Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket question

GlennM
GlennM Posts: 1,359
edited August 2019 in EggHead Forum
I have a nice Brisket from Costco that I trimmed down to about 9 pounds. My dilemma is, should I put it on at midnight tonight or at 6 AM tomorrow morning. I need it ready by 6 o’clock. I could go to 225 overnight or I could go 250-275 all day? What do you guys think?   I would prefer to not have it on all night but I can do that if that makes the most sense 
In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 

Comments

• JethroBodeen
    JethroBodeen Posts: 523
    edited August 2019
    I would put it on at midnight. Pull it in the morning, foil it, wrap with some towels and hold in a cooler until time to eat. This way the pressure tomorrow is non-existant...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    At 250-275*F on the calibrated dome you can put in on at 6 AM and plan for around one hour per lb.  It will likely (key word) finish in around 7-9 hours but the "friggin cow drives the cook."  My goal is to finish inside the FTC window which I equate to 2-6 hrs in width.  You can always dial it up around 300*F to punch it home if necessary.   Once the bark gets to your liking you can use butcher paper to hold the color or run nekked for the duration.  Foil is the key to power thru a protracted stall.  You've got this.  Trust the feel for the finish-line.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    You can do either, but plan in some time for it to rest.

Also, you're going to want to run it at 240-250 or higher.  225 is too low.  If you're getting above 275, you might think about injecting, and you'll probably have to wrap it.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I'm more of a better be safe than sorry. Start your fire about 10 throw your brisket on at 12 and then when it's done you've got plenty of rest time instead of trying to force it to be done. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• dgordon2nc
    dgordon2nc Posts: 100
    I’ve only done 2 briskets so I can’t say that I’m an expert. What I can say, based on my experience, the one I cooked at 275 went much smoother than the one I tried to cook at 230
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I’ve only done 2 briskets so I can’t say that I’m an expert. What I can say, based on my experience, the one I cooked at 275 went much smoother than the one I tried to cook at 230

I would agree. I'm at about 25 briskets over the last 10 years. When I smoked at 225-250 area, they were on the grill much longer and dried out more. I now adjust temp to have done in 6 hours (280-300). I also wrap with butcher paper for the last hour or so.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• GlennM
    Hmmm. Not sure what to do now.  I’m not able to get it in till midnight so that may be the plan 
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Do you have a pit controller?   If not I'd put on early am.
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    At 9 lbs, I would put it on 275. Should take 4-6 hours. Put it on at 10:00AM. Should be done by 4:00 with a 2 hour buffer. Wrap, put in a cooler and fill the extra space with towels. Will hold for 8 hours if needed.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    If it has to be ready to eat at 6pm, I'd get the egg setup tonight, and plan to get up earlier tomorrow.  You can always FTC it for a while if it's done early...making it finish faster if you've run out of time is a bit trickier.  Are you planning to foil at the stall?  
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited August 2019
    Not an original idea - @lousubcap suggested this when I had a tight window a while back.  Go ahead and get the egg going tonight.  I mean actually light it and set it for your desired temp (I do almost all Butts, ribs and brisket at 275 these days).  I don’t wait for it to stabilize, I just know about where to set the vents or I’ll attach the smobot And go to bed.

Set the alarm for about 5:00 or 6;00am.  Your egg is ready to go.  Add smoke wood if you like and put brisket on the stabilized egg.  Then start your morning routine or go back to bed for a bit if you like.  I do this all the time.  
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • GlennM
    I do have a controller so I like the idea of putting it on at 4 or 5 and going back to bed. If it was a butt I would just put it on all night. They seem to take forever 
  • Recently, a friend had a brisket finish way ahead of the expected time and @lousubcap suggested putting in aluminum pan, covering with foil and placing in the oven at the lowest temp the oven will do...ours was 170°. Brisket stayed that way over eight hours, and it was excellent! With that in mind, I wouldn't be afraid to start at midnight and not worry if it finishes early.
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326

Brisket and/or a Boston butts...

I smoke EVERYTHING at 225°... it’s called low and slow cooking for a reason.

I NEVER turn the heat up to speed up cooking or to get through a stall quicker.

I NEVER wrap my meat... brisket/butts/ribs to speed up the cooking time. 

I ALWAYS start my briskets/butts exactly 18 hours before I intend to serve them to my guests. 

Briskets and butts cook exactly the same. At 225° they will take 14 to 16 hours to become probe soft or reach 203°F. Depending on how many stalls there are or how long the stalls last. 

So... I know I’m going to get 2 to 4 hours in the cooler after the meat is finished smoking. Giving the meat that time in the cooler to redistribute the moisture in the meat makes everything better. 

If you prepare your cooler properly by preheating it... before putting your cooked meat in it, after you’ve double wrapped it with heavy duty aluminum foil, your meat will maintain at least 140°F for 4 hours.

So... that 18 hour plan covers every possible screw up that can happen on the normal brisket/butt cook. 

I use a temperature controller in my Kamado cooker that I trust to keep my cooking temperature at 225°F... overnight while I sleep. 

I usually start my brisket/butt cooks at 11:00pm. I usually Wrap them in aluminum foil when they’re done cooking at 1:00pm or 3:00pm... depending on how the stall/stalls went. 

