Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Perfectly prepared Tri-Tip roast...đź‘…

Options
2»

Comments

• HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Lit said:
    The food looks good but tri tip is not a tough piece of meat. I have done many both ways sous Vide and just cooked like a steak and I never sous Vide them anymore.
    Hmmm... the Tri-Tip is cut off of the sirloin muscle. Every butcher and Chef in America will tell you Sirloin is tougher than tenderloin, Ribeye and New York strip steaks. That’s exactly why it sells for a much lower price than ALL of the more tender pieces of meat.👍

I haven’t reverse seared a Tri-Tip since I started Sous Viding them.👍
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    HogHeaven said:
    Lit said:
    The food looks good but tri tip is not a tough piece of meat. I have done many both ways sous Vide and just cooked like a steak and I never sous Vide them anymore.
    Hmmm... the Tri-Tip is cut off of the sirloin muscle. Every butcher and Chef in America will tell you Sirloin is tougher than tenderloin, Ribeye and New York strip steaks. That’s exactly why it sells for a much lower price than ALL of the more tender pieces of meat.👍

I was referring more to where you said “to make this tough cut of meat as tender as a filet”. I agree it’s a little tougher than a tenderloin but it’s no way a tough cut of meat. Also it’s about the same price as strips or ribeyes in a lot of the country. 
  • HogHeaven
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Lit said:
    HogHeaven said:
    Lit said:

I was referring more to where you said “to make this tough cut of meat as tender as a filet”. I agree it’s a little tougher than a tenderloin but it’s no way a tough cut of meat. Also it’s about the same price as strips or ribeyes in a lot of the country. 
    I think CLEARLY that it’s tougher than those other 3 cuts of meat. I don’t know a better more precise way to illustrate the difference in tenderness... other than saying... a tougher piece of meat comparatively... like I said.

Sirloin is more tender than chuck steak, but not as tender as a center cut of chuck.🤔   The Center cur of Chuck is a cut of meat most people have never heard of. It’s actually like ribeye. Google it.👍
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Curious why you don't season before putting it in the bag? 

Usually reverse sear mine after they have sat on the counter for an hour or more. Gonna give your method a try.
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • HogHeaven
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Matt86m said:
    Curious why you don't season before putting it in the bag? 

Usually reverse sear mine after they have sat on the counter for an hour or more. Gonna give your method a try.
    I dry brine the meat with just salt before putting it in the vacuum packed bag. Then after I take it out of the SV bag after the 15 hours... I blot it dry with paper towels, coat it with avocado oil and put my Santa Maria rub on it before searing it. 

The rub... will not penetrate the meat like salt does. Rub is a surface spice only. 

Sometimes i serve a bernaise sauce with my tri-tip. Sometime I use blue cheese and sometime I use varying compound butter recipes. 
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    @HogHeaven Tried this last night. I couldn't find this thread so I went off memory of reading back in August. Remembered most of it but I did change the SV temp to 127* because I usually pull tritips at 120-125* before reverse sear. 

15 hours, blot dry, seasoned and seared. It was good, wife thought it was best so far. It wasn't tenderloin tender but was good.

Posted up for this thread and someone linked it. Re read and see the 130* comment so Ill bump it to that.

Question: do you think the temp difference 127 vs 132 is the reason for 'tenderness' difference?

Ill be posting a new thread with my cook. Appreciate it if you comment there on what you see.

HB is my old stomping grounds. Started my career there, high school at Redondo. Mom still lives in RB. Im now in Fountain Valley.
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m