I hear great things about the KAB....I also hear a lot of people cracking their firebox components and/or base, more frequently, when using the KAB. 

I get the pro of easier clean up, higher temps, more effective temp controls & more efficient burns. I know the ceramics are warrantied, but I also don't want to be swapping out broken components all the time.

It seems like fireboxes crack for no specific rhyme or reason. I'm not sure their anymore prone to cracking because of the KAB. My firebox cracked long before adding my KAB. I've read people going through 2-3 fireboxes in the first 5 years of egg ownership without a KAB. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited December 2019
    Options
    TigerTony said:
    I think I'll save my money and keep using the standard grate. I've had my bge's (lg and med) since 2006. I really don't find it difficult to clean out the ash from my bge.
    Shop vac - 30 seconds - done.
    There are many more accessories that I'd rather spend my money on then a ash basket.
    The only reason I have one in the medium is that the fire grate is so small that it would get knocked around when I was stirring lump. After the third time of having to fish out lump to put the grate back in place was enough for me. I leave the grate in with the KAB and it lasted almost five years.  I’ve got a new one sitting on the counter to replace it. 

I’d never buy one for the XL. 
  • speed51133
    Options
    I picked up my SS XL KAB for 60 bucks and am glad I did. Makes it so much easier and cleaner to vacuum out the fire box. I am not even concerned with the air flow.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Fire boxs, fire rings, and bases have been cracking for a LONG time before the KAB ever came out.  The correlation was great fake news to spread until they came out with their own basket.  Just like how the Smokeware cap obstructs airflow and throw off temps because the air has to exit the sides.......yeah I guess the sideways airflow from the plate setter or the single lower draft door is not an issue.  Oh, don't use our charcoal since it will void your warranty.  I've heard it all.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Wonder if it comes with the pirate hoop earrings?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    bgedealer said:

cracked ceramics usually come from defects and thermal stress or mechanical trauma.  The damn thing was fired in a kiln.
    Options
    bgedealer said:

Surely you don't believe this. If I was to come in your store and was told that the reason my components cracked was because of either of these units...you probably would not like me. 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    They do look pretty ballin.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
     nolaegghead said:
    bgedealer said:

cracked ceramics usually come from defects and thermal stress or mechanical trauma.  The damn thing was fired in a kiln.
    @2450* F.  So I’ve heard.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Can you boil water in an Egg?  Or will the steam hurt the ceramics?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    No, the water will dissolve the ceramic stuff.
    Legume said:
    Is this offered as standard equipment on new eggs?
    ^^^ lol. 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    You need to protect the ceramics with a bunch of half inch steaks 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    So many new EGGsessories, so little time. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• bgedealer
    Options
    piney said:
    bgedealer said:

Surely you don't believe this. If I was to come in your store and was told that the reason my components cracked was because of either of these units...you probably would not like me. 
    @piney I know the egg ceramics and components have been cracking long before KAB came into play, I just made an observation that many of the people I've spoke with that own KAB,(or read online posts/youtube videos) also experienced cracked fireboxes/bases. I don't have a KAB, I've not had any component of my egg crack in over 5 years of ownership. I understand that is a very limited perspective though. FYI I'm not a dealer. Used to work for one and this was an old account. Can't get my normal @MattBTI to come back online after the password reset. 
    AKA @MattBTI

Cunningham, KS
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    No, the water will dissolve the ceramic stuff.
    AMEN. ceramics are made of clay.  water dissolves clay. 

Wise man says "boil eggs in water, not water in eggs."
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    :pirate:  For $100, I’d expect at least clip ons. 
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited December 2019
    Options
    cannot tell if you guys seriously think water will dissolve your egg.....

water dissolves clay. ceramic is not the same as clay. especially clay fired as hot as the egg....
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

water dissolves clay. ceramic is not the same as clay. especially clay fired as hot as the egg....
    It's a bit of an inside joke.  There was a member here once who started a thread asking if you could boil water in an Egg.   
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    bgedealer said:
    piney said:
    bgedealer said:

@piney I know the egg ceramics and components have been cracking long before KAB came into play, I just made an observation that many of the people I've spoke with that own KAB,(or read online posts/youtube videos) also experienced cracked fireboxes/bases. I don't have a KAB, I've not had any component of my egg crack in over 5 years of ownership. I understand that is a very limited perspective though. FYI I'm not a dealer. Used to work for one and this was an old account. Can't get my normal @MattBTI to come back online after the password reset. 
    I have had eggs for a lot of years, have done several "clean burns", cooked a lot of pizza, did a bunch of reverse sear, all at very high temps, all with KAB and have NEVER broken ceramics. That being said, sooner or later the ceramics WILL fail that is just the nature of the beast. If something of this nature would be a liability for damaging the ceramics you can bet that BGE would not entertain the idea of designing one for the use in their cookers.
     I'm sorry I assumed you were a BGE dealer and I wish you luck getting your old account back.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options

water damage to my small

Image result for fishlessman freeze

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • speed51133
    Options
    I don't understand how water got your egg so blurry, unless that pic is an egg at the bottom of a lake.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I don't understand how water got your egg so blurry, unless that pic is an egg at the bottom of a lake.
    Good eye!  Fishlessman is actually Old Gregg.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I'm more impressed that he still uses Photobucket. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Legume said:
    Good eye!  Fishlessman is actually Old Gregg.
    Do you love me?