Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza help

Options
I'm having trouble getting my pizza crispy on the bottom. I've tried rolling out the dough pretty thinly, and have experimented with temperatures ranging from 550-800. What works for you?

My setup:
  • Large BGE
  • convEGGtor legs down
  • cooking rack on top of convEGGtor
  • BGE pizza stone on top of cooking rack

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Make sure you preheat your stone 45-60 minute.  I would use the platesetter legs up so there is more of a gap between the two stones.  The higher you can get your stone in the dome, the better as well, IMO.
    NOLA
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Your pizza stone probably isn't hot enough. I warm the stone for about an hour @ 650 - 700 degrees. 8 minutes is all it takes for a great pie.

The only other thing I can think of is that the dough is soggy due to the toppings being on the dough for too long before cooking.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    500-550* gets its done for me.  My set up is the same, except between the grid and pizza stone, I have 2 bricks to get it higher in the dome.  Make sure the pizza stone is in the whole time it is heating up.  It needs to be the same temp as everything else.  The timing is key, you might think because its 500-600* its going to burn up in 5 min.  It doesn't... My pizza stay in for 12-15 minutes.  Sometimes a little longer because I like the cheese to burn a little.  
    Franklin, TN
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    My solution was a wood/gas fired oven 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Takes a while for all the ceramic to thoroughly heat through (give it a good hour).  

Pay attention to the dough recipe - good recipes will provide a recommended cooking temp range and provide you an indication if they are designed to be a crispy or chewy type of crust.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    dmourati said:
    $109?! Holy Moly! Find a steel yard nearby and pick up a cutoff or piece of scrap for $1 per pound. I got a 1/4"x14"x17" piece for my oven for about $12. Keep meaning to go back and get another piece that'll fit my large.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I agree with @Carolina Q mines 3/8” steel. Free.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• GeezerSteve
    Options
    I'd have said put the convEggtor legs up as well. I actually use a spider with a stone at the fire ring level (top), then the adjustable rig, the main grill (about an inch or so above the gasket), then the oval ar stone on top. I made four pizzas in succession (no more stones to add a second cooking spot) before I ran out of charcoal.

I also agree with pre-heating the stones as much as you can. I ran mine with no top cap and it read 550. That's probably 100 below what it was really. It's an old egg and doesn't read the temp right anymore. I usually use a probe and remote sensor.