I’ve smoke at least 200 briskets/butts using this system and nothing ever Varys very much... no surprises! 

I never worry about if I’m going to serve my guests later than I told them I would. I’m always early and never late...😎

• GlennM
    OK, it’s on at 225 (12:30 am). I think this is the best bet. I have the controller set for 225 and a couple of alarms on the “smoke” thermometer 
  • GlennM
    Well, I guess that was a good idea. I’m up now and it’s at 159 so all is well in Brisketville!  Thanks for all the help!
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Be sure and post the finish! I’m invested in this cook now...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • GlennM
    edited August 2019
    So, I’m sorry that there are no pics.  Everyone showed up and getting the food on the table was hectic. The brisket came out perfect!  I took it up to 203 degrees and it was really soft.  As a matter of fact, it shredded when sliced. 

We made:
    • Natcho  dip
    • Charcuterie tray
    • Veggies and dip
    • Potato salad
    • Coleslaw 
    • Brisket
    • Two rotisserie (brined) home grown chickens
    • Fresh corn
    • Sourdough baguettes, two boules (one with feta, olives and sun dried tomatoes)
    • Chocolate pudding
    • Homemade blueberry ice cream
    • Sous Vide creme Carmel with fresh raspberries
    • Numerous bottles of wine
    • Many craft beers
    If my wife has any pics I’ll post em but I was so busy keeping the food flowing I skipped the photos this time

Thanks so much for all the advice, I put the brisket on at midnight (225 with controller) and slept well, it was done about 3pm at 203 degrees. I had the smoke wireless thermometer in it and the remote by the bed. Woke up once and checked it, everything was fine!

A friend showed up with his new car and that distracted us for a bit

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    That sounds like a feast. I understand not getting pics. It happens to me when friends are over. The car is something else...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • GlennM
    Forgot we had baked beans as well

here is the only photo I can find

• Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    Congrats on the brisket!  I did my first last weekend.  Exact same situation as you.  I had a 9 pound packer that I threw on at 6 AM at 275, pulled when it hit an IT of 205 at about 2:30, FTC, sliced at six, and it was divine!  Glad you brought it home as well!
  • lousubcap
    Congrats on the cook.  Always a great feeling when you nail it. 
    You travel in high style given friends who own an A-M.  Sweet ride right there. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    GlennM said:
    So, I’m sorry that there are no pics.  Everyone showed up and getting the food on the table was hectic. The brisket came out perfect!  I took it up to 203 degrees and it was really soft.  As a matter of fact, it shredded when sliced. 

We made:
    • Natcho  dip
    • Charcuterie tray
    • Veggies and dip
    • Potato salad
    • Coleslaw 
    • Brisket
    • Two rotisserie (brined) home grown chickens
    • Fresh corn
    • Sourdough baguettes, two boules (one with feta, olives and sun dried tomatoes)
    • Chocolate pudding
    • Homemade blueberry ice cream
    • Sous Vide creme Carmel with fresh raspberries
    • Numerous bottles of wine
    • Many craft beers
    If my wife has any pics I’ll post em but I was so busy keeping the food flowing I skipped the photos this time

Thanks so much for all the advice, I put the brisket on at midnight (225 with controller) and slept well, it was done about 3pm at 203 degrees. I had the smoke wireless thermometer in it and the remote by the bed. Woke up once and checked it, everything was fine!

A friend showed up with his new car and that distracted us for a bit

Really sweet car.  Is it a thing . . . that car people park with the front wheels turned?  :-)  I had a co worker that did that.  Back straight into a parking spot and once he was done moving, and before he shut the car off, he would crank the wheel a bit.  He would have to pull straight out to get out of the spot after work too.  The lines on that AM are awesome.  Love the paint.  The rear looks mean too.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • GlennM
    Yes, it’s a crazy car. Close to 700 HP I think.  Too much car and money for me
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Great job, what a feast.
    canuckland
  • Did you make burned ends or slice the whole brisket?
    I've got a 13 Lb SRF black going on next weekend for my neighbors and I'm torn as to whether I want to dice the burnt ends.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • lousubcap
    @BigreenGreg - SRF brisket point is incredible.  Your call to sacrifice to burnt ends but no way I would do that with SRF (or any point for that matter  B) ).  Just an opinion...
  • Thank you, had heard so much about burnt ends that I was no longer sure the finished point would be presentable. I will trim the extra fat but leave the two pieces together. Thanks again. I've cooked other briskets successfully but was always just a flat.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • Bama_Man
    Bama_Man Posts: 12
    I usually use whole brisket that are 14 to 16 pound before trim. Mustard em down and rub em. Set temp at 235 and let er go at around 7pm. Check early next morning and go from there from there till my done temp is hit. Remove and Wrap in pink butcher paper and set in cooler for a couple hours. Always turns out great. I also always cover my plate setter with heavy foil shiny side up and that helps keep intense heat from bottom in a long smoke.   I also use the guru for temp control. That solves a lot of problems for sleepless nites. If you haven’t got on yet get one and you’ll love it. 
  • GlennM
    We ate most of it so I didn’t keep the point for burnt ends. Actually, it was fairly soft and hard to cut without falling apart.  Cutting the point into cubes may have been difficult