Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Talk about moving out-sub 2 hour marathon run - OT

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,385
"Eliud Kipchoge has become the first athlete to run a marathon in less than two hours, although it will not count as a world record.

The Olympic champion and world record holder from Kenya clocked 1 hour, 59 minutes, 40.2 seconds Saturday at the INEOS 1:59 Challenge, an event set up for the attempt."

That is getting it done.  Impressive.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    If I got to run behind a car and use a group of pacers, it’d still take me 4.5 hours. 

All of the nay-sayers on his accomplishment are ridiculous!  Thanks for the positive thread @lousubcap =)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    A 4 minute and 34 second mile, 26.2 times...  Amazing feat.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Interesting name, Eliud Kipchoge. The first well known middle distance runner from Kenya was a guy named Kipchoge Keino, got his start running to/from school, 16 miles every day - barefooted! He was 5 years old! No relation to Eliud. Don't think Kip ever ran the marathon, but he was the first famous Kenyan runner and has inspired most of them since then.

Went to the Boston Marathon in 1982 and watched the "Duel in the Sun". Alberto Salazar 2:08:48, D!ck Beardsley 2:08:53. Five seconds after 26 miles! They drafted each other! And no, I didn't remember the times, had to look 'em up. I do remember the finish of that race though! Wow! Not 1:59, but not too shabby.

Speaking of drafting, here's Mile-a-Minute-Murphy, the first cyclist to hit 60 MPH. On a fixie no less! In 1899.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    Just Wow, 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I’ll be looking at this in depth later. That is an incredible human achievement. If I remember that works out to a 4:34 mile X 26.2 miles. Dayum. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I ran a 4:30 mile once. Just the one though. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I ran a 4:30 mile once. Just the one though. =)
    On my best day in the best shape of my life I could never run even one mile that fast. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    I see it as the equivalent of Roger Bannister breaking the four minute mile, so long ago.

But all records are made to be broken. I used to think nobody would ever beat Bob Beamon's long jump record. That one took 23 years to be broken, although it's still the Olympic record after more than 50 years.

We all stand in awe of such incredible athletes. Simone Biles is another one.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I always wonder where the limits of maximum human potential lie. With PED and CRISPR gene editing and perhaps some as yet unknown nutritional course (more brisket?) could someone, someday run a 1:45:00 marathon? An 8 second 100m?
    What is always pretty mind blowing to me is to watch those old films of Olympic gymnastics from a hundred years ago and compare the routines from then to what we are used to watching these days. I'm pretty sure the competitors and judges from a hundred years ago would watch what a competitive 13 year old is capable of these days and swear they are aliens.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    That's pretty amazing!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95