Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stanky lamb chest

So... caliqueen was away for a while a couple of months ago. As part of my bachelor binge i bought some lamb chest. Then forgot about it. Until now. 

I love this cut. Figured it was wet aging all this time. Cut open the cryovac today, and.... holy jeebus. The stank. Smelled like that sulphurous funk that cryovac pork ribs can occasionally have. 

No worries. I’ve heard of that. Let it air out for a bit and it’ll be good. An hour later later... the kitchen still stank. Did I mention that caliqueen is away again? Fired up the egg. Threw a stick of pecan in for good measure. 

Back inside to take care of the stanky meat. Usually season it with cumin, cayenne (gochugaru, because I love the stuff), and salt. 

Threw it on with the egg going at about 300F. About 1.5hrs in, I could still smell the stank. Better about 2.5hrs in. Pulled after about 4 hrs. 

Wrapped for a bit. Then cut a couple of bones off. 

And... it was pretty good :) . A bit more gamey than I recall. But good. I think. 

I’ll give any possible pathogens 2-8 hrs to do their thing. If y’all don’t hear from me on the morrow, please let caliqueen know that I loved her, and that I finally took care of that meat in the bottom drawer.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Love it. You are a lot braver than I. 
    South Buffalo, New York
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Lol, looks delicious. Good luck though.  ;)
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Ashish,

There are a few times in life when you must remember, you are more valuable to your Beautiful Wife, alive and healthy. For the life of me, for My Beautiful Wife, I really can't think of one where that applies to me, but that is not the point.

There are times, when we are left alone, we need to use better judgement. It is hard to do, and I know it, but I try. I fail miserably often, but I try.

This is one of those events my friend. A small slit in the cryovac will provide all the indication you will need whether or not it should be disposed.

I worry for you my friend, not of your survival after eating that cut of lamb, but when Sruti gets home and the house may still have that aroma.

Good luck with both.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Great post. LOL =)
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,203
    Personal policy: Never eat sheep whether young or old. Leave them for the wolves and lions. The gamey smell and taste turns my stomach. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Good post.  Hope you're ok.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • Personally, just the affixing of the “stanky” label to the protein would be enough to turn me off of enjoying it. I tossed a whole packer several months back in similar circumstances. For me, whether or not it has actually gone bad, this very questioning is enough to fully dull my enjoyment of the protein. When in doubt, I throw it out!
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    You crack me up Ashish. I admire your courage - or is it I question your judgement? Either way, I hope we hear back from you. I have to tell you it didn’t help that I looked at the 100 day dry aged brisket thread before reading this one. Kinda proves the ‘ol bell curve is real - there are always outliers....

Just kidding my friend. Thanks for sharing your cook with us. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    You still with us Ashish?

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Knock Knock... you still there brother?? Still looks good
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

this reminds me of college, when friends checked on each other after a big night out
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Ashish are you still living? When are Sruti and Prince returning? Hang on my friend ...see y'all in the spring. Please tell Prince I said hello.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    blind99 said:

this reminds me of college, when friends checked on each other after a big night out
    it seems my best friends are here, which is why I posted. I figured someone would call the appropriate authorities if I didn't resurface by noon =)

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    caliking said:
    blind99 said:

it seems my best friends are here, which is why I posted. I figured someone would call the appropriate authorities if I didn't resurface by noon =)

• amazes me how many people chunk good food Over a little odor.  Glad you made it. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Glad you survived funkfest 2019!   Now get to work on that table cause time is runnin out. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Thank you for this post. I did not realize that stank was common, I remember opening a package of ribs that smelled that way, though I cannot remember what I did with them. 
     I appreciate your diligence on the fridge clean out, I tend to sustain exclusively on food that was either pantry or freezer stored when swmbo is out of town. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• caliking
    amazes me how many people chunk good food Over a little odor.  Glad you made it. 
    When work involves having bottles of “fecal odor eliminator” ( yes, there is such a thing)  handy, then odors tend not to bother one too much :)

• caliking
    Glad you survived funkfest 2019!   Now get to work on that table cause time is runnin out. 
    Oh man. The table. I have 2 more rounds of sanding and varnish, but can’t bring myself to get it done! May just call it done. 

• caliking
    Thank you for this post. I did not realize that stank was common, I remember opening a package of ribs that smelled that way, though I cannot remember what I did with them. 
     I appreciate your diligence on the fridge clean out, I tend to sustain exclusively on food that was either pantry or freezer stored when swmbo is out of town. 
    Every once in a while, a cryovac of pork ribs will smell funky. Has happened twice to me. 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    caliking said:
    Oh man. The table. I have 2 more rounds of sanding and varnish, but can’t bring myself to get it done! May just call it done. 
    Now, now - don’t be a quitter. You have a solid month left...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Great post.  I admire your willingness to “go for it”, especially with an inexpensive hunk of meat!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • caliking
    SciAggie said:
    caliking said:
    Now, now - don’t be a quitter. You have a solid month left...
     Ima tryin'. Min temp for varnish application is supposedly  65F, so  time and ambient temp may not be on my side. I'm hoping that the argument for the recommended 7 coats, vs. the 5 on it now , is somewhat academic :)

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Spar varnish?  If the wood is no longer absorbing the paint and it's just sitting on top, you can stick a fork in it and call it done.
    Spar varnish?  If the wood is no longer absorbing the paint and it's just sitting on top, you can stick a fork in it and call it done.
    Yep. Epifanes. I’m now officially done with varnishing that  sucker! 

I’m calling the granite guy back tomorrow.