Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Off-center (or sideways) lid opening?

Options
My egg is nested in a table. Just moved into a new place with a wall behind the table location. To open the lid, with the chimney cap on, I need to pull the table a bit far off the back wall. Am I crazy to think I might just rotate the EGG or the lid so it opens to the side or 45º off center?
Moved from upper left to Denver, CO | BGE LG & MMX + Kotaigrill [Hibachi]

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Whatever will work for you.  But something to consider, if you presently have a good dome to base seal I would not rotate just the lid.  I gather leaving the BGE pulled away from the wall is not a permanent solution/option??
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Please seek help. You are in fact 🥜. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited September 2019
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Whatever will work for you.  But something to consider, if you presently have a good dome to base seal I would not rotate just the lid.  I gather leaving the BGE pulled away from the wall is not a permanent solution/option??
    Sorry cap, rotating just the lid and hinge would mess up the seal only if the top or bottom is not perfectly (or close to) round? If OP rotates the whole egg, it won't be easy to access lower vent from the side; opening the dome from the side is not as difficult?
    canuckland
  • Kelso
    Kelso Posts: 79
    Options
    I have the same issue, probably not to the same extent as you, but nonetheless my Egg lid will contact the raised bartop that runs behind it.  Mostly it does not bother me, but sometimes I do move my Egg to avoid it, such as in a multiple pizzas cook where I'm opening/closing the Egg a lot.

What I did was to take a slab of granite from the hole they cut into my countertop for the Egg, and attach it to a Lazy Susan base ring I bought online.  Now I just rotate the Egg when desired. 

You could probably find a Lazy Susan made with granite, I just did it the way I did so it would match my countertop.
    XL and a MM.  

League City, Texas
  • Kelso
    Kelso Posts: 79
    Options
    Here it is rotated about 15 degrees I think.

XL and a MM.  

League City, Texas
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    How flammable is the wall? 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• acolle
    acolle Posts: 133
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I’m likely not going to risk breaking this seal. It is a good one. Also, I can live with it floating away from the wall for now. Thanks always, Lousubcap.
  • acolle
    acolle Posts: 133
    Options
    Kelso said:
    I have the same issue, probably not to the same extent as you, but nonetheless my Egg lid will contact the raised bartop that runs behind it.  Mostly it does not bother me, but sometimes I do move my Egg to avoid it, such as in a multiple pizzas cook where I'm opening/closing the Egg a lot.

What I did was to take a slab of granite from the hole they cut into my countertop for the Egg, and attach it to a Lazy Susan base ring I bought online.  Now I just rotate the Egg when desired. 

You could probably find a Lazy Susan made with granite, I just did it the way I did so it would match my countertop.
    I like the lazy Susan idea! 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    acolle said:
    Kelso said:

I like the lazy Susan idea! 
    That is actually borderline genius.