Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Straight White Oak?

Options
Can I skip the lump and go with a straight white oak fuel source? Start a quick (small) fire in a bunch of chunks and then choke it back and let the wood do its thing?

Moved from upper left to Denver, CO | BGE LG & MMX + Kotaigrill [Hibachi]

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    edited September 2019
    Options
    No - unless you just want to use your BGE base as a fire pit with the dome wide open I suppose.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    acolle said:
    Can I skip the lump and go with a straight white oak fuel source? Start a quick (small) fire in a bunch of chunks and then choke it back and let the wood do its thing?

You my friend need a stick burner. Unfortunately straight wood won't work in the egg. It might work for searing but trying to control a certain temp would almost be impossible. 

If you have a bunch a split white oak you should look into playing with a stick burner. White oak is fantastic for smoking with. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,346
    Options
    You can get a straight  wood/oak fire going but you will not be close to managing/controlling the temperature as noted by @WeberWho unless you end up with a smoldering burn and then the incomplete combustion smoke that comes with it.   If you don't have a stick burner, then turn the white oak into chunks to augment with the BGE lump load.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • acolle
    acolle Posts: 133
    Options
    This is why I love you all... I asked a crazy question, and I got a clear/straight answer. @lousubcap, thank you!
    Moved from upper left to Denver, CO | BGE LG & MMX + Kotaigrill [Hibachi]
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I’d be careful with burning all wood in the egg. Wood fires can get crazy hot. I broke my tandoor a few years ago trying that. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.