Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

beyond meat

dont know why i did it, know it will never happen again

HO Beyond Burger meatier burger

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,718
    edited September 2019
    Need more details... Any cooked pics?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Shame on you!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    no pics so never happened =) lousy texture, lousy taste, nice red interior from the beet root i think. half a bottle of hot sauce to get it down. dog seemed happy with the second one.  this black oil oozed out in the ci pan.  bought some grass fed burger for a redo tonight.  pretty much the only thing right about it was the med/rare color on the inside
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    the fat content is way high, not for someone that looks at nutrition labels. you might as well eat a quarter pounder from mcdonalds
    fukahwee maine

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    dont know why i did it, know it will never happen again...
    Oddly enough, I tried one, myself, just yesterday.  I didn't grill it, just fried it in a skillet, and I thought it was good!  It was far and away the most "hamburger-like" vegetarian burger I've ever had.  I'm afraid I overcooked it a bit, but it was still good, a lot like a bit overcooked hamburger.

But I was mostly comparing it to other vegetarian burgers I've had, of which I've had a bunch (I eat vegetarian nearly half the time, overall), NOT to a well-prepared actual meat hamburger, so that might be why I had a different impression.  In fact, I was surprised by finding myself wondering whether I actually wanted a vegetarian burger to seem so much like a regular hamburger!  I'm used to them being pretty different.  Again, it's a bit odd: I found it by far the most like a regular hamburger of any vegetarian burger I've ever had, and yet I wasn't positive I liked it much more, maybe even any more, than the other vegetarian burgers I've had.

I think if the object is health, I'm not sure they're super healthy, really, but if the object is specifically not to eat meat, and you want a hamburger-like burger, I thought it was pretty good.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,406
    I'm not really a fast food person, but am curious how the Impossible Whopper tastes.  100% plant based.  Anyone try it?

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • fishlessman
    Theophan said:
    dont know why i did it, know it will never happen again...
    Oddly enough, I tried one, myself, just yesterday.  I didn't grill it, just fried it in a skillet, and I thought it was good!  It was far and away the most "hamburger-like" vegetarian burger I've ever had.  I'm afraid I overcooked it a bit, but it was still good, a lot like a bit overcooked hamburger.

But I was mostly comparing it to other vegetarian burgers I've had, of which I've had a bunch (I eat vegetarian nearly half the time, overall), NOT to a well-prepared actual meat hamburger, so that might be why I had a different impression.  In fact, I was surprised by finding myself wondering whether I actually wanted a vegetarian burger to seem so much like a regular hamburger!  I'm used to them being pretty different.  Again, it's a bit odd: I found it by far the most like a regular hamburger of any vegetarian burger I've ever had, and yet I wasn't positive I liked it much more, maybe even any more, than the other vegetarian burgers I've had.

I think if the object is health, I'm not sure they're super healthy, really, but if the object is specifically not to eat meat, and you want a hamburger-like burger, I thought it was pretty good.
    mine was from a skillet as well. i mostly eat burgers without a bunn like i did with this one. bread, tomatoes, onions, ketchup, mustard might help it along.  the grass fed stuff i buy is also cheaper by almost half.  it was interesting how much it smoked in the pan
    fukahwee maine

• kl8ton
    Not trying to hi-jack the thread @fishlessman but I felt we only needed one thread for impostor burgers.   :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Grand Rapids MI
  • fishlessman
    edited September 2019
    kl8ton said:
    Not trying to hi-jack the thread @fishlessman but I felt we only needed one thread for impostor burgers.   :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

i cringe everytime i see lettuce on a burger.  i didnt see if the lettuce was used in the burger.  im going to have to start looking before a fake burger takes me down
    fukahwee maine

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    @fishlessman I applaud you for the effort. Can't say that I am willing to do the same. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,823
    kl8ton said:
    I'm not really a fast food person, but am curious how the Impossible Whopper tastes.  100% plant based.  Anyone try it?

