Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slaw Question

RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
To go along with the Pulled Pork alla JJ for tomorrow, I must make slaw. I not planning using a recipe, but here is my though and the question will follow.
Shredded Cabbage
Shredded Carrot
Shredded Onion
Apple
Raisins
Pecans
Marzetti’s Slaw Dressing[p]The question … how do I keep the apple from getting brown?[p]RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    RhumAndJerk,
    Put a little lemon juice on the apples before you put them in the slaw. Caraway (sp) seeds are good also.

• RhumAndJerk,[p]Short answer: lemon juice.[p]Long answer: Paraphrasing Harold McGee (author of "On Food and Cooking"), browning is caused by an enzyme known as polyphenoloxidase, which oxidizes phenolic compounds in the fruit and causes them to condense into brown or gray layers. Polyphenoloxidase is present in apples, bananas and many other fruits but not in citrus, melons or tomatoes. In intact tissue, the enzyme and the phenolic compounds are segregated, but when you cut into the tissue you release them and they come into contact. You can slow the enzyme down by chilling food below 40F. High temperatures will destroy the enzyme entirely, but will obviously alter the texture of the fruit. Chloride ions also inhibit the enzyme but dunking the fruit in salt water won't exactly help the flavor, either. Dunking the fruit into cold water will limit the enzymes access to oxygen and helps a little, too. Sulfur compounds combine with phenolic compounds and limit the browning, as well (sulfur compounds are often applied to dried fruit). But, according to McGee, the best method is to use lemon juice. The enzyme works very slowly in highly acidic conditions. Apparently, malic acid, which is found in apples and grapes works the best, but those fruits are not as concentrated a source of acid.[p]Sooooo, toss the apple with a bit of lemon juice (or water combined with lemon juice) and keep it cold. I would think the vinegar present in most slaw dressings would also help![p]Finally, I believe there is a powdered product that you can sprinkle on fruit to keep it from browning (I think it may be called something like "Fruit Fresh"). Probably contains sulfur . . .[p]MikeO
  • MikeO,[p] Well, a little more reseach has shown me that "Fruit Fresh" contains mostly ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), and this is what keeps the fruit from browning! So, if you happen to have any Vitamin C pills lying around, maybe you could crush one up and dissolve it in water . . .[p]MikeO
  • RhumAndJerk
    MikeO,
    Thanks. I might actually have fruit fresh. I guess that I do not really know how much to use of either Fruit Fresh or Fresh Lemon Juice.[p]Also, can you think of any other ingredients to add to compliment the flavor?[p]Thanks,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    MAC,
    Caraway seeds are an interesting thought[p]Thanks,
    R&J

• RhumAndJerk,[p] I would just toss the apple with a litle lemon juice. The Fruit Fresh should have directions on the bottle. You might try mixing some red cabbage in with the green. My favorite coleslaw recipe uses shredded granny smith apples along with shredded red cabbage as the base . . .[p]MikeO
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    RhumAndJerk, I had a really good solution, but the other guys muddled it all up for me. Their answers were too good.
    Back to my bun making..:-)
    C~W

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Or celery seed.[p]Cathy
  • RhumAndJerk
    MikeO,
    That sounds like what I was going for. I wanted Granny Smith and red cabbage, but I am not willing to pay the local robbery, I mean grocery store their outlandish produce prices. So I will stick with green cabbage and apples that I have. I think that they are Macintosh or Empire.[p]Time to crack a beer and put my butt on a smokin’ egg. (in that order)[p]I’m oooouuttt of earrrrrrrrrr,
    R&J[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    Char-Woody,
    Please, share anyway. I will check back in on the forum after I get the butt smoking and before I make the slaw.
    R&J[p]

• Char-Woody
    RhumAndJerk, Only thing I could think of was to leave the skin on..or ask my wiffy and she isn't home. I like that KFC "secret" recipe..no apple in it.
    My dumb answer for the day..:-)
    C~W[p]

• MikeO,
    Mike, I saw a chef on tv using a vitamin C capsule. He
    was using it in a pesto.. I guess a pesto turns a dark green Quickly so to keep it that bright green color they
    empty a vitamin C capsule and he says it will keep that
    perfect color for two weeks.. I'm going to try it with quacamole this weekend...[p]Dylan

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    RhumAndJerk, I like to add a bit of mustard to mine. It just gives it a really nice taste.

• RhumAndJerk
    At least one beer has served its purpose and I am working on the next. The Butt is smoking. [p]I guess that I better feed the tribe before they drive me nuts. The slaw will be made after at least one child is sleeping. The other two will probably help. I will let everyone know how slaw ends up.[p]Speaking of Tribe. Cleveland is on both the radio and the TV tonight. Hear we go … this should be an exciting Baseball season.[p]By the way, just how many BGE’s could you buy with $250 Million?[p]RhumAndJerk[p]
  • RhumAndJerk
    Char-Woody,
    Smile.
    That is not a dumb suggestion.
    I may look at some cookbooks for some final ideas, but everyone here has given me plenty to go on[p]R&J

• SloMo
    SloMo Posts: 21
    RhumAndJerk,
    500,000+/-[p]

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    RhumAndJerk,
    Didn't read through ALL of these so it might already be there. The easiest thing to do is use golden delicious apples. They don't brown. Ever. Other is just dip the cut apples in lemon juice. That's it![p]mShark

• RhumAndJerk
    SloMo,
    Maybe the better question is, how many BGE companies can you buy with $250 Million.[p]Ha!
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    Q.N.E. tyme,
    I like that idea. I may use it the next time that I make a the Thai Curry Spice Paste.
    Thanks,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Char-Woody
    MollyShark, now I just knew there was a humdinger of a apple cure out there for R&Jerk..Good gal!!
    C~W