Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which plate setter?

Options
Just gave our son my spare LBGE.  It didn’t come with a plate setter.  
What are your opinions on cast iron vs original?
Concord, CA

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    original

X2

Original for sure
    NC - LBGE
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    What @Eggin_in_PA said, money well spent. My plate setter and Woo's live in the storage box, haven't used them since I bought CGS's R&B rig. Very versatile with a spider, and 13 and 15 inch round stones.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    Options
    Whatever you choose, avoid cast iron if you want to do indirect. Cast iron heats up and radiates heat, negating the purpose of a heat blocker for indirect. I also agree with the choice of a CGS R&B adjustable rig. I haven't used my PS since I bought the rig.
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    For about the same price you can get the CGS Woo with the stone and drip tray.  Much more versatile setup.  15% off right now.
    ^^^ this 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    jetman96 said:
    Whatever you choose, avoid cast iron if you want to do indirect. Cast iron heats up and radiates heat, negating the purpose of a heat blocker for indirect. 
    Thank you; I learned something today.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    Woo ring from CGS x10000... I actually got the platesetter with the medium BGE I had. Used it until I found out about the Woo ring setup. Bought that and the platesetter sat unused in the deck box ever since. It went with the person that bought my medium BGE since I had zero use for it.
    I ordered the Woo ring for the large BGE I bought as soon as the medium got off my deck. The Woo ring (plus other goodies from the CGS) arrived the next day (I had ordered earlier that week) so it was all on hand for when the large was delivered. 
    IMO/IME, the Woo ring is a LOT more versatile than the platesetter thing from BGE. Get it with either the full stone, or two halfs, and drip pan and you'll never regret it. I went with the full size stone since I use it for indirect heat cooking only. Not to say I won't get a half stone at some point in the future. It's just that's what I needed right away. 
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Woo ring with handles and a pizza stone.  More versatile, durable, and manageable all for the same price as the three leg PS.
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Woo ring with handles and a pizza stone.  More versatile, durable, and manageable all for the same price as the three leg PS.
    +1 My woo lives in my egg

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    spider and pizza stone works well for me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    I need to start utilizing my spider more often, I'm just not that imaginative....about cooking!
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • speed51133
    Options
    I like the factory ceramic thing, whatever it is called. I also bought a cast iron one to cook directly on, but have not yet used it.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Haven’t used the BGE plate setter since I purchased the CGS AR combo with extender setup. I have a spider for my wok and may get a round stone for that to use with my AR setup for another indirect option.

The CGS products are just so versatile and easy to use, 
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Like my original placesetter on XL but if breaks would get CGS Woo setup  as much more versitle
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston