Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Party food smoked treats with minimal finish work?

Options
KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
edited September 2019 in EggHead Forum
I have a big backyard Oktoberfest party every year and have always included some meat off the egg.  I do various things with pork shoulder and have also done brisket, wings and ribs.
When I do the pork, I prepare it the day ahead because I am usually too busy the day of the party to mess with pulling it and such.  While I have done wings and ribs as well, they do take some tending to make sure you are not burning them (wing flare ups) and the ribs require a rest and cut on the back end... maybe a sauce.
Can you thinking of anything that will smell good on the smoker, is not critical to come off at just the right time, and requires little finish prep other than putting them on a plate?
I was trying to think of something that will just smell good smoking over on the side, will interest those curious in a BGE, and I can pull off and serve easily.
It won't be the main course for the party, just appetizer type finger food.  Prep the day before is no problem.
This is a pretty big party and I won't have time to stand over the grill. I'm usually making drinks, shucking oysters, tending to a campfire and talking to guests in between all that.  So I do a lot of food prep ahead of time.
THANKS for any suggestions!  This may be a pipe dream, but figured I'd ask the eggsperts.
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    edited September 2019
    Options
    just light it and throw on some wood chunks

#no purchase necessary
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• BugFreak72
    Options
    What about ABTs? Can set prep early then cook as you go with little involvement. 
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Scallops and peeled, deveined shrimp on skewers.

Stuffed peppers

Seared peppers

Seared asparagus

Seared/roasted tomatoes

Lamb lollipops (Someone will need to keep an eye on them due to flareups.)

Portobello mushrooms

Potato skins

Simple and always a hit at get-togethers. 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    way lazy, smoked cream cheese, bad byrons butt rub works well

httpsusv-cdnnet5017260uploadseditorexfo322snpuvjsjpg

or smoke some onions which smells good and add it to this dip, make the dip ahead of time

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Pork Belly or Pork butt burnt ends.  Day of you just need to reheat in sauce.  Put toothpicks next to the tray and people can grab quickly and go.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• fishlessman
    Options
    second on the pork belly burnt ends, easy, not a hard or time consuming cook, most havent even heard of them.
    fukahwee maine

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Photo Egg beat me to it, but going indirect with chicken wings makes them an easy and nearly impossible cook to screw up.
    Stillwater, MN
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    Pig Shots
    Pork Belly Bites
    Moink Balls
    Stuffed Jalapenos

All items that can be prepped days in advance, smoked right before or during with minimal involvement for maximum return.

Never done this one - but Spiessbraten done raised direct if you don't have a rotisserie might really wow the crowd given the Oktoberfest theme: https://girlscangrill.com/recipe/spiessbraten/

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Anything I would offer is covered above but I find the belly burnt ends take some effort til ready to apply the sauce.  If looking for a winning recipe, here you go: Malcom reed's belly burnt ends.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Another vote for pig shots.

fish's smoked cream  cheese is also pretty good .

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Wings cooked raised indirect are just about the easiest minimal or no flip cook I can think of. I prefer raise direct but for this would have no problem going indirect for less hassle. Chicken legs would also fit the bill.
    Hmmm, that isn't bad.  I can put batches on all night as the egg doesn't hold a huge quantity, and if I double tier it then I'm back to dealing with shuffling them around.

What temp for indirect wings?  350 still?

way lazy, smoked cream cheese, bad byrons butt rub works well

httpsusv-cdnnet5017260uploadseditorexfo322snpuvjsjpg

or smoke some onions which smells good and add it to this dip, make the dip ahead of time

Perfect! I haven't made this yet but see it pop up here a good bit.
    Pig Shots
    Pork Belly Bites
    Moink Balls
    Stuffed Jalapenos

All items that can be prepped days in advance, smoked right before or during with minimal involvement for maximum return.

Never done this one - but Spiessbraten done raised direct if you don't have a rotisserie might really wow the crowd given the Oktoberfest theme: https://girlscangrill.com/recipe/spiessbraten/

Spiessbraten! That looks good.  Will have to check that out.  Maybe do a dry run.  And source some beachwood....
    LBGE/Maryland
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Wings cooked raised indirect are just about the easiest minimal or no flip cook I can think of. I prefer raise direct but for this would have no problem going indirect for less hassle. Chicken legs would also fit the bill.
    Hmmm, that isn't bad.  I can put batches on all night as the egg doesn't hold a huge quantity, and if I double tier it then I'm back to dealing with shuffling them around.

What temp for indirect wings?  350 still?

can you set up for two levels, indirect, like with an adjustable rig? if so you could have wings going, put a new batch on the lower level, take the top level off to eat, rotate and replenish as needed.  anywhere 300-325 indirect will give you plenty of window. if you want to stick with the beer theme you could use dizzy pig IPA rub.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    If it’s an Oktoberfest party, I’d recommend some nice German sausages. Can cut them up and serve with a nice mustard, pretzels, maybe a beer cheese dip. 
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Anything I would offer is covered above but I find the belly burnt ends take some effort til ready to apply the sauce.  If looking for a winning recipe, here you go: Malcom reed's belly burnt ends.

Great idea. That's always a winner. He needs to rename the recipe to "Malcom Reed's Disappearing Pork Belly Burnt Ends". 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    All good ideas above.
    Another is sgh’s ultimate appetizer.  Can mix up the day before in 30 mins easy and cook it like that, or stuff something with it.  Only takes about 45 mins if cooked as a loaf in a pan and is always a winner. Not to mention it can take heavy smoke and is very forgiving with respect to done temp.  Then cut in squares with toothpicks. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    If it’s an Oktoberfest party, I’d recommend some nice German sausages. Can cut them up and serve with a nice mustard, pretzels, maybe a beer cheese dip. 
    Ahh yes! I do that the night before and have them in a crock pot.

Question though... I usually smoke them.  They cook like they normally would but also take on a nice flavor. I've found the skins seem to toughen up a bit when I smoke them.  Doesn't happen to me when I grill them.  ?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    @KiterTodd tbh I haven’t noticed the skin to be too tough on mine through straight smoking. Could always toss them in a beer bath then sear. Still smells great and you can get that beer flavor for an Oktoberfest occasion. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Skip the appetizers and such and bake chocolate chip cookies. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Can I smoke them?  :)

LBGE/Maryland
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Can I smoke them?  :)

We do cookies, cinnamon rolls and dump cakes at Eggfests all the time.
    They are always a big hit and something diferent.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    Options
    go all out with a smoked chocolate cake with bourbon infused frosting ;)
    fukahwee maine

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    That sounds right to me.  I looked up a beer cheese dip recipe; https://www.craftbeering.com/obatzda-german-beer-cheese-dip/
    Also Bratwurst, Currywurst, German Potato Salad, Sauerkraut, and Black Forest Cake.  
    Currywurst; https://www.ekitchen.de/kuechengeraete/herd/rezepte/currywurst-sauce-83809.html
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009