Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One of those days...

Options
LDR
LDR Posts: 414
I had to work last night for an upgrade, but was thinking about supper.  I had planned to do a timing run, to see how closely a few items finished when cooked at 350.  I got the turbo ribs and a few ABTs started at the same time, hoping for appetizers to be ready first, and then added the russets twenty minutes later.  I opened the lid to take a picture, and then couldn't close the lid back (on the first couple of tries).

Oh well, I guess I need to try out another recent purchase...

Comments

• PBandJ
    PBandJ Posts: 92
    Options
    I like your backup plan.
    Woodbridge, Va.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Fire up the oven. FWIW, that’s a fine looking rack! Soldier on. 
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I believe just the bolts broke. They are the same ones holding the handle onto the band. If you are desperate, unhook the springs, remove the bands and swap the bolts??

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• LDR
    Options
    Timing experiment for 350 degrees still succeeded - just had one heck of a "side overbite" during it.
    ABTs were ready just under an hour, and disappeared promptly.
    Ribs finished at 90 minutes
    I put the potatoes on 20 minutes after the ribs, and they fished at the same time, so 70 minutes on those.

Rub was a light dose of Woody's, and finished with a little Bullseye

• LDR
    Options
    And when it's been one of those days, might as well make some chocolate pots (which also makes SWMBO happy).  Don't recall who originally posted this, but it may be slightly different from the original.  I think I may have to put some amaretto into my next batch:

Chocolate Pots de Creme

This recipe makes enough for 10 4-oz mason jars. 

3 cups heavy cream

8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (the higher quality the better), coarsely chopped

6 tablespoons sugar

a pinch of salt

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

8 large egg yolks

Whipped cream

Heat a decent-sized container of water to 176 F using your Sous Vide. 

In a medium saucepan, bring the heavy cream to a simmer over medium heat.  Stir as it's heating so the cream doesn't burn.  Once it simmers, remove from the heat and whisk in the sugar, vanilla, salt, and chocolate.  Stir until smooth.  Use a spatula to scrape the bottom of the sauce pan, to lift any chocolate pieces that have settled in, and mix them back in.  Whisk in the egg yolks, one at a time, mixing well after each.  Transfer the mixture to a large liquid measuring cup for easy pouring, being sure to once again scrape any last bits of chocolate from the bottom of the pan.

Pour the mixture into the 10 mason jars.  Cap each container with a lid.  Tighten each lid to be "finger tight".  Once the bath gets all the way up to temp (176 F), cook the pots for 1 hour. 

Put them in the fridge and allow the custards to cool until they're fully set, at least 3 hours.  But, really, they are much better the second day...

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I think it was @JohnInCarolina that posted the recipe first.   I think.   Regardless, good eats there!! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite.