Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

barbecue community is gonna have a meltdown.

Options
Love it or hate it we're going to hear about it from everybody.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
Greenville Tx

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Believe it or not, this isn't even the first pellet fed kamado to hit the market. There was a company making one a few years ago. I don't think it really got any traction in the marketplace - not sure they still even make them.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Believe it or not, this isn't even the first pellet fed kamado to hit the market. There was a company making one a few years ago. I don't think it really got any traction in the marketplace - not sure they still even make them.
    You’re referencing the Black Olive. http://blackolivegrill.com/
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I think the Black Olive grill was just a little to early and isn’t a well known brand.  I actually think KJ will do well with it depending on $$$ 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Expanding the product range within the same marketplace and with minimum development cost makes sense.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I believe Weber is also getting into the pellet game. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    To me this just indicates how much market share they think they’re losing to the pellet grills, more than anything else.  I’d be astonished if they can price this thing competitively with some of the Traegers, but we’ll see.

I’ve never smoked with a pellet grill, but isn’t the basic knock against them around here that they’re much more sensitive to external temps and subject to larger temp variations?  And maybe also that you don’t actually get all that great a smoke flavor from them? 

At least on the first point, a kamado that runs on pellets would probably do better with temperature fluctuations.  But will that be enough to upsell buyers?  I kind of doubt it.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited September 2019
    Options
    A plug in kamado?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I believe Weber is also getting into the pellet game. 
    That would be hilarious on a couple of levels.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    A plug in kamado?

That’s basically what you have with a temp controller setup. The egg is a plug-in cooker with my FB200 in play. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    caliking said:
    A plug in kamado?

That’s basically what you have with a temp controller setup. The egg is a plug-in cooker with my FB200 in play. 
    Call me old school, but my egg doesn’t need a temp controller even for overnight cooks. I don’t get temp fluctuations like apparently some folks do. I tend to lean to the Mallmann side of things anyways. Pellet cookers just feel like a lazy millennial invention. I guess I just got one of the good eggs. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    I assume you don’t have a SV @TEXASBGE2018. Hard to top
    that one on the scale of laziness. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I assume you don’t have a SV @TEXASBGE2018. Hard to top
    that one on the scale of laziness. 
    I do not. I thought about one for about 10seconds. I’m not a Luddite, but some things just seem useless. A plug in grill is one of them.

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Y'all can make fun of pellet cookers all you want. But stay away from my sous vide."steak cooking apparatus".🙂

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,516
    Options
    Reminds me of Black Olive, hopefully KJ addressed the 3 major issues mentioned in Amazing Ribs' review:
    1) no thermostatic temp control
    2) grease dripping into firepot
    3) ash cloud caused by fan blowing from below in a cylinder shaped cooker
    https://amazingribs.com/grill-smoker-egg-or-kamado-style-combination-grill-smoker/black-olive-pellet-kamado-grill-review
    canuckland
  • texaswig
    Options
    @Canugghead have you noticed how tall the new Joe's are?Or deep I should say. They would probably help out with a lot of those problems.

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,516
    Options
    texaswig said:
    @Canugghead have you noticed how tall the new Joe's are?Or deep I should say. They would probably help out with a lot of those problems.
    I'm sure KJ did their homework and are aware of BO's shortcomings.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    caliking said:
    A plug in kamado?

Call me old school, but my egg doesn’t need a temp controller even for overnight cooks. I don’t get temp fluctuations like apparently some folks do. I tend to lean to the Mallmann side of things anyways. Pellet cookers just feel like a lazy millennial invention. I guess I just got one of the good eggs. 

Didn't mean to insinuate that you had or use a temp controller. Was just illustrating the point that the idea of a plug-in kamado has sort of been around for quite some time. As with so many things, temp controllers are for those who have the $$ and inclination to buy one.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    For better or worse, KJ is killing the innovation game right now.  Solid accessory line up, various models to meet different needs, the gasket, the hinge, etc. 

this may flop (I doubt it, if priced correctly) but I applaud them for innovating 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    A plug in kamado?

Didn't mean to insinuate that you had or use a temp controller. Was just illustrating the point that the idea of a plug-in kamado has sort of been around for quite some time. As with so many things, temp controllers are for those who have the $$ and inclination to buy one.
    Oh I didn’t take it personally. I just think there are some things that technology has been great for when it comes to cooking. I just don’t feel a grill I have to plug in to make it work is one of them.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    But will it boil water?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • texaswig
    Options
    @stlcharcoal I'm with you man. When I seen that latest one come out. I was like man. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    A plug in kamado?

Perhaps just as funny as my plug-in stick burner (Karubecue).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    A plug in kamado?

Perhaps just as funny as my plug-in stick burner (Karubecue).
    Ya pretty much.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    For better or worse, KJ is killing the innovation game right now.  Solid accessory line up, various models to meet different needs, the gasket, the hinge, etc. 

this may flop (I doubt it, if priced correctly) but I applaud them for innovating 
    Agreed that they’re pushing the limits and make a good product. That being said, their flagship is a Big Green Egg knockoff and this pellet grill is a Black Olive knockoff. 

Maybe it’s like they say in music: “Good musicians write. Great musicians steal.”
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    johnnyp said:

Agreed that they’re pushing the limits and make a good product. That being said, their flagship is a Big Green Egg knockoff and this pellet grill is a Black Olive knockoff. 

Maybe it’s like they say in music: “Good musicians write. Great musicians steal.”
    ....and BGE was direct a knock off of the Hibachi Pot or Imperial Kamado.  The hinges, lift handle, cap, nest, and more were nearly identical.  Since then they've made quite a few changes/improvements.

The KJ Pellet is a copy of the concept not the unit itself.  The Black Olive isn't very popular either, so it's not like they are "jumping on the bandwagon."

Now there are other accessories on the KJ that you could also call "knock offs", but each one they've tinkered with--again, concept and function similar, but a new design.  Unlike BGE, that flat ripped off the patented PSWoo (yet make in in China and charge MORE money for it.) 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options

.texaswig said:
    The new GenIII's are awesome......all the people I sold BGE's to a few years ago come in to my shop like playing with them.  I still have green ones on my deck, but if I was just starting out, I'd go red

They are about 4" taller than the Gen I & II's.  But remember, the Big Joe I/II was already considerably taller than the XL BGE......so now it's about 10" taller.  That's a hell of a lot more space.   Depending on how you stack/rack, you easily double, and possibly TRIPLE the amount of meat you can fit on there.  I am very impressed with them so far.

......and from a DEALER standpoint, the warranty support and dealer support is night and day from what I had to deal from BGE and their distributor.  Zero hassle, no waiting on approvals--they treat their dealers like customers rather than franchisees.  KJ for the win.
    This ^^^^

• GrateEggspectations
    Options

.texaswig said:
    The new GenIII's are awesome......all the people I sold BGE's to a few years ago come in to my shop like playing with them.  I still have green ones on my deck, but if I was just starting out, I'd go red

They are about 4" taller than the Gen I & II's.  But remember, the Big Joe I/II was already considerably taller than the XL BGE......so now it's about 10" taller.  That's a hell of a lot more space.   Depending on how you stack/rack, you easily double, and possibly TRIPLE the amount of meat you can fit on there.  I am very impressed with them so far.

......and from a DEALER standpoint, the warranty support and dealer support is night and day from what I had to deal from BGE and their distributor.  Zero hassle, no waiting on approvals--they treat their dealers like customers rather than franchisees.  KJ for the win.
    This ^^^^

Great setup.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    @unoriginalusername - you should update your signature line... B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EagleIII
    Options
    @unoriginalusername  Nice....VERY, VERY nice setup!