Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Half 🌝 Grids

Options
I’ve got one that has been used maybe 3 times in several years. It was a gift.   Thinking about tossing.  For those that have one please show me how you use it.  I’m not seeing the advantage now that I’m runnin a woo and extender.  

This is the grid I’m referring to.  I grabbed from BGE site 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Tossed mine years ago.  Marked it up to early enthusiasm for accessories.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    I have one I use with a half moon stone.  My wife will not eat a steak unless it's well done AND tender.  I use it to cook hers indirect with baked potatoes or whatnot on the direct side.   I then use the MMX to do a sear on both our steaks.  I could just use the direct side to sear, but then I wouldn't get to play with two eggs. B)   

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I love it. Use for potatoes or veg (asparagus) etc. don’t really need to use a half stone, but it doesn’t hurt. Move food from indirect to direct. 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    It’s an all in thing. Half moons with half girds on a woo makes a ton of sense. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I have both a half-grid and a half-stone, haven't used either yet (~7 years?)
    Oddly, I used the raised rear shelf on my old Weber a lot....  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    just used mine yesterday. 

Marinated some chix in cilantro, turmeric, mayo, cumin, and wanted the chix to look greenish when done, so didn't want too much char. I have an AR, so had one grid at fire ring level, and the half grid at raised direct. Plan was to do a sort of reverse sear. The half grid made it easier to move the chix down to the direct grid, without having to pull off all the chix, remove a raised direct grid, then place all the pieces on the direct grid. 

Hope that made sense. Didn't take any pix, but I could do a dry run to illustrate. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Totally understand @caliking and thanks for the explanation.  I kinda do the same thing with the extender but I can see where your idea would be easier.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I have the latest BGE version, but similar concept. I use mine to easily switch between grid heights. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have one of those somewhere for an XL. Might still have the wrapper on it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    I have thought about one from CGS to go with my AR's but cant seem to justify its use enough to pull the trigger...