Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for the Best Steak Recipe

Options
Been Egging for years and make some good S&P steaks but the wife wants something with a little more flavor.  Want to do something to wow her for our 35th anniversary since she got me the first egg..   suggestions?
XL BGE, Akorn and one very old Ducane... 
HUSKER Football, UK Basketball (Went to 2 good sports schools)  
Washington Mo.

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    You've had an egg for 35 years, and you haven't perfect steak?  Dude.

And actually, I fine s&p is best for steak - change it up with a different cut.  A nice dry aged ribeye.  A flank steak. 

Best I've ever had is the gold wagyu ribeye cap from SRF.  Like butter.  But still just s&p.
    NOLA
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Simplest:  I really like Dizzy Pig Cow Lick on steaks.  Usually I prefer just salt and pepper, but when I want to jazz it up a bit, I like Cow Lick a lot.

Fanciest:  Regular reverse sear steak with salt and pepper with this sauce mostly on the side so you can have some bites plain and some with sauce from Saveur:
    Salsa Delle Erbe

1 cup packed basil leaves 

1 cup packed flat-leaf parsley leaves 

2 tablespoons packed fresh oregano leaves 

1 tablespoon packed fresh rosemary leaves 

1 tablespoon packed fresh thyme leaves 

1 tablespoon packed fresh tarragon leaves 

2 cloves garlic minced 

3⁄ 4 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus 2 tbsp. 

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste 

24 oz. 2"–3"-thick rib-eye strip, or porterhouse steak 

Put the herbs and garlic on a cutting board and finely chop together with a large knife. Transfer herb mixture to a small bowl and stir in 3/4 cup oil. Season herb sauce with salt and pepper, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside for at least 1 hour to let the flavors meld. 

Meanwhile, put steak on a plate; season generously with salt and pepper and rub with the remaining oil. Reverse sear.

The dish is based on one served by the Italian-born chef Cesare Casella at Salumeria Rosi in New York City.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    What cut does your wife prefer? That makes all the difference in how you can effectively season it. I wouldn’t season a filet like I would a tomahawk. 
  • BigreenGreg
    Options
    I grilled large rib-eyes and added a red wine reduction sauce that made it perfection. Used a Cab. Sorry it’s in a book somewhere but I’m sure it is on the net somewhere. 
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    A quality cut of beef doesn't need anything but Salt & Pepper. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Woadie
    Woadie Posts: 154
    Options
    I’ve had steaks rubbed with Hardcore Carnivore black.  I also like Worcestershire and some minced garlic with salt and pepper. 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Off the wall for this place (because it’s not just s$p) but one of my favorite steak variations is from the pioneer woman she has a creamy blue cheese sauce that is awesome. We make it a couple times a year.  It’s also a good pasta sauce.  

https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/grilled-ribeye-steak-with-onion-blue-cheese-sauce/

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    ... the pioneer woman ... has a creamy blue cheese sauce that is awesome...
    Thanks for posting that -- I'm not a huge fan of hers, but boy, she sure made that sound and look fantastic.  By the time I got to the end of her series of photos and descriptions I was really craving that dish!

She also put really well how I feel about sauces (and rubs) on steak:
    Good steaks do not need sauce. But they’re every bit as delicious with a good sauce as they are on their own. And as much steak as we eat in our household, I like to change things up. 
    Most of the time, on a really good steak all I want is salt and pepper.  I don't want to cover up the fantastic flavor of a properly cooked steak.  But once in a while, yeah, it's great to have a change.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    We do a very creamy bleu cheese sriracha sauce for steaks as well as for tenderloin sliders. Works out ok
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    edited September 2019
    Options
    At least one world leader likes an overcooked steak with ketchup. Not me, but maybe you don't want to rule it out.

More seriously, I keep it simple Raising the Steaks or a Montreal-type seasoning, but nailing the finish temp is more important to me than whatever seasoning is or isn't used. Some blue cheese sprinkled on, or a chimichurri sauce if we're looking for a change of pace.
    Stillwater, MN
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    3 simple things make a wonderful steak dinner for us:
    Dry-aged ribeyes for the meat,
    kosher salt for taste and
    butter in a candle heated warmer to dip bites in! 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CornfedMA
    Options
    @RRP nailed it! Butter is an underrated compliment to steaks. I’m a big fan of putting a pad of a compound butter on a steak after it comes off the heat, right before it hits the table. Garlic herb and Gorgonzola my go-to’s. 

