Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump youtube test

Options
Hans61
Hans61 Posts: 3,901
https://youtu.be/XsxSckW7_wY

I think this might have the potential to trigger some people. I was surprised by the results. Either way my preference didn’t win but I’ll continue to stick with it for the neutral smoke.
“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
Coach Finstock Teen Wolf

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The parameters for what constitutes quality lump charcoal are not represented in this backyard test. Makes for good Youtube though. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I emailed that guy and offered to explain why all of those did what they did......he declined. 

Of course ours burned out first, it was ripping hot before all the others and had an unrestricted amount of oxygen.  The slow burners smoked like crazy as they burned through all the moisture in them, then finally got to the carbon.  
    Pretty misleading, is he a shill for another company?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Hans61 said:

Pretty misleading, is he a shill for another company?
    Nah, it's just a briquette thing.  There's a website that does that test with briquettes.  It's not that bad of a test for those, since they have to burn from the outside in.  It's a bad test for lump though, especially when start up time is being taken into total time.  So whoever's charcoal starts up the fastest, loses.

With either lump or briquettes, it's not a good test because the oxygen is not being control (i.e. a pit temp set.)  Put it in the grill close the lid and see how long it burns at a set temp once it hits that temp......that will give a true representation of the BTU/#.

Here's a really long guest blog post I did for Cort at Pizza-Porta:  https://www.pizza-porta.com/blog/2019/8/18/guest-blog-charcoal-rockwood-charcoal   Lots of info about why lump does what it does.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Once @stlcharcoal got the mail order 3 pack sorted out I've had little reason to think about other charcoal. Thanks for a great product!
    Mountain View, CA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I cook with nothing else since I was turned on to Rockwood.

Do not even try to sell me. Waste of your time and mine.

Rockwood.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    thought I might see boobs here.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    I'm a Grove guy, why because its, or at least once was, local to me, and I know the former owners of the company.  Its easy to get here and not too expensive, I can get 20lbs for $13.99 if I plan ahead.  Someday I will try Rockwood, because I feel that @stlcharcoal is a straight-shooter and seems like a darn nice guy so I'd love to send him some business. 
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    lwrehm said:
    I'm a Grove guy, why because its, or at least once was, local to me, and I know the former owners of the company.  Its easy to get here and not too expensive, I can get 20lbs for $13.99 if I plan ahead.  Someday I will try Rockwood, because I feel that @stlcharcoal is a straight-shooter and seems like a darn nice guy so I'd love to send him some business. 
    You'll like his product! Being that I can get Rockwood at my local Ace Hardware and can typically use coupons, it's my go-to. @stlcharcoal stands behind his product and supports the egghead community. Count me in!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Most of these reviews are conducted by folks with little knowledge about how to scientifically test how things burn. Many online reviews are written by freelancers lifting info from other reviews with little to no experience with the actual product.

Here's a review I did some years ago, trying to be as objective as I could. I tried to account for the variables that I could. But, at the end of it all, I'm just a guy messing around in my backyard. 

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1160392/review-wicked-good-vs-rockwood-long-post-with-lotsa-pics-so-grab-a-beverage

Many variables impact how charcoal burns, the heat produced , etc. which these folks usually do a poor job of accounting for. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.