Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charleston, Hilton Head, Savannah recommendations

Options
Mama Bird and I are headed down Charleston, Hilton Head And Savannah for a week.  Any recommendations for things to do, places to eat, etc.
From the shores of Lake Michigan.  Grand Haven.
Unsalted and Shark Free
XL.  Woo Adjustable Rig Combo.  Flame Boss 300.

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,979
    Options
    Rodney Scott’s joint in Charleston.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    Tons of great food in Charleston and mount pleasant.  Rodney Scott’s for pulled pork and Lewis for brisket. Also heard swig and swine was good but haven’t been. Much better food down that way than all the feed the masses places in Myrtle beach. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Just went to Chucktown. Rodney Scott’s and Lewis’ place are both awesome. The ribs at Rodneys were amazing and Lewis’ brisket is definitely on point. Steer cleer of Peninsula Grill and Cru Cafe. 
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    Not necessarily a hardcore bbq joint but we also like Paige’s okra grill in mount pleasant. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    there's no 'must eat' BBQ on hilton head imho.  my favorite place for a nice, quiet, adult meal is CQs, which is in sea pines.  

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Lewis’s place is on my hit
    list next time I’m in town. For HH you’ve got to go to the salty dog. We love to walk/ drink river st in Savannah, Moon River is good. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    5 Church for something other than Q in Charleston 
    Jacksonville FL
  • dgordon2nc
    dgordon2nc Posts: 100
    Options
    A carriage ride in downtown Charleston is great. For restaurants, I’d recommend magnolia’s, snob and cru cafe. Palmetto brewery is cool too!  Table and tavern on shem creek is a cool place outside of downtown. 
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    Downtown Beaufort, SC is a really nice little town on the bay.  Several good restaurants. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Google Ed Macy for a personal tour in Charleston.  My wife and I have done his ghost tour and we did a history tour with him last time we went with our daughter.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Not much to offer Hilton Head wise, unless you're looking to lose weight in your back pocket.
    Hyman's in Charleston has good seafood, typically a bit of a wait to get in.
    The Crab Shack near Tybee Island is also worth your time.  Also look for roadside Q around Savannah.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Lewis’s and Rodney Scott’s are good though they are both relatively new comers to our restaurant scene.  If you want a more local feel for all things smoked and grilled, stop by one of the Home Team BBQ locations (get the brisket sliders and smoked wings- and ask for the Alabama sauce- its the only sauce they don’t leave out on the table).  If you are looking for amazing food that is not necessarily BGE type food and not really touristy- take a look at Renzo’s, Basil’s, and 167 Raw.  I also love 5 Church (though tends to be a bit more touristy).
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Another vote for S. N. O. B. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Since you will be passing through the Palmetto State (we welcome you).....thought this might add some benefit to your plannin. Enjoy your visit....happy to help with any questions you might have. Safe travels. 

https://amp.thestate.com/living/food-drink/article234347407.html
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • BigreenGreg
    Options
    Besides BBQ already mentioned, Pearlz oyster bar is always good, Grill 225 and Hall’s Chop house if you’re into spending $ (worth it), always love the Blind Tiger on Broad for the bar scene. And if your closing it down the Griffin is where the food servers go late night for fun. All in Charleston.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Vic’s on the river front is Savannah
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • AppStateDDS
    AppStateDDS Posts: 100
    edited August 2019
    Options
    For Charleston I’ll say that we have enjoyed 167 Raw, Cru Cafe (for lunch - at the counter overlooking the kitchen), and Lewis BBQ.  For Savannah, I will go back to Cotton & Rye, Treylor Park and Two Tides brewing.  There’s also a boutique retro cocktail lounge that I can’t think of in Savannah that was pretty cool.  This sounds like a great trip!  

Edit - Congress Street Up was the joint we went to last year.  I’ll swing by again but it’s not a “necessity”.   Savannah.  

Also, Pearlz Oyster Bar is a “must do” for me. If you can catch happy hour deals, do it!  Charleston.  
    Stuart
    Burlington/Alamance County, NC
  • Bayou_Buzzard
    Options
    All - thank you for all of the recommendations.  It is going to be hard to decide where to eat.  It all looks so good.  Looking forward to exploring an area of the country that I have not been to yet.

Had a group over tonight for Paella.  Though I would share the results.

From the shores of Lake Michigan.  Grand Haven.
    Unsalted and Shark Free
    XL.  Woo Adjustable Rig Combo.  Flame Boss 300.
  • BigreenGreg
    Options
    Looks divine
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • Wanasmoke
    Wanasmoke Posts: 388
    Options
    We’ve always enjoyed the Black Marlin on HHI. Good fresh fish selection, nice outdoor seating and a cool little tiki hut bar. Great sunset when we were there in June. 

LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • chabs
    chabs Posts: 14
    Options
    For Hilton Head/ Bluffton i’d recommend

Olive & Fig for fantastic Mediterranean food. One of our favorite spots. Thai smile across the road is another excellent locals spot. 

Pour Richards is a great locals spot in bluffton. For the best experience reserve seats at the bar that looks into the kitchen. Mostly upscale American food and fabulous deserts. Menu changes weekly. 

Hudsons seafood on the island is a great spot for a good waterfront seafood meal.
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    I just remembered reading a while back(could’ve been on here) that a guy that worked close with Aaron Franklin has a BBQ restaurant in Charleston area. If I remember correctly the article stated that it was as close to Franklin’s as you could get without having to drive to Austin. I don’t remember the name though. 
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    GaBGE said:
    I just remembered reading a while back(could’ve been on here) that a guy that worked close with Aaron Franklin has a BBQ restaurant in Charleston area. If I remember correctly the article stated that it was as close to Franklin’s as you could get without having to drive to Austin. I don’t remember the name though. 
    Yep that’s Lewis bbq that has been mentioned above. We toured his pits last time we were down there and it looked very much like The pics I’ve seen of Aaron Franklins setup.