Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let's say you were getting a second LBGE for free... would you keep it?

Asking for a friend...
Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    I would keep it but I might keep it 95 miles away at my parents house. That beats cooking the Thanksgiving Turkey at mine(past 3 years)and trying to get it still warm to their house. Since I have to drive them to most of their medical appointments(85 and 89) I am spending more and more time there.
  • WildmanWilson
    WildmanWilson Posts: 482
    edited August 2019
    Just so happens I had a large egg for years and this year I won an XL. I sold the large because I just don’t see me using both often enough to keep both. I have a Weber gasser and an old refrigerator I made into a smoker so I have enough to cover about anything. 
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    i would keep it.  i have 2 larges and really like it if you are doing a get together or something.  i dont use both every week but when i need it i have it.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    No send it to me please!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Do you own any other grills/smokers beside your egg? How often do you use your current egg? How many people are you regularly cooking for? Do you do lots of hosting? Have the room for a second egg? Something an Adjustable Rig couldn't fix on your current egg? Sell it/trade it for something else? (I traded my XL, 2nd small, and The Good One Open Range smoker for a stick burner) Maybe you're looking for a Blackstone, pizza oven, etc.

All kinds of different ways of looking at it. Whatever best suits your situation. I think you'll be the only one who can truly answer your question.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Is this a rhetorical question?

Yeah, I'd keep it. Not sure if I'd keep it at home (have a large and mini already) or take it to the ranch. Probably take it to the ranch.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I can’t think of a single reason not to take it. I bet that guy that lost his dome the other day wishes someone would have given him a spare egg for free. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Yes I would.  All your gear would work in both eggs. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Yeah, I'd probably keep it.

I've had a Large for several years, and came across an older XL with table for $350 on Craigslist a couple summers ago.  I told my girlfriend that I'd use them both for a while, and then sell the one I used least.

Two years later, they're both still on the patio.  

If the non-warrantied XL suddenly shattered, would I run out to buy a new one for full retail?  Probably not; but the addition of a second Egg makes cooking much easier if you usually cook multiple things at different temperatures.  
    Indianapolis, IN
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    vb4677 said:
    Asking for a friend...
    the second egg is costly, you will need to purchase a camp to go with it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking said:
    Is the Pope Catholic??
    Why yes I think he is!!

And bears shart in the woods  :)

I hope the rest of my day is this easy - absolutely I would keep it. I made a second egg from warranty parts that I use for cold smoking stuff.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    caliking said:
    Is the Pope Catholic??
    Does a fish fart bubbles?
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Short answer - yes. Long answer - still yes.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Yes.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Does a one Legged duck swim in a circle?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Why is this even a question?  Seriously.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I’d probably give it to my brother or son.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Yes.  Of course.  Happened to me once too:

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1206739/free-large-egg

One of my three kids will eventually take this egg with them when they leave.  I am the caretaker of their 3 larges until they leave home.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I have two larges. When my kid grows up and gets his own place, I'll buy him a large or two of his own as a housewarming gift. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• having two is great as you can use the same accessories on both 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Is anything really free?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Keep it? Not a chance. I already have a LBGE, two Webers and an Akorn Jr. I don't recall ever lighting two at the same time. And I rarely use the Webers. My sons have zero interest in grilling or a place to put an egg, so giving it to them is not an option. Likewise, my brother wants nothing to do with charcoal. If it was a Mini, I'd keep it. Otherwise, I would sell the new one in a heartbeat.  

Never understood the egg "collector" mentality. @Florida Grillin Girl has 6! If I recall correctly, Little Steven had NINE!! I don't get it.

You know how much you cook and therefore, how many eggs you need.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Nope, would pass it own to my son or daughter. 
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Keep it? Not a chance. I already have a LBGE, two Webers and an Akorn Jr. I don't recall ever lighting two at the same time. And I rarely use the Webers. My sons have zero interest in grilling or a place to put an egg, so giving it to them is not an option. Likewise, my brother wants nothing to do with charcoal. If it was a Mini, I'd keep it. Otherwise, I would sell the new one in a heartbeat.  

Never understood the egg "collector" mentality. @Florida Grillin Girl has 6! If I recall correctly, Little Steven had NINE!! I don't get it.

believe it or not, some people have friends and host large get together type events. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

believe it or not, some people have friends and host large get together type events. 
    Yeah, I'm sure. Been to and hosted plenty of such gatherings. With one grill. Often a gasser. But thanks for your smart a$$ comment.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Keep it? Not a chance. I already have a LBGE, two Webers and an Akorn Jr. I don't recall ever lighting two at the same time. And I rarely use the Webers. My sons have zero interest in grilling or a place to put an egg, so giving it to them is not an option. Likewise, my brother wants nothing to do with charcoal. If it was a Mini, I'd keep it. Otherwise, I would sell the new one in a heartbeat.  

I think three or four is about the right number for a household or cottage lol 

• Keep it? Not a chance. I already have a LBGE, two Webers and an Akorn Jr. I don't recall ever lighting two at the same time. And I rarely use the Webers. My sons have zero interest in grilling or a place to put an egg, so giving it to them is not an option. Likewise, my brother wants nothing to do with charcoal. If it was a Mini, I'd keep it. Otherwise, I would sell the new one in a heartbeat.  

Part of the collection. Eggs are like underwear,  you typically only wear one at a time.  But it sure is nice having more than one. :)
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Of course, I'd keep it.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95