Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scored a mini max !

So this weekend the wife and I were at a local Ace and browsing the egg section, I have been eyeing a mini-max for the past few years after I got my large.  They wanted 600 at Ace and I just couldn't pony up the dough for it so the wife suggest check around for a used one.  I found one about 3 hours from home, going to pick it up Saturday morning.  New in the box never used for 425.  I think its a decent deal he was asking 500 originally.  This guy won it at work and didn't want it, ( I don't know why) but anyway that's good for me!  I would be interested to know what you guys typically use your mini max for, I use my large every week and sometimes it seems senseless to light that for 2 steaks so my plan is use it as a secondary cooker as well as for quick small things like burgers etc.  

Comments

• builderdawg
    builderdawg Posts: 105
    Great score. You will love it. I use mine for burgers, steaks, chicken and have even done pizza and pork butts. I still use my large, but depending what I’m cooking, I can often cook for my family of four with the MM. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Nice pull, dude.  It's amazing on smaller cooks when you want to do just a little for a Saturday when you're out hangin by the pool or doing some yard work.  Also great for sides (veggies, etc).  Congrats!  You'll love it! Just don't tell Cen-Tex
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • garthb4903
    garthb4903 Posts: 115
    sweet! I'm trying to score a MM in Portland but am having trouble...
    L, M, MM "These pretzels are making me thirsty"
  • lightningQ
    lightningQ Posts: 38
    thetrim said:
    Nice pull, dude.  It's amazing on smaller cooks when you want to do just a little for a Saturday when you're out hangin by the pool or doing some yard work.  Also great for sides (veggies, etc).  Congrats!  You'll love it! Just don't tell Cen-Tex
    thanks bro, I ordered the woo ring and stone from CGS last night.  from everything I hear this is a great addition to the family.  my neighbors think I am nuts with the green egg cooking but I love and evidently they do too because they keep coming over LOL 
  • " because they keep coming over LOL "     =)=)  
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    I like my MM a lot......a lot......did I say a lot? =)
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Kitarkus
    Kitarkus Posts: 181
    I've owned a large for many many years and love it.  Over the years I had a medium for awhile and passed it on to a friend..never bonded.  I scored a MiniMax a couple years ago off Craigslist from a guy who had intended to use it for camping but found it too heavy.....he purchased 2 minis and sold me the minimax for $300 with an extra cast iron grate.  For the first year I didn't think much of the MM and stuck with my large mostly....but I have really learned to love the MM during this past year.  I probably cook on it 3 times to every one time that I use the large these days.  I have a family of 3 people.  I wouldn't get rid of the large...ever...but the MM is really a great little egg. The charcoal is really close to the grate vs. the Large which took some getting used to. I finally bought my Minimax a table and a cover making it much easier/simpler to use at the house.  I like the option to take an egg portable and MM gives me that option, however, it is a heavy sumbatch and requires 2 people for any real carrying distance (at least for me).  I think that the large and MM combo provides a lot lot lot of options and I'll never rid myself of either of these sizes.  I am not left wanting for more eggs at this point...completely satisfied.  I even offered to give my father in law a superb minty 2003 Weber Genesis Gold 3 burner (that I swore I'd never sell) since I never never ever use it.  Well...I said I'd never SELL it...and I am giving it away...so there!  :)  
  • garthb4903
    garthb4903 Posts: 115
    @Kitarkus I have a L and a M, and sold my mini (didn't bond with the mini), and I've been jonesing for a MM for all the reasons you discussed.  I can get new for $500, but am still on the fence as I'd add another $100-$200 in CGS add-ons (kick ash basket, raised grid, etc.).  I don't "need" a MM, I just "want" one!
    L, M, MM "These pretzels are making me thirsty"
  • womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    I was lucky to find a Kamado Joe Jr locally on Craigslist a few months back. $200. Looks like it had been used only a few times. Broke it in correctly doing a pastrami, then a butt. Used it once more for some marinated chicken a neighbor brought over.
    It's a great size for when I don't need the room of the LBGE.
  • mark_08
    mark_08 Posts: 39
    I picked up a mini max this past weekend. It had only been used twice. $350 is what i paid for it. 
    Medium Egg & Mini Max. Huntsville, TX
  • Flatfoot
    Flatfoot Posts: 96
    edited June 2019
    thanks bro, I ordered the woo ring and stone from CGS last night.  from everything I hear this is a great addition to the family.  my neighbors think I am nuts with the green egg cooking but I love and evidently they do too because they keep coming over LOL 
    Congratulations!  Smartest thing you could have done, next to scoring the MiniMax!  I just recently added a MM with Woo and stone to my LBGE and Mini and I love it. I'm sitting on the deck watching it smoke now (Spatchcock chicken).  I predict it will become your most-used Egg!
    LBGE, MM, & Mini. Weber Smokey Joe for a knockabout. 
    "Honestly, Honey!  Just one more Egg, and one more gun, and I'll be done!"
  • what type of base are using under the mm?  I have a similar table and wanted to place the mm like you did but didn't want to damage the paint.  Looks like some type of stone?  
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    Nice set up @lightningQ
    Fat fingers on a tablet.....did not mean to disagree.......Happy Thanksgiving brother!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Congrats on the score!  My wife has been prodding me to see if I'd be interested in a MM.  I love the idea but have a hard time thinking that I need 2 eggs lol.  As some of you have mentioned, the small cooks are a little over kill on the LBGE it seems.
    NC - LBGE
  • I'm beginning to wonder if I would save enough money, imagining the MM uses a lot less than my LBGE, to justify buying a MM. Hmmm....
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I use a wok on the MM a lot. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • My local Ace has a mini man for 450. Nib. I thought I expensive. 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    For an Central FL folks, Wassi's in Melbourne sells the MM for $399
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Anyone know a dealer around St. Louis that sells a MM for less that $599?