Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami!

Options
Pastrami

XL  Central Ohio

Comments

• smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    This is the most beautiful picture I've seen today.  Very nice work!
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Nice! Details please 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Options
    Thanks guys.  I’ve attempted this before with less then spectacular results.  This time it worked out perfectly.  I followed the instructions on AmazingRibs.com:  https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/home-made-pastrami-thats-close-katzs-recipe

This started as 5.48 pounds of Choice grade brisket flat.  It spent a bit over 2 days in the curing brine with Prague powder #1, salt, pickling spices and brown sugar.  After the brine it spent 8 hours in fresh water to desalinate, then it got rubbed down with the pastrami rub from the above website.  It spent 3 days uncovered in the fridge dry brining.  

I was out of lump charcoal for my BGE so I smoked this on my WSM Smokey Mountain at 225F degrees with hickory chunks for smoke.  It took about 3 hours to reach an IT of 150F.  When it came off the smoker at an IT of 150F it went into a metal baking pan on a V-rack on the stovetop.  I added hot water, covered the pan with foil.  Used toothpicks to make sure the foil didn’t contact the meat (metal pan+foil+salts in the meat can create a reaction that melts the foil).  The meat was then steamed until it reached an IT of 203F.  This took about 2 1/2 hours.  When it was done I put it under the broiler on “low” for about 5 minutes to firm-up the crust.  Sliced it against the grain.  

Served this on dark rye bread with Swiss cheese and and a dressing made of mayo and homemade bbq sauce.  Grilled the sandwich to make the cheese a bit meaty.  Apologies to the purists for the lack of sour kraut, I never developed the taste for it. This was one of my favorite cooks in a long time.
    XL  Central Ohio
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Looks delicious!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.