I also 2nd @Woadie ‘s recommendation of the Hardcore Carnivore Black. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    At least one world leader likes an overcooked steak with ketchup. Not me, but maybe you don't want to rule it out.

More seriously, I keep it simple Raising the Steaks or a Montreal-type seasoning, but nailing the finish temp is more important to me than whatever seasoning is or isn't used. Some blue cheese sprinkled on, or a chimichurri sauce if we're looking for a change of pace.
    +1. I’m no world leader, but love the coriander and other flavors in DP Raising the Steaks. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Theophan said:
    U_tarded said:
    ... the pioneer woman ... has a creamy blue cheese sauce that is awesome...
    Thanks for posting that -- I'm not a huge fan of hers, but boy, she sure made that sound and look fantastic.  By the time I got to the end of her series of photos and descriptions I was really craving that dish!

She also put really well how I feel about sauces (and rubs) on steak:
    Good steaks do not need sauce. But they’re every bit as delicious with a good sauce as they are on their own. And as much steak as we eat in our household, I like to change things up. 
    Most of the time, on a really good steak all I want is salt and pepper.  I don't want to cover up the fantastic flavor of a properly cooked steak.  But once in a while, yeah, it's great to have a change.

This is how we feel too, we eat steak at least 1x per week so this is a nice change, plus I love a good stinky blue cheese.  

I can’t stand all the story behind the recipes but usually her stuff is solid, we make a cornbread dressing at thanksgiving that we got from her that is fantastic.
  • jdsmithii
    Options
    I am a big fan of reverse seared over oak, medium-rare, served with a homemade garlic herb compound butter.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Salt, pepper and a dash of cumin and a nice Chimichurri for a board sauce 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    jetman96 said:
    pat of Kerry-Gold butter.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Try this
    Filet mignon cut into 2" cubes, marinate in chimichurri sauce..equal parts red wine vinegar and evoo.  Throw a couple of crushed garlic cloves in along with a pinch of cumin and a cup of chopped flat leaf parsley

If you prefer cook kabobs first then dip in chimichurri...i always reserve a little on the side to pour over cooked meat

It is always a winner
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    bearnaise sauce with a fillet mignon, trex a ribeye with salt on the sear and cowlick or raising the steaks on the rest before roasting, strip steak is better with the sousvide with salt rosemary and thyme at 120 for 4 hours then cool it a bit and dry it off for the sear
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    A good thick reverse seared rare ribeye with Bordelaise or a mushroom Marsala sauce on the side is all I need. If you put blue cheese on my steak I will go eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. 
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Simplest:  I really like Dizzy Pig Cow Lick on steaks.  Usually I prefer just salt and pepper, but when I want to jazz it up a bit, I like Cow Lick a lot.

Fanciest:  Regular reverse sear steak with salt and pepper with this sauce mostly on the side so you can have some bites plain and some with sauce from Saveur:
    Salsa Delle Erbe

1 cup packed basil leaves 

1 cup packed flat-leaf parsley leaves 

2 tablespoons packed fresh oregano leaves 

1 tablespoon packed fresh rosemary leaves 

1 tablespoon packed fresh thyme leaves 

1 tablespoon packed fresh tarragon leaves 

2 cloves garlic minced 

3⁄ 4 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus 2 tbsp. 

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste 

24 oz. 2"–3"-thick rib-eye strip, or porterhouse steak 

Put the herbs and garlic on a cutting board and finely chop together with a large knife. Transfer herb mixture to a small bowl and stir in 3/4 cup oil. Season herb sauce with salt and pepper, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside for at least 1 hour to let the flavors meld. 

Meanwhile, put steak on a plate; season generously with salt and pepper and rub with the remaining oil. Reverse sear.

The dish is based on one served by the Italian-born chef Cesare Casella at Salumeria Rosi in New York City.

This looks similar to chimichurri sauce, but a few more herbs.  I’m going to give it a shot.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• SoCalWJS
    Options
    A nice thick Filet Mignon with Carne Crosta was a very memorable steak dinner for my wife and me. A sauteed mushroom/cream reduction on the side. I cooked it T-Rex to try to maximize the crust. Dee Lish!
    South SLO County
  • byrne092
    Options
    Very easy and delicious.
    Porcini encrusted ribeye with aged balsamic.
    Season steak normally with S&P
    Pulverize dried porcini mushrooms, then liberally coat the steak with them.
    I do reverse sear, but you can cook with your preferred method and I'm sure it won't change the result.
    When you are ready to eat, add a liberal amount of good aged balsamic.
    Get a good bottle of wine.
    Enjoy!

XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO