Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Bands

Options
I have an XL.  Dome has never fit right.  Significant underbite.  I replaced the base due to a crack and have never been able to get things right or even back to how it was originally.   Have taken things apart multiple times and I still have the underbite, done sits more to the left than being centered, and now I can barely open it as it seems that something is hinge bound.  Also I can’t get the dome to sit on the base in the back  - significant gap.  

Will the new bands fix all of this? 

I know it isn’t easy to picture it all through a post - I guess I just want to know if perhaps the new bands are more idiot proof when it comes to installing. Thanks. 
XL BGE

Comments

• Mikeyice
    Options
    Yes. I had the same issues and saw that mine were warped. They replaced mine for me free of charge as a warranty. New bands fixed the issue and were very easy to install. I have a L egg but I’m sure it’s ale as an XL
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I believe your issue is the need for more elongated slots on the side pieces. This has been corrected. You can ask for those two parts to be replaced and this will correct the issue IMO. Good luck. 
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts.  Will talk to my dealer about them. 
    XL BGE
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Your dealer may or may not be aware of this issue. If not have them contact their distributor or contact corporate. Good luck. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I replaced the bands on my L and XL at the same time replacing the gasket with an @RRP special and they have both been performing extremely well ever since.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    Measure the dome across in a couple spots and then measure the base in the same spots make sure they are close. These things have a tendency to be different sizes, sometimes by a considerable amounr..ask me how I know.....