Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Rib Rack for L BGE

Options
anyone?
Memphis raised me, T-Town made me...Aint never been nothing but a winner

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Not a fan of rib racks. Use only as a last resort here. I like to cook ribs flat.

I have used both a stainless steel 6 rib rack that I have no idea where I got it from. I have also used the V rack from BGE turned upside down. IMO you compromise appearance with a rack.
  • tclamberth
    Options
    Not a fan of rib racks. Use only as a last resort here. I like to cook ribs flat.

I have used both a stainless steel 6 rib rack that I have no idea where I got it from. I have also used the V rack from BGE turned upside down. IMO you compromise appearance with a rack.
    I also like to cook them flat and have somewhat jerry rigged my egg to have two layers. I just broke a brick in to 3 pieces and lay another grate over the original one, but can’t really cook more than 3 slabs...I am trying to figure out a way to cook at least 4 but maybe 5 if possible 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    The new eggspander or CGS AR or woo + extender will get you 4 slabs flat with no problem unless they are untrimmed spares.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Agreed with Pete on the woo and extender.  With the 16” drip pan you can get 3 racks on the main grate, 2 whole in center and one split on each outside and 2 on the extender.  Easy to slide extender out of the way for saucing 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • tclamberth
    Options
    How many can you put on the adjustable rig R&B combo?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    20 years ago a rib rack was the very first accessory I bought at the same time as my first egg. I tried to use it once and hated it! Tossed it in the garage for 15 -16 years and decided to use it inverted to hold a turkey above a drip pan. Other than that those racks are worthless to me for the flat way I like to egg my ribs.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I don’t have an AR but I would guess with extender you could get 2-3 more racks.  Call Tom at ceramic grill store.  He’s an honest guy that will help you out and not try to oversell you.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Drummerboy
    Options
    I bought the AR from CGS a year ago and love it. I use it for 4 baby back racks no problem. I like to do them flat as well. You can get at them, switch the grids top to bottom easily. The thing I found extremely handy was being able to lift the whole rig out, oval stone and all, to add charcoal or wood chips/chunks. Quick and easy on all levels.
    Largo, FL

1 LG BGE
    1 Med BGE
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I made a 2nd tier with a Weber rack and 4 carriage bolts after seeing it posted here.

XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • SmokeyLopey
    Options
    I didn't like my rib rack the time I used it and now it is in the bottom of my box holding my platesetter, pizza stones and extra grates.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Baby backs? Three on top and two on bottom everything laying flat
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• MNEggerandStuff
    Options
    Im curious why you guys hate yours.  I would much rather have two of three racks on their side snaked along the path of the platesetter so that none of the meat is getting direct heat rather than the grate filled and the racks being cooked unevenly as the ends hang out into the direct heat channels or worse yet having to turn them so often.

Rotisserie is better but I can imagine doing regular ribs without a rib rack.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Baby backs? Three on top and two on bottom everything laying flat
    If you use a spider and stone down low, can you add the extender and get even more? I can't remember and it is too cold outside to check.  =)
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Extender is on my wish list. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    6 on 3 layers
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • tclamberth
    Options
    6 on 3 layers
    Thought it only had 2 layers?