Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two briskets on an XL...questions

Options
I’m hosting a party Saturday evening at 6:30.  We’re expecting ten to twelve adults and eight to twelve kiddos.  I bought a16.5 and 15.5 full packer to throw on my XL.  I don’t have an adjustable rig, so I checked for space and untrimmed they fit snugly on the grate, so after trimming they should fit no problem.  But do I need to do both?  I’m thinking yes...better too much than not enough, right?  Also, I’m planning to throw them on at 11 Friday night.  I’m guessing they should finish around 1 if I run 250-275, then FTC until 6:30.  I’m worried, though, that 11 the night before may be too early, though.  I know the cow drives the friggin’ cook, but any thoughts on timing?  I’ve never done an overnight cook before and am wondering if there’s anything I should know.  I don’t have any temperature gadgets and am counting on the Egg to hold the temperature until I get up the next morning and check (I get up between 6and 7 on weekends).

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Borderline on the quantity. I would prolly do both just out of caution, cuz that’s how I am wired. I would figure @ 9 hours cook time at those temps and possibly less. It’s fine to be done early. Pretty good plan. 
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    I’d do both and send people home with doggy bags after they can’t eat anymore.  Save some for yourself, of course. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Crank out some hot-dogs while the briskets (and I'll agree with both) FTC and you will be just fine.
    Locking your BGE in at that temp (250-275*F thermo calibrated?) range I would always plan for about an hour/lb with the goal of finishing inside the 2-6 hour prior to serve window.  BTW-your weight can be reduced by a good 2-3 lbs based on the trim job, thus your early finish concern.
    Here's the challenge, I have had a 5 lb point only brisket cook take 10 hours at the above temp and a 13 lb packer finish in 8+ hours.  Thus my 2-6 hour target finish window.
    No worries if early as there are ways to keep the brisket happy for many hours well beyond a reasonable FTC window.  Better to finish early than late as it really does benefit from a protracted hold and you are not sweating punching it home. 
    I run w/o any temperature controller and in your case I would fire up the BGE around 8 PM and make sure it is stable  (no vent movement for around an hour) before loading the brisket.  Decide on when you want to load 'em up after the stable run and then don't mess with any vents once you drop 20+ lbs of cold beef on to the BGE.  It will recover just fine.  Then give it a look if nature calls mid sleep-time other-wise see where you are early AM.  From that data point you will have several options to get into the above mentioned FTC window. 
    If here I will be happy to offer some insights if you want.
    You've got this. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Crank out some hot-dogs while the briskets (and I'll agree with both) FTC and you will be just fine.
    Locking your BGE in at that temp (250-275*F thermo calibrated?) range I would always plan for about an hour/lb with the goal of finishing inside the 2-6 hour prior to serve window.  BTW-your weight can be reduced by a good 2-3 lbs based on the trim job, thus your early finish concern.
    Here's the challenge, I have had a 5 lb point only brisket cook take 10 hours at the above temp and a 13 lb packer finish in 8+ hours.  Thus my 2-6 hour target finish window.
    No worries if early as there are ways to keep the brisket happy for many hours well beyond a reasonable FTC window.  Better to finish early than late as it really does benefit from a protracted hold and you are not sweating punching it home. 
    I run w/o any temperature controller and in your case I would fire up the BGE around 8 PM and make sure it is stable  (no vent movement for around an hour) before loading the brisket.  Decide on when you want to load 'em up after the stable run and then don't mess with any vents once you drop 20+ lbs of cold beef on to the BGE.  It will recover just fine.  Then give it a look if nature calls mid sleep-time other-wise see where you are early AM.  From that data point you will have several options to get into the above mentioned FTC window. 
    If here I will be happy to offer some insights if you want.
    You've got this. 

Thank you, sir!  You’re the best!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    As usual, @lousubcap has your back.  Yet another example of why this forum is great.  Keep us posted on the progress.  You've got this.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    May want to go with 1 brisket and 1 pork butt.  Sometimes the kiddos (and some strange adults) will only eat the pork. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • haroldopsf
    Options
    Timely thread. I just cooked 2 16 lbs SNR blacks last Thursday onmy XL. I usually cook 1 18lbs SNR black every 3 months. Last week was the second time I cooked two on the XL.
    Two things I  found:
    1) There is no time difference cooking 1 or 2 on the XL
    2) For the 18lbs, which I've cooked maybe 6 times every 3 months, I got it down to a repeatable process, don't even think about  it much. To serve it at noon, I plan to put it on at 11pm day before at 250 steady (I start the egg at 10pm). I then wrap it at 8 am, and it is always ready at about 11ish. I can always hit the target closely with the 18lbs

I do use a Flamboss temp controller, and could not live (or sleep) without it, specially when there is the pressure of cooking for other people. But, if you are good and consistent with manual temp control on the egg, and can sleep soundly trusting it, go for it (I couldn't).

About the two briskets now, a couple of things. Make sure they don't touch. I use wood skewers in between to push them apart. 
    Also, it will be inevitable that the ends (the thin part of the flat, some side area, and the end of the point) will hang out of the deflector plate covered area. They will get dry easier. I would not cook above 250 for that reason. The fire source will be too exposed to  parts of the briskies. 

