Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri tip success!!

Options
It’s been about 2 yrs and a 2500 mi move since my last post, but I was inspired tonight!

I’ve cooked a few batches of chicken wings lately, but haven’t had time for longer cooks like pork butt or brisket.  I was in an egg rut until a chance encounter with a prime tri-tip at my local Costco.  

I’d never eaten tri-tip, let alone cooked one before, but it was new, exotic, and well marbled and I figured it might be just the remedy I needed.

I dry brined with kosher salt before I left this morning and fired up the egg as soon as I got home today.  As I waited for the egg to come to temp, I rubbed with pepper and a bit of garlic/paprika/cayenne pepper.  Once the egg was up to about 235, I threw on 4 small chunks of pecan, dropped in the plate setter and cooked the tri tip about 50 minutes til it was at 120 in the thickest part.  Then I pulled the meat, removed the plate setter and cranked the egg til it was about 500 and reverse seared on each side for 2 minutes.  Sliced 1/4in slices against the grain (and some small chunks for for the kiddos).

This meal was fantastic!  Just a touch of smoke, good seasoning, and the texture was perfect!  Was worried the tri tip would be tough and dry, but it was as tender as a filet and juicy as a ribeye!  Gonna be cooking one of these again soon.

Comments