Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Bananas

Options
Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
From our plantation.  On the plant three days ago.  Green this morning.  Starting to yellow this morning, not so good looking tomorrow (although great for days).  Bananas, wait for it, wait for it, too late.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I’ve had bananas growing in my back yard for about 6 years now and haven’t had a single one yet. Every time they flower something disastrous takes them down. I’m about to rip me up if I get nothing this year.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    yzzi said:
    I’ve had bananas growing in my back yard for about 6 years now and haven’t had a single one yet. Every time they flower something disastrous takes them down. I’m about to rip me up if I get nothing this year.
    I have dozens of pods a year.  We only harvest a small percentage of them.  I thought they were an unstoppable plant, I cannot explain why yours don't produce.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I have had luck over the years that when we buy green bananas from the store I just put them in a sealed brown paper grocery sack. I don't know if that works for your home grown ones, but perhaps worth the try.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • rifrench
    Options
    I remember brown paper grocery bags, have even bagged groceries in 'em, but I haven't seen one in years. Where would one find them now? 
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    rifrench said:
    I remember brown paper grocery bags, have even bagged groceries in 'em, but I haven't seen one in years. Where would one find them now? 
    Whole Foods uses them. So does the local health food store here but it isn't a chain.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • flyer_egger
    Options
    I'm so old now (65) I don't buy green bananas any more   lol
    NEPA, Med egg,
  • flyer_egger
    Options
    I know the last post was corny but it fits me   lol
    NEPA, Med egg,
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    yzzi said:
    Can't you use the leaves for a bunch of Raichlen/Bayless recipes?  
    And where do you guys live?  I didn't think bananas even grew in the US...

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    They grow here. They have to stay unfrozen for over  year to actually fruit. That means that they have to be protected from freezing. Most people just grow them for landscape purposes and chop them down in late fall. They then regrow in the spring. If I recall right there are some six houses away.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    rifrench said:
    Just ask the bag person for paper
    South of Columbus, Ohio.