Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Carnitas Experiment

Options
13»

Comments

• marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    One heck of a cook!   way beyond my energy level  :o
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    edited August 2019
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    smokingal said:
    GoooDawgs said:
    Incredible.   Are you related to @smokingal?!  You guys are killin it with the photos these days...
    @GoooDawgs If we are, he's from the saner side of the family.  The last time I made churros was back when I was smoking every single ingredient and figured out how to make smoked churros.
    Not too sure about "saner" but I'm certainly honored to be included in any context with her high quality cooks. She sure raises the bar high.
    I'd love to see pictures of a smoked churro but I'll admit I can't wrap my head around how that would taste. @smokingal How were they?
    @SciAggie They looked like any other churros, as they were made with cold smoked ingredients (flour, sugar, butter and cinnamon).  The taste of the churro itself was only slightly changed.  Just a hint of smoke.  Man, this was 7 years ago.  I'm slacking.  

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @smokingal See - that’s how we learn. I never thought about cold smoking the ingredients. I was somehow picturing smoking the churro after it was cooked. Thanks!
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I'm speechless. You are my hero, Sir!!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    1000 times YES!!!!!  This is bookmarked.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Excellent cook! I always enjoy the cooks you post.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

So much awesome right there!! Although this cook would have taken more than one LSB for me. And more than just a couple of churros.

How long did the meat go in the lard? Any use for what's left in the pot afterwards? Looks like it would be good in something.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    caliking said:

So much awesome right there!! Although this cook would have taken more than one LSB for me. And more than just a couple of churros.

How long did the meat go in the lard? Any use for what's left in the pot afterwards? Looks like it would be good in something.

More than one LSB was involved, trust me...
    I ended up smoking the meat over hickory on the egg for about 5 1/2 hours at about 250 degrees. It was in the lard for about 2 1/2 hours at between 195 and 205 degrees. I watched the temps carefully and checked every 15-20 minutes with my thermopen. 
    The meat drained really well and was not greasy at all - I was pleasantly surprised. I strained the fat just to make cleanup easier. It was actually relatively free of any undesirable material. I think you could filter it carefully and use it again with no problem. I would think you would want to refrigerate the fat since it is not longer pure lard. I chose not to keep it because a) I don't have the refrigerator space and 2) I probably wouldn't make this (or another confit type dish) before the lard went rancid.
    That may have been a mistake - I should have tried chicken legs or something just to see what the flavor was like... But yes I think the fat would be useful as long as it is used in a timely manner.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Fantastic looking grub right there. Who else wants to see a @SciAggie vs @smokingal throwdown?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Fantastic looking grub right there. Who else wants to see a @SciAggie vs @smokingal throwdown?
    the only losers would be folks like us who can't cook like those two!

awesome cook, thanks for sharing.  and that's some great work you're doing in the classroom.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • caliking
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    caliking said:

More than one LSB was involved, trust me...
    I ended up smoking the meat over hickory on the egg for about 5 1/2 hours at about 250 degrees. It was in the lard for about 2 1/2 hours at between 195 and 205 degrees. I watched the temps carefully and checked every 15-20 minutes with my thermopen. 
    The meat drained really well and was not greasy at all - I was pleasantly surprised. I strained the fat just to make cleanup easier. It was actually relatively free of any undesirable material. I think you could filter it carefully and use it again with no problem. I would think you would want to refrigerate the fat since it is not longer pure lard. I chose not to keep it because a) I don't have the refrigerator space and 2) I probably wouldn't make this (or another confit type dish) before the lard went rancid.
    That may have been a mistake - I should have tried chicken legs or something just to see what the flavor was like... But yes I think the fat would be useful as long as it is used in a timely manner.

Might be good for tamales, tortillas, or even biscuits. Its things like this that keep me up at night :)

And I'm somewhat envious of the kids who have the opportunity  to learn how to cook from you.

