Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Winter's Here in KY!

Options
2»

Comments

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    edited November 2019
    Options
    We had several inches of sleet and freezing rain, roads were pretty crappy for two days. Saw many cars that went straight to destination f ucked. Slow down out there everyone. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited November 2019
    Options

We have drought...Climate Change
    We have too much rain... Climate Change
    We have a heat wave...Climate Change
    We have a cold snap...Climate Change
    You name it.  Too many hurricanes.  Not enough hurricanes.  Too many Nor’easters.  Absence of Nor’easters.

Wildfires in Cal couldn’t be caused by bad forestry policy of letting the deadwood build until the forest is full of kindling waiting for lightning or some jacka$$ to ignite it.  No.  It’s climate change.

Its a very catchy and convenient explanation that will rob you of your wealth (I don’t have much to begin with) through higher taxes and raise the cost of living.  

Flint, Michigan
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    We had several inches of sleet and freezing rain, roads were pretty crappy for two days. Saw many cars that went straight to destination f ucked. Slow down out there everyone. 
    100% agree. One winter day we had to drive down to a wedding in St. Louis, Missouri. From the Twin Cities we saw 96 semis and something like 123 cars/trucks scattered throughout ditches. The first time I've ever felt my vehicle literally glide for 15-20 yards at a time. Crazy what ice can do.

Take your time when driving in this crap. The most often vehicles in the ditches around here are 4x4 pickup trucks and SUV. Just because you have AWD/4×4 doesn't make you an expert. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    I drive a subaru outback, snow doesn't stop that thing, and when I left work the other morning the storm was going full blast. 2" of crap on the roads, I think I hit 20 mph at one point. Slow and steady wins the race. The next day was when I saw all the cars off the road. 

• cookingdude555
    Options
    I burn more charcoal to help those suffering from climate change effects, and feeling extra cold.  Stay warm out there, its going to take many cooks to get this blue planet warmed up proper.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options

We have drought...Climate Change
    We have too much rain... Climate Change
    We have a heat wave...Climate Change
    We have a cold snap...Climate Change
    You name it.  Too many hurricanes.  Not enough hurricanes.  Too many Nor’easters.  Absence of Nor’easters.

Wildfires in Cal couldn’t be caused by bad forestry policy of letting the deadwood build until the forest is full of kindling waiting for lightning or some jacka$$ to ignite it.  No.  It’s climate change.

Its a very catchy and convenient explanation that will rob you of your wealth (I don’t have much to begin with) through higher taxes and raise the cost of living.  

Great response.

But as you have noted each of those weather related issues have gotten steadily more severe and more frequent, since the early 1950's.

The record winds, this year, in California was the primary contributing factor. Drought is another. Climate change related. Any input on the record wild fires in Australia, or other countries around the world?

You are a smart guy. Maybe you should read a bit more, it costs nothing and most of the data can be found on line from those who are allowed to study it.

Higher taxes will come battling climate change and will raise your cost of living. It is not convenient and it will not be for your grandchildren.

It is recognized as an issue with the USFS, and National Parks. So there is that.

Those are government agencies that deal with the environment and the current issues of climate change. Your tax dollars are already being spent there. 

Oh and just one more thing, the Clean air act of 1970, still in effect today, and enforced in regions all over the USA, will also argue the climate change issue. More of your tax dollars are being spent there to help the fight against climate change.

But, just keep banging on the hollow log and let the rest of your tribe know, according to you, it is all BS.

Darwin will win.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    It surely doesnt feel like global warming outside 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    edited November 2019
    Options
    taking the polar plunge just isnt the same as it was in the 1880's,  the surface temps are up a degree, its almost like bath water now up here =) suppose those full length bathing suits retained more warmth back then
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Google “Dennis Miller global warming”  or “George Carlin global warming” Thats my take on this subject. Now I’ll get back to my record breaking cold 25 degree mornings here in NORTH TEXAS that we have had lately.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• YukonRon
    Options
    Here is some data from a couple of financial institutions, Bloomberg, and Merrill Lynch that have several hundred billion dollars invested:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-11-13/climate-change-might-hit-economy-harder-and-faster-than-thought?srnd=premium&utm_source=url_link

They seem to believe that is also will be much more difficult on the generations to come.

But, hey, they read and understand.

Believe what you want.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Fred is a caveman.  Our modern ways frighten and confuse him.  Not his fault.
    The one constant when it comes to climate is change.  It’s always changing.  The Vikings were growing corn & barley in Greenland around 1000 a.d.  The climate has since changed and that’s not feasible now.  So we should blame Viking sheep farts for global cooling?
    Flint, Michigan
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Forget it Fred.

Nothing that effects your environment/climate has a human origin. Got it.

Smog just appears on its own, greenhouse gasses do not exist and the poison in the drinking water is naturally occurring.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I just wish we could see who is flagging comments.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Fun thread. Skipped a bunch of the previous comments, but I get the picture :)

My only comments are that I salute those cooking out in the elements! Those who are bragging about their 82 degree weather, God bless you :)

Happy cookin' yall!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Forget it Fred.

Nothing that effects your environment/climate has a human origin. Got it.

Smog just appears on its own, greenhouse gasses do not exist and the poison in the drinking water is naturally occurring.
    You’re confused, my friend.  For the most part, we have clean air, clean water and the environment is relatively clean.  Nothing’s perfect, but the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland hasn’t caught fire since the 1960’s.  

Why is it that you believe that skepticism of the validity of this global warming scheme equates to desiring dirty air and water?  Nobody wants that.  Try looking at the issue from an economic cost/benefit perspective.  Programs like the green new deal cost vast amounts of money and be a tremendous burden on the economy for years.  What benefit does this program produce?  Hardly any.  

Is that worth the economic hit?
    Flint, Michigan
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Here is some data from a couple of financial institutions, Bloomberg, and Merrill Lynch that have several hundred billion dollars invested:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-11-13/climate-change-might-hit-economy-harder-and-faster-than-thought?srnd=premium&utm_source=url_link

They seem to believe that is also will be much more difficult on the generations to come.

Believe what you want.
    Ron - just because financial institutions are spending money there does not make it a scientific fact.  These folks are very much in the in with the political and policy makers and are in it to make money, not save the environment. 

On topic, high in the teens yesterday in central Iowa and snowing again tonight.  Definitely chilly for this time of year.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    RRP said:
    We dodged the real cold last night. 30 miles one way it hit -8º and 40 miles the other way it hit -12º. We were a balmy 8 above!!!
    Used to travel a lot on business. Peoria was the most memorably cold place I ever visited!
    Peoria for CAT I assume? What biz were you in, Michael?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited November 2019
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    This is part of the process with climate change/global warming, unfortunately. 

The sad truth, the warmer oceans drastically alter currents both in the atmosphere as well as the ocean, creating stronger, and much broader weather patterns which provided the tremendously hot summers, as we have had the last few years, followed by sharp and sudden arctic blasts as we have endured this week.

The Ocean absorbs 90% of the heat, and that is why the temperature, globally, continues to rise. (i.e melting  polar ice). Kind of a big thing for a few reasons: 

1) 10% of the world's population lives 10 meters above sea level, which are threatened severely, with the rising water.

2) The melting ice, changes the chemistry of the oceans, and the more water absorbs more heat, which is detrimental to all sea life. A large portion of the global population relies upon the ocean for food, nourishment and medication.

3 )Coastal habitats for wildlife and plants will be diminished as well.

This is just the effect on the oceans. I could write several volumes what it means to those that live in the "safe" zone, explaining the step by step process that will threaten or negatively impact all human life. (i.e. wild fires, as in California and Australia, just to name 1 of thousands of examples).

I have spent the better part of my life on research and development in the elimination or reduction of VOCs in industrial/commercial applications, which requires the exit from the utilization of hydrocarbons or any volatile organic compounds by the development and use of other sources.

There are environmentally conscious organizations out there which absolutely recognize the threat, and have taken steps to be a better neighbor to our planet.

But anyway....not to get political....just thought the myth which is rampant that "It is all BS"....has another side, which has been documented and witnessed over the last 40-50 years.

It is amazing to me we readily grasp new technology, developed over years of research, yet we do not grasp the critical data about our environments health, provided by many of the same research institutes.

People are funny that way. They would rather believe an uninformed source verbally than information from experts, globally known and recognized as such, by the leading scientists of our times, for their research and development. 

Think globally, act locally.

Peace
    VERY Well Said sir, 
    Take a look here, actual scientist with degrees and peer reviewed papers with explanations 
    .https://www.americanwx.com/bb/forum/18-climate-change/

Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Believe what you want.
    Ron - just because financial institutions are spending money there does not make it a scientific fact.  These folks are very much in the in with the political and policy makers and are in it to make money, not save the environment. 

On topic, high in the teens yesterday in central Iowa and snowing again tonight.  Definitely chilly for this time of year.
    Just an illustration of the impact it has across the board. Trust me, I could line up more scientific studies from around the world, not just here in the United States, that recognize the issues and are work to minimize the impact.

But I will not. 

My statements are based on fact, scientific fact, and folks that refuse to believe there is  not a human impact, not much can be done about that, other than let Darwin take its course. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky