Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stank gamey

Options
I bought some beef ribs from a local butcher. Talk about Stank. Even after coming home my car smelled like I gut a couple of elephants and left them in the car two weeks. Am I used to the grocery store additives? Was this because the meat was killed that day?
Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium 

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Whether or not they were actually spoiled, I think the smell that you describe would be more than enough to turn me off of eating them. How can you enjoy them with that in mind?

Did you mention it to the butcher and if so, what was the response?
  • RalphieBoy
    RalphieBoy Posts: 131
    Options
    Heeheehee it was. I pitched the ribs. I might be a grocery store puss. A buddy of mine that has a couple of eggs said he thought the meat was killed and processed same day. He said did it have a gamey smell? STANK. I said the cow butchered had to been fed a skunk, two roadkill possums and a sore throat before I got there.
  • dgordon2nc
    dgordon2nc Posts: 100
    Options
    Was it grass fed by any chance?
  • RalphieBoy
    Options
    I don’t know on the grass fed. Big difference?
  • dgordon2nc
    Options
    Sometimes. I bought ground beef one time and it smelled horrific. The butcher told me that grass fed can sometimes smell off. It was so bad that I’m not sure I’ll ever buy grass fed again — even though other times it was ok before 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    And not a cryovac type smell...probably wasn't cryovac anyway since " fresh"?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RalphieBoy
    Options
    The butcher shop is really busy. I stood in line to pick up the beef ribs. They have a great business with great referrals. I went there by a friend of a friend. When you walk in it’s a huge stank. My last trip. Thanks for the replies. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Sometimes. I bought ground beef one time and it smelled horrific. The butcher told me that grass fed can sometimes smell off. It was so bad that I’m not sure I’ll ever buy grass fed again — even though other times it was ok before 
    @dgordon2nc  This is new to me.  We grass feed our beef all the way to the end.  No grain finish.  While it does smell different, it is not a “bad different” than other beef. With that being said, if the grass has a proper mix of  wild plants in it: cabbage, carrots, true grasses etc... the fat typically has yellow hue to it depending on season and it can smell a bit grassy, but never “bad”. 

Example:  here is the Fred flintstone cut hanging. Look how yellow the fat is, and what did it smell like?  Like any other beef.

Check out these tomahawk ribeyes we cut.  

If the meat stinks - you should be skeptical about it. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • dgordon2nc
    Options
    @Sea2Ski thanks for the info!  I was surprised too as I had bought it before from the same place and while it was different it was not too bad. This last time when I took back and the butcher told me it smelled ok and was because it was grass was a bit of a surprise. Maybe he just didn’t know what he was talking about :)
  • RalphieBoy
    Options
    How does the grass fed taste?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i buy beef bones for the dog and for broth weekly. the cut prime rib bones, neck bones, and shank marrow bones all stink to me. its just par for the course
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it