Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nasty Chicken

So I thought I'd try a test drive for thanksgiving on a small scale. I trued to dry brine a Chicken. I thought if I scaled back the time it would work. Yuck what a salty rubber beast. Not sure I want to do the Turkey on the egg this year. That bird was nasty! You can't un-taste that taste!

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    What size chicken and how much salt did you use? Kind of salt?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited November 2019
    Photo of bird cooking?
    Indirect at 300-350 on chicken will give you terrible rubbery skin every time on the Egg
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    My method to do a turkey is to wet brine the bird, spatchcock it and let it dry overnight in the fridge. Day of the cook, get the egg stabilized to 425 ish for at least 30-45 min, put the bird on raised direct and bank the egg back to where you think it will be 375‘Ish. Crispy skin every time, and even though you are choking the fire some, there is enough airflow to keep the “bad” smoke flowing out of the egg.  This method works well for me. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    See Mad Max.  Can't go wrong with that one!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Two words... Equilibrium Brine. If you can weigh and understand basic arithmetic, you can't **** it up.
    Pratt, KS
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    MattBTI said:
    Two words... Equilibrium Brine. If you can weigh and understand basic arithmetic, you can't **** it up.
    Hold my beer....   =)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Sea2Ski said:
    My method to do a turkey is to wet brine the bird, spatchcock it and let it dry overnight in the fridge. Day of the cook, get the egg stabilized to 425 ish for at least 30-45 min, put the bird on raised direct and bank the egg back to where you think it will be 375‘Ish. Crispy skin every time, and even though you are choking the fire some, there is enough airflow to keep the “bad” smoke flowing out of the egg.  This method works well for me. 
    This but I usually brine overnight in a bucket in the fridge then pat dry and let stand in the fridge a couple hours then spatchcock and cook. 
  • ok small bird, dry brine, no SV but will try next time to see if it's worse but pretty sure it can't be, didn't think it would be remarkable enough to photo, crushed rock salt pebbles, indirect at 350 until 170 on probe. It tasted like smoked rubber salted wormshit! 
  • I do Butter Ball turkeys.  They are brined from factory.  Spatchcock, and they turn out delicious and moist on the egg.  Not rocket science.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    ha - funny post.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Same as others above I always wet brine bird then rinse and leave uncovered in fridge for a few hours before smoking.  Perfect.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Dry brine works. I’ve done exclusively on yardbirds,chops and steaks for several years. All it takes is a good sprinkling of Kosher salt.  Don’t use a heavy dose of table salt or it will be too salty.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.