Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

camping trip - storing/reheating pulled pork

Hey Eggheads,

I’m planning on smoking a 12 lb pork butt to take on a camping trip this weekend. It should be done cooking on Friday morning, but it won’t be served until dinner on Saturday. Wondering what everybody thinks are my best options for storing and reheating.

I was thinking I’d shred the pork while it’s still warm, vacuum bag it and chill it in an ice bath, then store it in a cooler until time to reheat. Does that sound like a good plan?

How should I reheat? Toss the bags in a water bath? Fry in a pan? Simmer in a dutch oven? So many options!

Would love to hear some thoughts on this. My butts have always turned out great, but I’ve never served them as “leftovers” before.

TIA

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Your plan will work great. Heat you vacuum bags in water .... serve and enjoy
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Sous Vide cooking is by far the superior method of reheating meat I’ve ever tried. 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    Thats how I do it but I freeze mine generally and use them as ice blocks until I need them or they defrost.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • PeteG
    PeteG Posts: 14
    xfire_ATX said:
    Thats how I do it but I freeze mine generally and use them as ice blocks until I need them or they defrost.
    Hmmm... interesting thought. You don't feel like there is any adverse effect from freezing?

I like the idea of freezing, since I could cook it well in advance and not have to rush to throw everything together the morning I leave. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    freezing works great, i put a little coke in the bag before sealing.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I’m actually a fan of reheating in a pan or skillet. I like the crispy bits you get from pan frying. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I prefer to chill the shredded pork then vacuum seal. Don't know if it really makes a difference but seems like less liquid is squeezed out from chilled rather than warm.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    PeteG said:
    xfire_ATX said:
    Hmmm... interesting thought. You don't feel like there is any adverse effect from freezing?

I like the idea of freezing, since I could cook it well in advance and not have to rush to throw everything together the morning I leave. 
    Yes to putting in fridge first to not lose moisture in the vac seal.

No loss from freezing- eating Carnitas from the freezer now
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Reheat in the dutch oven with a bit of co cola.  easy peasy
    Signal Mountain, TN