Lastly, make sure you don't get parts of brisket on your gaskets. If you do, the next time you do a hot cook (like pizzas) the gaskets will likely get stuck
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    I recommend about 1h per pound at 250. The biggest thing is to make sure that you load it up with coal essentially to the top of the first fire ring just beneath your deflector. I would start the fire at the back or front or wherever your thickest point of brisket will sit. This will help with you not overdoing the ends. Having a lot of charcoal will not allow a lot of air in and will keep the temperature a lot more steady. 
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Jcl5150
    Options
    All great advice.  Thanks so much!  I’m looking forward to the cook!
  • Jcl5150
    Options
    Okay, I’m off!  I filled the Egg with Rockwood and lit it at 11, then trimmed the briskets and rubbed them with Hard Core Carnivore.  I got the Egg stabilized at 250 and then put on the meat just after midnight.  I was dumb and fiddled with the bottom vent by tapping it open a bit more and the dome temp climbed to about 285.  I’m bringing her back down about ten degrees then going to sleep.  Hopefully the temp stays stable overnight.
  • Jcl5150
    Options
    Okay, I just checked the meat, and it looks as though I’m going to run into a problem.  The Egg was running at about 285, so I tapped the air intake down to drop the temperature.  I then probed for temperature.  The brisket on the left probed 185 in the point and 200 in the flat.  The one on the right probed at 177 in the point and 192 in the flat.  It looks like these babies are nearly done, but my guests aren’t arriving until 6:30, well beyond FTC time!  Any advice on how to reheat and still keep the brisket moist?
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Personally I would FTC. You can stretch that out by wetting a towel and putting it in the microwave for a short bit to make a steam towel. Double wrap them. Once you have exhausted you FTC you can put them in your oven on the lowest setting. It’ll be similar to an alto sham the restaurants use to hold their meat. Do your best and it’ll be fine. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Regarding the protracted FTC, in addition to doing the towel trick, pre-heat your cooler with hot water before loading up.  You can also warm some fire bricks then wrap in foil and put in the cooler.  And regarding the clock-box (aka oven) after a cooling rack rest to stop the carry-over cooking you can put them in an aluminum pan and tightly foil it (to prevent moisture loss) and then in the clock-box on it's lowest setting (mine only goes to 170*F).  Until prior to slice on demand and eat-time.  then remove and have at it. 
    BTW-you may not be as close to the finish-line as you think.  Just go with the feel in the thick part of the flat and then the hold phase. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jcl5150
    Options
    Thanks so much, guys!  I actually have them both still on.  Here’s what’s happening:  most of the smaller one is probing like buttah, but the front corner area of the point is at 188 and needs a little pressure to get the probe in.  Should I let it ride until the whole thing probes like buttah or should I take it off now so the rest doesn’t get too dry?  The bigger one is only at 177 and isn’t probing like buttah so that’s staying on.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I very seldom see the point lagging the flat temperature-wise as I always run with the point to the back (hotter back there) and with the higher fat content it can take the heat.  That said, I would note the temp and feel in the thick part of the flat and if it is probing like buttah not wait on the point.  FWIW-
  • Jcl5150
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I very seldom see the point lagging the flat temperature-wise as I always run with the point to the back (hotter back there) and with the higher fat content it can take the heat.  That said, I would note the temp and feel in the thick part of the flat and if it is probing like buttah not wait on the point.  FWIW-
    Okay, I do have the point in the back.  The thickest part of the flat is at 199 and not quite probing like buttah, but it’s close.  I’ll give it another half-hour (dome temp is 250), then check it.  Thanks!
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    The point and the flat overlap each other. You’re probably getting resistance in the flat portion of the brisket — But take my advice with a grain of salt as I’m not a brisket expert
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Jcl5150
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Just just pulled this beauty off and I’m about to FTC.  That’ll be perfect as we’re supposed to eat at 6:30.  The first one was done at about 11, so I FTC’ed that one already.  I think at 5 I’ll pull that one out and put it in the oven on the lowest the temperature will go.  Hopefully it’ll still be good!
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Jcl5150 said:
    Just just pulled this beauty off and I’m about to FTC.  That’ll be perfect as we’re supposed to eat at 6:30.  The first one was done at about 11, so I FTC’ed that one already.  I think at 5 I’ll pull that one out and put it in the oven on the lowest the temperature will go.  Hopefully it’ll still be good!
    Spectacular!!!!!
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Looks phenomenal. You’ve got some lucky guests coming!
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • lousubcap
    Options
    That HC Black can lay down a bark.  Great eats await.  Always slice against the grain and only on demand-will dry out before your eyes. 
  • Jcl5150
    Options
    The briskets turned out unbelievable!  Everyone commented on the quality, with one guy saying he’d pay twenty bucks for just a single slice in a restaurant!  Thanks for all the help yesterday, everyone!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Great result right there and the guest comments say it all.  Congrats.  I would gladly take that outcome every time.
    BTW- got a nice ring as well. 
  • Jcl5150
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Great result right there and the guest comments say it all.  Congrats.  I would gladly take that outcome every time.
    BTW- got a nice ring as well. 
    I didn’t wrap it in butcher paper at all this time.  The bark was crunchier and there was a more pronounced smoke ring.  That smoke ring made for a nice presentation and received compliments as well!