Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Egg Runs Hot

ScurvyDawg
ScurvyDawg Posts: 4
edited November -1 in Using the Egg
So I am trying to cook some ribs on my egg low and slow as they say. I find I am unable to get my egg below 300 degrees. The recipies I have seen say 220 degrees. What can I do to allow my BGE to cool down and stay at 220 for 4 to 6 hours? Mine does not want to go below 300???

Comments

• OK so I placed the indirect heating unit in the BGE and now I am 225 ready to go. I saw this at http://www.wessb.com/ thanks for the wealth of info over there.
  • The trick to low temps is to catch it before it gets over the temp. After your coals get going keep an eye on it and shut your wheel and damper down so you slow coast into your temp you want. It will continue to raise in temperature by about 25 derees after you shut it down. B) I just smoked a brisket at about 200 degrees. That heat diverter will lower your temp in the egg also but will consume more charcoal as you have to run with more air for the same temp as without.
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Definitely start closing down your damper early, at about 150 and let it slowely come up to the temp you want.

It takes much longer to cool off a hot egg than it does to raise the temp.

For a steady temp of 225 I usually have my lower damper open only to about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch (tiny crack) and the upper lid closed with the 'petals' of the daisy wheel half closed.

To change the temp it only take tiny adjustments to the bottom damper and then wait 15 or 20 minutes to watch for any change on the guage.