Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chewy chicken wings

Options
Tbonez3858
Tbonez3858 Posts: 102
edited September 2019 in EggHead Forum
I grilled some wings (375/direct/1 hour). The taste and flavor was off the charts good. The meat (not skin) drums were super chewy, however. I threw them on frozen so I'm wondering if that's the problem? Anyone had chewy wings...Will go with fresh and brine next time.

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Chewy as in the meat or the skin?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Tbonez3858
    Options
    Chewy as in the meat or the skin?
    It was the meat. The skin was crispy and nice...
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    I need to practice comprehending what I read.  Lol.  

Did you temp the meat?    Chewy chicken generally means under done to me.   

analyze adapt overcome

• Tbonez3858
    Options
    I did not temp but they were blazing hot and at 375 direct for an hour it's hard to believe they wouldn't have been cooked..
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    ... I threw them on frozen ... 375 direct for an hour it's hard to believe they wouldn't have been cooked..
    I'm no expert, have only done wings a handful of times, but if they went on frozen, it seems like an hour might not have been anywhere near enough.  I usually do indirect, but at a higher temp, and 40 min to an hour, and they're going on NOT frozen!
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 699
    Options
    It would also allow the skin to get crisp without cooking the meat how you would like. 
  • Mattman3969
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I did not temp but they were blazing hot and at 375 direct for an hour it's hard to believe they wouldn't have been cooked..
    The last wings I cooked were indirect raised up high in the dome @400-425.  Took an hour before I was happy with them.  They were not frozen.   

I bet they were up to safe temp of 155-160 but most of the time wings go a lot higher than that just like thighs.  The higher the temp(to a point) on the dark meat the more desirable the texture.  I run dark meat up to 180-190 with no issue.  

analyze adapt overcome

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    Chewy chicken generally means under done to me.   
    That is exactly what it means. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    also, you're probably gonna die.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,824
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    also, you're probably gonna die.
    We're all going die!
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser