Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pronghorn Adventure

Options
Harvested my first pronghorn a few weeks ago. Missed the SOB at 30 yards running by me on my ambush. Ended up getting another chance at him from 320 yards. Harvested him with a Ruger All American Ranch  chambered in 300 blackout & suppressed. The pictured rifle is my brothers.  My brother has been going for 8 years now so I’m familiar with the meat, honestly it’s my favorite game animal to eat that I’ve harvested thus far. It’s not the same as venison. More mild. I prefer it over elk even. I’ve heard of people saying it’s the worst meat ever, I just don’t get it. Maybe it’s how the meat was handled? We quarter ours and get them on ice as soon as possible. Had the steak off this one I shot the other night, it was perfect. EVOO chopped red onion, chopped garlic, a little salt, a little pepper. Marinate in a ziplock for an afternoon or so. Cooked direct @ 375F and pulled at 140F internal. The picture of the steaks show how different the meat can be. My buck is on the left, while a younger one that was harvested the day before is on the right. 
Pratt, KS

Comments

• Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    MMMM Speedgoat! Nice!!!
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Congrats..nice havervest.
    I've had it off of the same animal where it's so good you crave more and so terrible I wouldn't feed it to the duck dogs .

It's always good and tender in a stew though
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    Matt86m said:
    MMMM Speedgoat! Nice!!!

Agreed, they are fast! We had some running next to us at one point and had them clocked at 40mph, no problem. I've read they can run in bursts upto 60 mph. 2nd fastest land mammal under the cheetah.
    Pratt, KS
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    300 BLK at 320 impressive 
    Jacksonville FL
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    taken in KS?
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Way cool!  I have no idea where those animals are.  Where were you hunting?
  • Woadie
    Woadie Posts: 154
    Options
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Grew up in western Kansas where the herds were 80-100 goats.  Farmers & ranchers hated them, so it was easy to get hunting permission.  Bow hunted them from blinds by the water holes.  Most shots were 20-25 yards.  Made some wonderful antelope chili from the meat!  There are some nice trophy animals near Winona Kansas, and easy to hunt!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    It's one of my favorites. Looks like you did it justice too. Thanks for sharing! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • MattBTI
    Options
    Thanks for the interest, all. @Theophan @marysvilleksegghead I harvested in west Texas, near the NM border. A friend is a land owner out there. Landowners get issued special hunt-on-own-land permits for a week long firearm season. 

They are such a unique animal. I think they are quickly becoming my favorite large game, not only to harvest but also to consume. I've found their taste to be mild, in my experiences. 

I am planning to grind 12 lbs of it for burger tonight. Picked up some ribeye fat cap trimmings from my local grocery store that I plan to grind in @ 15%.
    Pratt, KS
  • MattBTI
    Options
    @littlerascal56 I would love to hunt out in western KS. I'm not opposed to archery hunting out there, but sure would like to get drawn for firearm season one of these years. 
    Pratt, KS
  • MattBTI
    Options
    @Dobie it was a stretch for sure. Almost 19" of drop at that range. I was shooting 135 gr. Hornady rounds that hit pretty hard, even at that range, I might switch to a 110 gr. through. Sacrifice some mass but retain more energy down range. I worry about proper bullet expansion beyond 300 yards with the 135 grain. 
    Pratt, KS
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Great post and story
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    MattBTI said:
    ... I harvested in west Texas, near the NM border. A friend is a land owner out there. Landowners get issued special hunt-on-own-land permits for a week long firearm season. 

They are such a unique animal. I think they are quickly becoming my favorite large game, not only to harvest but also to consume. I've found their taste to be mild, in my experiences...
    Interesting -- thanks! I haven't had much game, mostly venison and elk, I think it was.  Tasted HUGELY of sage because it apparently had been eating sage like crazy.  Really delicious.

Thanks for sharing the story and photos!
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    For you guys that are rifle hunting, most Kansas pronghorn are harvested with a 6mm .243 caliber.  Most shots are under 100 yards, including the Boone & Crockett class animals.  I harvested Pope & Young pronghorns with a Black Widow recurve in the late 80’s, so there are plenty of 15” plus goats in NW Kansas. Almost to the point of overpopulation and a real nuisance to the cattle ranchers.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Bucket list hunt is to get a speed goat. With a bow would be ideal. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• littlerascal56
    Options
    I was a staff shooter sponsored by PSE, and shooting 3D tournaments in 3 states. The best chance of harvesting a record class pronghorn was in the archery season. You need big animals when you shoot for PSE.  Switched to Hoyt Staff in 2014, and they only cared about winning tournaments.  So I quit hunting antelope, and shot ethafoam animals! 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @MattBTI
    Great post all around my friend 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.