Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Stall

Options
Ever had your temps go backwards? 

Got a 6.5lb brisket on the BGE and an hour ago I was at 143* and now I am at 141*. Not concerned about it, just going to let it do it's thing.

The XL is holding 225* pretty damn well! Trimmed it last night. Pulled it out of the fridge at 3 am, started up the egg, seasoned the brisket (by the way, Costco prime started at 9.27lb and trimmed off almost 3lbs of fat.) Let it sit. Egg came up to temp, added the plate setter and wood chunks. Let it go for some more time to stabilize and put the brisket on just after 4 am. Almost 10 hours in,,,,,Cow drives the cook.

XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Yep, had it drop by 5-6F on several occasions.  Give it an hour and it will start climbing.

I'd go ahead an bump it to 240-250F though.  I've found that's a better range for brisket, especially toward the end or after the stall.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    I usually roll 250-260. Had em go back several times. It’ll push through it. If you’re worried, wrap that thing in foil and watch it climb!
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    It pushed thru, on its way up. I did bump the temp up a bit after @stlcharcoal posted. 

6.5lb brisket is taking a lot longer than I thought it would. Even at 1.5 hrs a pound it 'should' have taken less than 10 hours.
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    225*F on the dome (calibrated thermo?) is not far from the finish-line and declaring victory with the feel, usually anywhere from 200-208*F +/-.  At that temp you can figure 2 hrs/lb or more.  I generally run in the 250-280*F (dome) range and figure an hour/lb, always remembering, "The friggin cow drives the cook." 
    Did one last weekend;  11 lbs and took just under 10 hours running around 270*F-FYI. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Calibrated both my temp gauges (have a MM too) last week so they are spot on.
    Read a lot of threads and recipes and saw 225 listed the most. Next one will be hotter,,,,,im getting hungry!

IG -->  matt_86m
  • bradleya123
    Options
    Patience young grasshopper!!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Good answers above, and there are so many factors that affect the "stall". I definitely agree about the 240 range being much better than the 225 range. Quick story that I think relates. When I was a young EGG brisketeer (20 years and 130 competitions ago) I was a purist and thought wrapping the brisket was cheating. In fact, our first 10 competitions (2002-2004) we cooked our briskets low/slow all the way through without wrapping (we did get a few awards). Then after meeting so many great Pitmasters, we finally began wrapping in foil once we had smoke on the meat and a good flavor crust. Usually about the time the meat was 160-170 internal. For us, after about 9 hours at 240.

Our brisket was so much more consistently moist across the entire flat and our timing was more predictable. And the judges wrote down higher scores. Now it didn't matter how long the stall was. Once wrapped in foil and back on the EGG at 240, it's almost always tender in 2-3 hours. So much easier to hit your mark on when it's ready.

There is a million ways to cook a good brisket, but if you haven't tried wrapping, it may be time :) Just one dude's opinion :)

Happy brisketeering!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    As you note it's all about the outcome.  Great result right there.  Time to go again. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    Great looking result!  I'd be super-happy with that!