100% plant based except they cook it on the same grill as the beef.
    NOLA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    @fishlessman Thanks for taking one for the forum.  I am too old to care about any perceived benefits of eating something that needs a meat based title to exist.  And I'm with you on lettuce-can't stand the stuff.  It's "hold the lettuce" every time.  Thus BLT's are BT's for me and that lifts the flavor profile.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kl8ton
    buzd504 said:
    kl8ton said:

100% plant based except they cook it on the same grill as the beef.
    I did notice that the vegetarians were taking issue with that.  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,352
    I will not be trying any but wish I had stock at the IPO
    If vegetarians are so happy why are they always trying to fake meat?
    Myron Mixon isn’t trying to make meat taste like veggies, just sayin..
    Jacksonville FL
  • I think they are targeting meat eaters 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,315
    kl8ton said:

Me and my wife tried them a couple weeks ago. We both thought they were ok. Nothing particularly objectionable (or remarkable). Had a decent chew. We hit Burger King maybe twice a year so no real loyalty to the traditional Whopper so I will probably have another one next time. My sister is a vegan but I haven't asked if she has tried one yet.

We've also had some Beyond Burgers and our feelings were much the same. Decent chew, seemed "meaty" but a hard core carnivore won't mistake one for a "real" burger (but I bet some folks would be fooled into thinking it is a "real" burger). I think that the intended crowd that would like to have, at least occasionally, a decent simulacrum of a beef burger will be thrilled. My sister really liked them.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    While I applaud people for wanting to find alternatives to beef because the whole methane gas environmental yada yada deal, I’m just not a fan of these fake meats.  They are not really a healthier alternative to the real thing so it’s not some wonder food, if I want to indulge on a burger I want a real damn burger!  

The people who want these fake meats because they are vegetarian on the other hand need to do some soul searching.  =)
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,983
    I have not tried it. Unless someone in my house absolutely has a fit to do so, I am not going to either. I have a great blend of short rib, and brisket point, which I will use to clog my arteries for the remainder of my life.

I had been curious as to what that non -burger would be in comparison to other veggie burgers, this thread provided that insight from some of the best chefs I know.

My veggies on a burger will be onions, pickels, tomato and lettuce (sorry @lousubcap), not the burger itself.

Thank you for posting this.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    lousubcap said:
    @fishlessman Thanks for taking one for the forum.  I am too old to care about any perceived benefits of eating something that needs a meat based title to exist.  And I'm with you on lettuce-can't stand the stuff.  It's "hold the lettuce" every time.  Thus BLT's are BT's for me and that lifts the flavor profile.  FWIW-
    my problem is i like it, but my neck swells up and breathing becomes difficult if i eat the smallest bit of it. gets worse and worse every year. dont trust the taco bell, it was bad enough that i hung out at the fire station the last time
    fukahwee maine

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    lousubcap said:
    my problem is i like it, but my neck swells up and breathing becomes difficult if i eat the smallest bit of it. gets worse and worse every year. dont trust the taco bell, it was bad enough that i hung out at the fire station the last time
    Do you carry an Epi-pen and/or have one in the shop?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    caliking said:
    lousubcap said:
    Do you carry an Epi-pen and/or have one in the shop?
    i dont.  im not sure the doctors even take it seriously, most ive ever gotten was to stop eating it.  i pretty much only eat out during work lunches, the firestation and paramedics are right next door to the shop. pretty sure in a few years im going to need a pen as it does get worse year to year. its one of those things when ordering your food that just isnt taken seriously, ill hear things like just pick it off. so far its just taking me down for a few hours, the breathing is new though
    fukahwee maine

• Yes my sister has that problem with mushrooms. She ate at a chain restaurant last time she had to go to the ER. She had eaten their spinach and rice casserole before with no problem. When she questioned them about it they brought her the box the casserole came in, "natural flavors" was the problem. They had fired most of their cooks and were just microwaving frozen product.
  • fishlessman
    dont really know, when this started in my 20's i dont think there was anything on it, even google had nothing on it up to just a few years back. in my 20's it was just nausia after eating a salad, by 30 it was on a hopper holding a bucket, couple years ago the neck swelling was starting, this last year added difficulty in breathing and it was probably from a piece smaller than a dime. nothing else does this to me, ive had multiple 100 plus bee bite days and yet iceberg or romaine takes me out for a few hours. i will ask the dr next time about lts, looks like they can test for that
    fukahwee maine

• way too many carbs for me to try. I stick to animal muscle. 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Mom turned vegetarian 30+ years ago. My brother grilled a beyond burger for mom in June. She thought it was OK but then she felt sick later. She wasn't sure what make her feel sick because there were a lot of different food and desserts available. 

I grilled her a beyond burger on the kamado in July. Same grate as the beef burgers but different spatula and plate. She said it tasted OK and then she got sick again.

She said that was the last Beyond Meat anything she will ever eat. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.