Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Last Costco Prime Brisket and a Deal

Options
Put on my last Costco Prime Brisket out of the freezer this morning :s:o:s and they have no idea when they will be getting them back in again.  They haven't had them for the last couple of months. 

This one has most of the flat removed which I like to braise.

Yesterday I stocked up on Tri Tip at Von's, Choice untrimmed @ $1.99 by the bag, two day only sale normally $4.99 and up.  I filled the void in the freezer where the briskets were.
LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    My last Costco full packer was good, but not great. I paid for a 17 pounder, and trimmed almost 5 pounds of mostly hard fat, with zero excessive trimming.

We had dinner with friends and it was just not what I was accustomed to turning out, having used briskets from Costco previously.

I have noticed the rating of prime on some of their briskets as prime to be equal to choice from Restaurant Depot a few times. This last one was closer to choice.

Made some burritos that were pretty good, and the rest will be used for chili.

I think I will use Costco full packers, in the future for chili and burnt ends, and might use the point for Sammie’s and maybe ground beef.

I will stay with SRF, black grade, going forward for dinners with friends and family. I have 3 or 4 in the freezer ready for the next cook.

Good luck on getting more briskets in. I hope they will be higher quality.

We went through that here in Louisville, and I think when they came back, they seem to have been of much lower quality.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    @YukonRon after tonight's meal I can't disagree with you, I think the rest of it will go to chili like you said.  It was tender like brisket should be, but wife said she'd prefer I just do Tri Tip instead and I guess I can't argue that.  Especially for just the two of us.  Anyway here's the results.

• YukonRon
    Options
    That looks miles ahead of my last Costco brisket.

Usually I inject with a mixture of beef broth, garlic juice and onion juice which does a couple of things for flavor and moisture retention.

It was of no help, and it took forever to pass the toothpick test.

I did mine at 225⁰F smoked with pecan. A little over 12 pounds, took almost 18 hours, it had two different stalls. One at 150⁰F, then again at 180⁰F. I pulled at 198⁰F internal.

As @lousubcap has told me before, sometimes the friggin' cow wins. Just have audibles to go to in those situations: Chili.

Nothing beats brisket chili, IMO. I am going to have a lot of chili it seems.🤪

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    @YukonRon nothing wrong with having a bit too much chili around!  Surprised to hear that it passed the toothpick test at <200, I’ve never had a Costco brisket release that early!
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @YukonRon nothing wrong with having a bit too much chili around!  Surprised to hear that it passed the toothpick test at <200, I’ve never had a Costco brisket release that early!
    I have had them release in the low 190⁰s F near as often as the 200⁰ F+. Kind of all over the place. Allowing it to rest in a BPTC for a couple hours does not hurt either.

Usually the injections help tenderize it sooner, as well as, saves the flavor, without it becoming remotely similar to pot roast, as  feared by some.

As I had alluded to previously, it seemed the "prime" packers from before they ran out, were of much higher quality, with some impressive appearances which seemed to provide excellent results.

After the Costco refridgerated bins went empty for a couple months, and the new supply came in, I have found "choice" packers at Restaurant Depot to be equal or better in initial appearance and quality.

This has been mainly in the last year or so here in Louisville.

They are now an emergency use or ground beef/chili/burnt end option only.

SRF Black grade is my "go to" now. They seem to be, for me anyway, more idiot proof.....consistently.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    @YukonRon.  That one was about 8+ lb.  I took off most of the flat.  It went in for 8 hrs. @ 250-270 then FTC for 2 hrs.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    8 hours is about in the ballpark of where I think it should land...the longer cooks, like my last to get toothpick tender is detrimental to the final product, or at least it has been for me the few times mine have gone seemingly too long.

It looked great, congratulations on a very fun cook.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • TexasisBestest
    Options
    I smoke costco nearly exclusively. Its available every day here in Texas. Havent had any issues with them ever. They do Wagyu occasionally as well. It helps to take time and select one's with less hard fat, etc. Selection is key as long as you have choices. One part of Texas I love the most, plenty access to meat!!!! 

Here was my latest... 
    Dallas Texas.
    2 x XLBGE 1 x LBGE.
    Tech:  EggGenius and Thermoworks Smoke w Gateway
    Lump: Rockwood/Fogo
    Wood: Cherry, Apple, PostOak, Pecan
    Meat: Costco, Deep Cuts
    Rubs: Meat Church, HardcoreCarnivore, John Henry's
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Im interested in hearing about your braising method for the flat.
    Gittin' there...
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Im interested in hearing about your braising method for the flat.
    Are you saying that you would like to read about a braising method for brisket....and how one might do it? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Yeah.
    Gittin' there...
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    I have a mini pellet smoker that won't fit a large packer without trimming the flat off a few inches. Last time i cooked the trimmed piece in a slow cooker.
    Gittin' there...
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have a mini pellet smoker that won't fit a large packer without trimming the flat off a few inches. Last time i cooked the trimmed piece in a slow cooker.
    Sorry that was a lame joke about a thread that has been around for about  7 years now:
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138233/brisket-how-i-do-it

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.