Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Columbia SC bbq joints

Options
last summer my wife and I took legal guardianship and responsibility for a 17 year old young man. Thursday he graduates from boot camp for the reserves. So we are headed to Columbia. Never had SC bbq. Where should we eat?
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited August 2019
    Options
    First, congratulations on the accomplishment.  I can tell you he will be in great shape as the heat and humidity here is equal or worse than back home. 

I can help you with the BBQ mission, and would be happy to meet up if helpful or if time allows. Can you tell me the day(s) of the week you will be in town? Believe it or not, many only open Thursday - Saturday. I have options though based on the info. Also, will you be staying in the area of the base? Downtown? Also happy to assist with other questions regarding the area if needed.. PM me if helpful, we can connect by phone. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lerxst6
    lerxst6 Posts: 6
    Options
    I’ve not spent a ton of time in Columbia - but remember going to a place called Maurice’s. At one point you could buy their mustard based BBQ sauce in grocery stores too. I’m a big fan of the mustard - but don’t use it too often. 

A true local can can probably be more helpful. 
  • northGAcock
    edited August 2019
    Options
    lerxst6 said:
    I’ve not spent a ton of time in Columbia - but remember going to a place called Maurice’s. At one point you could buy their mustard based BBQ sauce in grocery stores too. I’m a big fan of the mustard - but don’t use it too often. 

A true local can can probably be more helpful. 
    Maurice's is great for a BBQ Sandwich. There hash and rice is good, but not the best locally if you ask me. If trying SC BBQ, the hash and rice is as important as the Que itself.....in my humble opinion.  I also love (Maurice's fresh fried skins with the mustard sauce as a dipping condiment.  I don't eat this often as I hope to live another day or two. I think we can get Grim a solid location depending on the day, time and vicinity of where he will be.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Not BBQ but Yesterday’s in Five Points is always a solid choice for food and drinks. 

https://www.yesterdayssc.com/
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    @northGAcock I just landed and fly out Friday morning. We will be on base with our soldier all day tomorrow And not sure how graduation day Thursday goes. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    I saw they opened a Midwood Smokehouse in Columbia. Have you tried it @northGAcock ? The original in Charlotte is really good!
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • northGAcock
    Options
    @northGAcock I just landed and fly out Friday morning. We will be on base with our soldier all day tomorrow And not sure how graduation day Thursday goes. 

OK.....my recommendation in the following order is:

Wednesday lunch or dinner

Palmetto Pig - It is in the city (not a long drive from base) and is open for both meals. It is a buffet and this is a great time to go as it is near the university and they have not returned for the Fall session as yet. 
    http://www.palmettopig.com/

My sauce recommendation here is their original as opposed to the mustard. But i often divide mine and do both. The hash and rice is as good as the Que itself......my favorite combination of both is at this location.

Thursday

Palmetto Pig or Little Pigs BBQ - If staying in the area near the base Little Pigs might be slightly closer but my second choice if all else is equal. This one is only open for lunch on Wednesdays......you would be fine on Thursday evening.  littlepigs.biz

Doc's BBQ- Close to base and open Mon - Sat for lunch only. You go through a bit of a ruff area coming from I77 just so you know. Once you get past that you will be near the USC football stadium. docsbarbeque.com

I have others but i think this is a good starting point. My favorite is the Palmetto Pig. Not listed is Maurice’s (mentioned earlier in thread). It is good....and has been around for years. It has my favorite mustard sauce....which i have on my shelf in my kitchen. They are open lunch and dinner all days that you are here. 
    https://www.piggiepark.com/

• northGAcock
    edited August 2019
    Options
    RRog17 said:
    I saw they opened a Midwood Smokehouse in Columbia. Have you tried it @northGAcock ? The original in Charlotte is really good!
    I have not but have gotten good reviews. I will make it though. On weight watchers  and have to work off some more que before i can belly back up to the BBQ table.

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Absolute best “store bought” brisket I’ve ever had is in a relatively new bbq place called Pot Smokers near the  Vista. Was awesome. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have only had good BBQ in Columbia, SC once! It was @northGAcock beautiful home...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Sounds like you’re pressed for time, so I doubt you have time for a road trip....I’ve heard Sweatman’s in Holly Hill is the best in SC, but haven’t been there myself. Personally I don’t care for Maurice’s.  Good sauce, but their pulled pork is always dry.  His brother’s place, “Melvin’s”, in Mt. Pleasant is better IMHO.  If I had to choose a favorite in Columbia, I’d steer your toward Doc’s or Palmetto Pig. I like the variety better at Doc’s, but rice and hash at Palmetto Pigs is pretty tasty.  
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    Hometeam BBQ in 5 points.  They're known for their wings...and the pork sandwich I had was solid too.  
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    had to google the hash....thats definitely not new england red flannel :o
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    I am not a fan of maurices or Doc's on shop

I like little pigs, if you want something non-tradtional there is a good one in casye/west columbia (name escapes me but I'll think of it), and I have heard good things about hometeam but I have not been there myself yet
    Boom
  • northGAcock
    Options
    I am not a fan of maurices or Doc's on shop

I like little pigs, if you want something non-tradtional there is a good one in casye/west columbia (name escapes me but I'll think of it), and I have heard good things about hometeam but I have not been there myself yet
    Hites? If so, they are only open Fri an Saturday.

• northGAcock
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy were you able to catch some Que while in town? Also congrats again to your soldier. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy were you able to catch some Que while in town? Also congrats again to your soldier. 
    No, but I did swing through Maurice’s and buy some sauce!
  • northGAcock
    Options
    No, but I did swing through Maurice’s and buy some sauce!
    The hickory is my favorite....but the traditional is awesome. Let me know if you need to reload.

• RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    @northGAcock Thank you for turning me on that stuff!
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone