Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare Ribs on now

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
edited October 2019 in EggHead Forum
Mrs. 500 made the call this morning for pulled pork. I said, kinda too to do that late for dinner. Ribs?  Ok. Still pushing it for time since I hadn’t even shopped yet. Found spare ribs at Sam’s. Trimmed them up and made up a savory rub. Let them sit on the rub for 3 hours. Tried to keep the Egg to 275*, but it kept creeping up to 325* before it started to burn clean. So they are on now at 375* at 2pm EST. I’m thinking I’ll need to foil them in 2 or 3 hours. It’s a wait and see now if I can’t deliver by 6:30.  And cleaning out the Egg I found a base crack.  This is my 2nd. 

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    At that temp they might be done in 3 hours. good eats await
    Options
    At that temp they might be done in 3 hours. good eats await
    Thanks. I’ve never turbo’d ribs before. 
    Member since 2009
  • pgprescott
    Options
    You can still wrap if you want, but at that temp I would say 45 minutes is plenty. Cheers!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    That flap meat goes great in a pot of beans for the next round.  Nice job cleaning those racks up.  Lookin good. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    500 said:

You still had room for one ABT on the right side of the grill...  =)
    Great use of real estate!  (too bad about the crack, though)  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Options
    Drizzled some SBR thinned with ACV and foiled at the 2 hour mark. 
    Member since 2009
    edited October 2019
    Options
    So to recap;

Spare Ribs, trimmed

Sam’s Club cryovac 2fer pack

Savory dry Rub for 3 hours ahead of time. 

325* indirect 

2pm start

Foiled at 2 hour mark

4:40. FTC one of them

5:10. FTC 2nd rack 

Rest for 30 minutes 

They were good, not great to me. Thumbs up from everyone else. Foiling made them wet, not dry. And they fell off the bone but were still chewy in places where the collagen didn’t break down. Some bones were better than others. Actually first time in a long time doing spares. We usually do baby backs. I don’t cook ribs that often so still learning. 

Member since 2009
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I have two different camps of "how I want my pork ribs".  As you can guess, one is "falling off the bone" and the other is "a little tug".  So, being lazy I just use the foil for the "falling" finish ( no more than around 30-45 mins at about 260-280*F on the dome) and ignore for the other fans.
    Toothpick for the finish-line regardless of cook process.
    I never apply any sauce-that's a post cook exercise for the consumers.  I'm sure there are many here with better options but that's all I've got.  FWIW-
    Edit:  That's a tray of ribs I would take any time.  Great outcome from here.  We are our own worst critics. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    500 said:
    So to recap;

Spare Ribs, trimmed

Sam’s Club cryovac 2fer pack

Savory dry Rub for 3 hours ahead of time. 

325* indirect 

2pm start

Foiled at 2 hour mark

4:40. FTC one of them

5:10. FTC 2nd rack 

Rest for 30 minutes 

They were good, not great to me. Thumbs up from everyone else. Foiling made them wet, not dry. And they fell off the bone but were still chewy in places where the collagen didn’t break down. Some bones were better than others. Actually first time in a long time doing spares. We usually do baby backs. I don’t cook ribs that often so still learning. 

Baby backs lend themselves to turbo cooks more than spares imo. They are leaner thus less layered fat to render. Nothing better than low and slow spares though. The added fat makes them so succulent. Yours look far better than edible. Nice adjustment!
    Options
    I overshot the 275* temp in my rush to plate at 6:30pm.  I should have lit the fire earlier than 12:30pm.  I did like the spares better than baby backs.  I need more practice.  Probably have only done a dozen rib cooks in my lifetime on the Egg.
    Member since 2009
  • tbutleriv
    Options
    Those pics look great. When I do pork ribs I use the 3-2-1 method at a temp of 225. I tried beef spare ribs a couple of week ago and they were good but was more like a roast than ribs. Still very tasty.
    Great work.
  • tbutleriv
    Options
    Have some beef ribs going today. Not spare ribs though. Butcher called them gourmet beef ribs. Not much trimming needed. Left membrane on underside. Scored membrane with knife to allow rub to get in. Smoking with hickory and apple. 225 heat for 3 hours and then will wrap in tin foil until meat temp is reached.

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Beef ribs are a favorite, never seen any similar to those, but I’m sure they’re going to taste great. 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • tbutleriv
    Options
    @NorthPilot06 here are pics from my 1st attempt at beef spare ribs. Looked great and tasted great just not the texture I had hoped for. Own worse critic.

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Like you said, sure looks great to me. Hope these come out even better
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...