Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Acacia vs Cedar?

Options
I have narrowed my search for a table for my XLBGE to the BGE brand table which is Acacia and the JJGeorge table which is Cedar.  If price was exactly the same, would one be preferred over another, for longevity?  I plan to have a cover over the table so the aesthetics aren't a huge factor for me. If they were and money were no object, I'd likely go for the challenger designed cart or island.  But I'm down to the above two.    

Comments

• JethroBodeen
    Options
    I know Acacia is hard. Not sure which would last longer. If it were me, I would buy from JJ George. If no other reason, it is hand made here from wood from here. Supporting a small business here. BGE is more than likely made, who knows where. Not to mention they have been known to "closely" copy other folks products. Thats just me....
  • A-Baum
    A-Baum Posts: 29
    Options
    I was likely leaning that way TBH. JJGeorge tables look really good and are coated and finished nicely. Free shipping. It's a little bit more but in the grand scheme it's not that much more. Don't think there's anything wrong with cedar, especially with it being covered most of the time.
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    A-Baum said:
    I was likely leaning that way TBH. JJGeorge tables look really good and are coated and finished nicely. Free shipping. It's a little bit more but in the grand scheme it's not that much more. Don't think there's anything wrong with cedar, especially with it being covered most of the time.
    Agreed, the dude is good to deal with as well. I have emailed him with questions and get answers fast even on weekends. I buy from him whenever I can.
  • A-Baum
    Options
    Mostly unrelated, but how the hell do you "drop" an XL BGE into a table like that delicately?  What are you holding onto?  How many people does it take?  
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    i know John from JJGeorge pretty well we have worked together on several things and he is great.  the tables are made in the US and i know hold up really well.  he uses his original on still in shows and stuff and it looks the same as it did day 1.  make sure you grab a table nest to keep it safe, i am biased towards his as i helped design it.  

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    acacia is more durable but that jj table is going to be better made. depends on your upkeep skills, that first dent or scratch in the cedar top will be painful
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Acacia is really, really hard and durable but it is basically a bush - there are not long boards - it is generally lots of short lengths finger jointed together (not implying that is bad). 

The Cyprus will have a beautiful grain pattern and will age just as well as the Acacia, and it appears you have found a very reputable source. 
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • speed51133
    Options
    Cyprus? What table is Cyprus??
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    A-Baum said:
    Mostly unrelated, but how the hell do you "drop" an XL BGE into a table like that delicately?  What are you holding onto?  How many people does it take?  
    It would take at least two and a 12 pack. I would do it with the dome off and inside ceramics out. Two pieces of line cut to length with loops tied on each end for handles. Run the two lines under the egg so they are crossed on bottom and equally spaced on four places around the egg. Four handles for two people to lift and set in place carefully.
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Cyprus? What table is Cyprus??
    A dufus who can't type Cedar
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • speed51133
    Options
    A-Baum said:
    It would take at least two and a 12 pack. I would do it with the dome off and inside ceramics out. Two pieces of line cut to length with loops tied on each end for handles. Run the two lines under the egg so they are crossed on bottom and equally spaced on four places around the egg. Four handles for two people to lift and set in place carefully.
    I do it myself. I just take apart the egg into all its components. I did not use any line or anything.
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend doing that way but good for you.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    That’s how I do it. Frequently. Basically pull the guts out and loosen and remove the lid then reach through the center and grab the vent opening. Same as building a new one in a table. If you have help then two can grab the top edge. Still remove all the components. 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Why not just build your own 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    if a solitary guy could build Coral Castle by himself, the average person can figure out some engineering using a couple strong people to drop a couple hunnert pounds into a hole.....
    Options
    That’s how I do it. Frequently. Basically pull the guts out and loosen and remove the lid then reach through the center and grab the vent opening. Same as building a new one in a table. If you have help then two can grab the top edge. Still remove all the components. 
     Remember to wear a glove or use a towel  you're going to grab it by the... vent like that. That steel can bite.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited October 2019
    Options
    if a solitary guy could build Coral Castle by himself, the average person can figure out some engineering using a couple strong people to drop a couple hunnert pounds into a hole.....
    it is well settled that alien technology (Antikythera mechanism) was used to build the coral castle. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    caliking said:
     Remember to wear a glove or use a towel  you're going to grab it by the... vent like that. That steel can bite.
    Ah, doctors hands.  =)
  • A-Baum
    Options
    Well I got neither the JJGeorge or the Acacia table. I REALLY wanted to get the JJGeorge but I found a BGE dealer within 45 mins of me that had one XL Big Green Egg table in Mahogany for $469 and I couldn't say no. Was a $1200 table as far as I am aware, but it was discontinued and was on a serious closeout.  Couldn't turn it down at that price. Just need to get a cover ordered in.  I'll update when I build it and populate it.  
  • OshawaDave
    Options
    A-Baum said:
    Well I got neither the JJGeorge or the Acacia table. I REALLY wanted to get the JJGeorge but I found a BGE dealer within 45 mins of me that had one XL Big Green Egg table in Mahogany for $469 and I couldn't say no. Was a $1200 table as far as I am aware, but it was discontinued and was on a serious closeout.  Couldn't turn it down at that price. Just need to get a cover ordered in.  I'll update when I build it and populate it.  

It sounds like a win. You got a great deal and you're happy! It's all good.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• EGGHEAD83
    Options
    I’ve got the same BGE brand mahogany table for my large. Got it on sale after being discontinued.  I’ve had it for a couple of years now and it’s in great condition. I try to keep it covered when not in use but sometimes I forget for a few days. Hasn’t seemed to hurt it. 
    Large BGE, small BGE, 2-22” Weber kettles, 26” Weber kettle, Weber jumbo joe, 14” WSM, 17” BS and 36” BS. Hope Mills, NC. USA.