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    @SciAggie WOW.  I do have a question about the salsa you made for this. Is that green tomatoes?  And what exactly did you put into the salsa?  Thanks!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    edited August 2019
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I strained the fat just to make cleanup easier. It was actually relatively free of any undesirable material. I think you could filter it carefully and use it again with no problem. I would think you would want to refrigerate the fat since it is not longer pure lard. I chose not to keep it because a) I don't have the refrigerator space and 2) I probably wouldn't make this (or another confit type dish) before the lard went rancid.
    For What It's Worth-
    I've never saved rendered lard from a large chunk of pork before, but I pour my bacon grease into a 28-oz tomato can every morning before breakfast, maybe about a tablespoon at a time.  It takes me a couple months to fill a can, and there are plenty of browned bits mixed in.  I've never had one go rancid with no refrigeration, and use it to cook some things.  Granted, Oscar Meyer has a bunch of multi-syllabic chemicals added, and may never go rancid, but I also know my grandparents saved hog lard and used it all winter, "scraping the bottom of the barrel" by end of spring, and they're probably healthier than I am (except they're dead now).  
    A few cooking uses:  my favorite is frying corn tortillas in the bacon grease until soft, to make enchiladas, either rolled or stacked; its not authentic Mexican at all, but they're delicious.  
    Try sauteing raw green beans in bacon grease.  Or fresh corn-off-the-cob (mix in some small amounts of minced red & green pepper, onion, and garlic, for a great-tasting succotash).  
    And about a month ago I baked up some Pillsbury biscuits, out of a shiny blue tube, to have with my ribeye.  I was out of butter!  :o so I melted some bacon grease in a small frypan, split the baked biscuits in half, and dabbed them split-side down into the grease, and ate them that way.  Screw butter!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• SciAggie
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:
    @SciAggie WOW.  I do have a question about the salsa you made for this. Is that green tomatoes?  And what exactly did you put into the salsa?  Thanks!
    Those are tomatillos in the salsa. They are ubiquitous in this part of the world. You might have to look in the produce if they have a hispanic section - they will be in a green husk and you have to peel the husk off. They will have a slightly sticky residue also but it rinses off easily. 

I bought:
    about two pounds of tomatillos.
    A couple of jalapeños
    A couple of Anaheim peppers
    one poblano pepper
    two Roma tomatoes
    one yellow onion

Put all this on a baking sheet and pop it under the broiler until it all has some nice char. You might turn it and be sure to char it all over. How much is up to you - don’t be afraid to get a lot of char - it will taste fine.
    When you bring it out of the oven drop everything in a big bowl and cover it with foil or something. You want to let it all steam for 5 minutes or so. Everything will cook through. The tomatillos will lighten in color and everything else will get soft. Remove the stems from the chilies. I don’t worry about removing the seeds. 
    Then drop it all in a blender. Add salt and pepper - maybe 1- 1 1/5 tsp of salt? Blend it all together. Add the juice of 1-2 limes and check for taste. Adjust seasoning to make you happy. 
    When it cools I’ll chop a bunch of cilantro and add that in. If the salsa is thicker than you like, thin it with some water. 
    Use whatever peppers you like. Right now my wife is taking some medication that makes her a bit sensitive to hot stuff. That’s why I added the Anaheim and poblano pepper. If you like it hotter use hot peppers.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @Botch You are right. When I was a kid my mom always had a can of bacon grease on the counter beside the stove. I didn’t die... All of the uses you mention sound great. 

I guess I’ll be forced to make some more and save the fat for further use...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    @SciAggie
    Thanks for the write up about the salsa. I have never even heard of tomatillos. Will definately give it a try

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• caliking
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    caliking said:

Might be good for tamales, tortillas, or even biscuits. Its things like this that keep me up at night :)

And I'm somewhat envious of the kids who have the opportunity  to learn how to cook from you.

I like the way you think my friend - tamales...
    As far as the after school kids - yeah it’s a hoot. We don’t get fancy. These kids have limited resources at home. So teaching them to make meatloaf, spaghetti, mac & cheese, all the simple comfort foods is the name of the game. Hopefully they learn that cooking real food isn’t difficult and it’s affordable. 
    I am excited about one thing - I had a conversation just today about the possibility of starting a high school BBQ team. There are a lot of logistical, legal, and financial issues to work through but I have several folks who want to see it happen and are willing to help. This will be a whole new adventure. Yee Ha!

Let me know if the bbq team idea gains traction. I'd like to contribute.

All I want in return is a tshirt that says something like "Sciaggie knows things" :smiley:

• SciAggie
    Options
    @caliking I will keep you posted. There is genuine interest for sure. And it’s all about the t-shirt I know - so I’ll hook you up. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    SciAggie said:

Now I see it brother 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    What a great post brother. Sorry I missed it when it first hit the forum but I was offshore. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    That is just to good.... Nice cast iron pan, is it Griswold?

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    I am not worthy.... dang what a fantastic cook... BRAVO!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SciAggie
    Options
    That is just to good.... Nice cast iron pan, is it Griswold?
    It’s a Birmingham Stove & Range. I had a friend give it to me - if I hadn’t taken it they were going to throw it away. I have the matching lid and it’s in perfect shape. A pretty cool little skillet. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    I am not worthy.... dang what a fantastic cook... BRAVO!!!
    Thank you. This cook was a lot of fun.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon